myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Freeride or Wide Freeride?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
outhaul

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The trend is wider/shorter but why?
Is it inherently easier or more cost effective to produce boards under 250cm?
Brian.bigfella@gmail.com

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 10:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The trend is actually moving back towards long/narrow. Like most things windsurfing, once someone figured out that wide, thin boards were a good thing every manufacturer took that to the extreme. Now things are moving back.

Take the Gecko 146, at 250cm long and 85cm wide, vs an RRD Firemove 140 at 238cm long and 90cm wide. The Gecko will "ease" onto a plane a little smoother and be a little more forgiving. It won't plane quite as soon as the RRD, but it won't be far behind.

I don't think that we'll see a mass return to 9' narrow boards, but long and narrow does have its charms. Having ridden many of the short/wides I can tell you there's an element of Mr. Toad's Wild Ride going on. For those of us who just like cruising that can be a bad thing.
Brian.bigfella@gmail.com

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bluefish1 wrote:
I think this is relevant to gvogelsang's post. Why do they design slalom boards super wide?

Because slalom is all about getting moving as fast as possible as soon as possible. There's no "transition" from non-planing to planing with a real slalom board. When they decide to go, they're gone. They're also designed for a WAY outboard stance with your feet curled around the rail.

All that's great if you're super studly windsurfing dude who sails 200 days a year and races. For those of us who are lucky to get 50 days a year it's exhausting and scary. I want to be comfortable, so no 90cm wide 130L slalom board, thank you very much. And yes, I have to put my ego aside when a pack of slalom guys races past me at twice my speed. But hey, at least I'm comfy.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What isobars wrote , using more language than me was , plenty of discussion exists on this subject. Their is no way anyone can say categorically that a Rocket Wide will do this that or the other better than the Rocket. TABOU made a gross error IMO the wide should have a different name, obviously it's a different board. I suppose your own thread is revelant

Having owned 1, bought 1YO , owned 3 months then sold, ridden offering from 2 other companies, I think it's not needed in my stash. A friend has a RRD n JP, and lives them both. They all were easy to ride, very quick to plane, seemed to be more at home with a slightly smaller sail than the largest suggested. I would be very reluctant to recommend over the Freeride , but certainly suggest a test . If that's not possible then look into those brands that have a forum..Fanatic..Starboard etc.

Joe: for a shop that doesn't like the Rocket Wide to not carry them,,a good decision, they can't be objective, the boards obviously have appeal, proven by that pretty much everyone has a wide version.

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
coachg

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 11:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bluefish1 wrote:
I think this is relevant to gvogelsang's post. Why do they design slalom boards super wide?

A slalom course is a short downwind sprint rounding 4 or more buoys or a short figure 8 course rounding two buoys and there can be quite a few sailors in one race creating a lot of dirty air. These conditions demand a board that will plane quickly & carry good VMG (Velocity Made Good) along with the ability to carry powerful fins & sails. When it comes to early planing width is king.

Coachg
outhaul

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian.bigfella@gmail.com wrote:
The trend is actually moving back towards long/narrow. Like most things windsurfing, once someone figured out that wide, thin boards were a good thing every manufacturer took that to the extreme. Now things are moving back.

Take the Gecko 146, at 250cm long and 85cm wide, vs an RRD Firemove 140 at 238cm long and 90cm wide. The Gecko will "ease" onto a plane a little smoother and be a little more forgiving. It won't plane quite as soon as the RRD, but it won't be far behind.

I don't think that we'll see a mass return to 9' narrow boards, but long and narrow does have its charms. Having ridden many of the short/wides I can tell you there's an element of Mr. Toad's Wild Ride going on. For those of us who just like cruising that can be a bad thing.

What about this comparison:
A classic longer shape like the Bic 148 @ 264cm x75cm vs the Gecko 146 @ 250cm x 85cm
coachg

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

outhaul wrote:
What about this comparison:
A classic longer shape like the Bic 148 @ 264cm x75cm vs the Gecko 146 @ 250cm x 85cm

The Bic is designed for fins around 45 cm with sails 6.0-8.5 while the Gecko is designed for fins around 50 cm with sails 7.0-10.5. You really can not compare these two boards side by side as one is for extreme light wind planing and the other is not.

Coachg
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have skills you don't need the wide. If your just getting into the straps
and learning how to plane, than the wide board is the way to go. The regular Rocket has been the bench mark for freeride boards for a long time.
My lake has more Rockets the any other board. I have the 115 LTD. Everyone is very pleased with their board choice...The stock fin sucks
gvogelsang

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NOVAAN wrote:
If you have skills you don't need the wide. If your just getting into the straps
and learning how to plane, than the wide board is the way to go. The regular Rocket has been the bench mark for freeride boards for a long time.
My lake has more Rockets the any other board. I have the 115 LTD. Everyone is very pleased with their board choice...The stock fin sucks

Novaan,

Thanks for the endorsement. I am going to pick one up - probable a 125 for my weight, and then also a fsw.

But I'll hold onto my Firemove for awhile - why not?
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 10:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm about 170 ish. My 115 is as big as I would ever need. I use it in lite wind 6.5 down to 5.5. It planes early, gets to wind with speed and turns great for a big board. I could go 7.5 on this board but never find the need to go that big. When it gets solid 5.5 or stronger I go to the 93 liter 3S.
Its fast enough , has great control, smooth ride and just fun to sail on. Its a nice jump for me and where I sail... My 115 is the LTD. The 3S is the CED and is very lite weight....
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: