myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Thommen Customs
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Waterat Pat

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 1:21 pm    Post subject: Thommen Customs Reply with quote

Second Wind Maui has started to stock Thommen custom boards. They look sweet I especially like the G-Wave perfect for the NorCal coast. I believe they are made in europe by Flikka which is much better quality compared to the asian factories IMO. The price is right too since a custom Quatro will set you back $2500-$3000. The strong dollar/weaker Euro has something to do with that. The link is here.

http://secondwindmaui.com/index.php/our-products/windsurfing/thommen-custom-boards.html
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Sun Feb 07, 2016 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The word custom I think is loosely used, Goya does likewise.
It's a production board built by a cottage factory in Slovenia, they look remarkably like Flikka, Because they are .

My Flikka is like a jewel, they make everything , fins, fin boxes mast track, all In house and very strong and nicely made. Maybe they source out the footstraps.

Thanks for posting, a great option for purchase.

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
VinceSF

PostPosted: Wed Feb 10, 2016 12:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

U2U2U2 wrote:
The word custom I think is loosely used, Goya does likewise.
My Flikka is like a jewel, they make everything , fins, fin boxes mast track, all In house and very strong and nicely made. Maybe they source out the footstraps.

Same with mine! it takes one allen key to tighten everything on the board which I keep attached to my harness at all time.
Lightest board I've ever had, and yes lighter than some production boards.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm wrong on my custom Thommen are customs.

They can be ordered with all details , measurements adjusted.

The board is hand shaped by Peter, , built by Flikka as I said.

outhaul

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's great news about the Thommens. I always wanted to try a Thommen eXp 165, at least I know they can be had, of course at a price$...
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since so many $$$ are involved, I feel obliged to remind folks of one basic truth and one basic question about custom boards.
1. The SHAPE matters much more than the logo.
2. How many of us are so damned good that off-the-shelf boards hold us back?

A few factoids. I've owned a dozen Thommens. Some were truly outstanding boards, some bored the hell out of me. Ditto several other brands. I also own many truly superior boards that came right off the production shelf from Thailand or Switzerland, and by the time they got to me they cost 10 cents on the dollar. I know many very average recreational sailors whose skills demand damned near nothing of their boards ... but who By Golly buy customs for one reason: habit (and they can afford a new one every 6-8 years.) Too bad their BOARDS are so bored. I also know many guys whose expensive custom boards were disappointing or even outright dogs.

Any buyer to whom 2 or 3 grand is actual money should ask himself and his candid friends whether his precious money is well spent if the objective is performance.
dllee

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess everyone who windsurf's seriously deserves a custom built board at least once in their lives, so $$$$ spent is well worth the experience.
I'm about 50/50 on customs, having owned Haut's, French customs, Preister's, a couple of Berky's, Loco Motions, Pearson/Arrows, and maybe that's it.
Working in windsurf shops for 23 years, going to most of the AWIA type trade shows those years, having "some knowledge" from 20 years of surfboard building designs, and being an active slalom racer and wave sailor my first 10 year's of windsurfing, I'd say it's ......50/50. For every 20 odd pure, my spec custom boards I've ordered, maybe 10 turned out good. But 5 would be dogs, while 5 very good. None exemplary, as hindsight showed within 5 years of getting the new custom.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 2nd Wind site has Thommen s starting at $2295, a Hood River store has 2016 Cobra built boards at $1999 to 2295.

I see that price is remarkable similar.

Since the Thommen is more like a 2017, seems a downright bargain.
Apples to Apples.

dllee

PostPosted: Fri Feb 12, 2016 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's the wait time on a Thommen?
If it's already IN the shop, it's not a custom for you.
While we might not specify amount of V, length of flat, or exact rail specs., a "custom" only applies if it's made to your specs.
wsurfn1426

PostPosted: Sat Feb 13, 2016 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zirtaeb and Isobars, I can appreciate your point of view, both of you are old school with a lot of years in the sport, and don't hold back on offering your opinion based on this. As far as I can tell, neither of you have even seen one of these boards in the flesh or sailed one. I am not sure you have even seen a Flikka built board. Thommen has been shaping for a lot of years, so I understand you feel you have an idea of what it might be like. You both have had multiple custom boards.

Just months ago (6/15), I took delivery of my first custom Flikka board. I contacted both U2U2U2 and VinceSF before I went through the hassle of US customs and buying one unseen. They were braver than me, but both felt it was worth it, and so far, I see why. My Flikka board seems on another level as far as build quality. Time will tell, but so far, I would purchase one again. Flikka sells non-custom designed boards as well, called their Core Line. If 2nd Wind has taken the importing and money exchange hassle out of the equation, and even better if one is in stock, you would not have to wait, or possibly, you might be able to demo one. Sounds like an opportunity for someone to consider if they have one in stock. If you are on Maui, I would suggest taking a look. I bet you will be impressed with what they are doing at Flikka. Thommen was. BTW, I have seen photos of Werner Gnigler (JP) in the factory building a board on the Flikka FB site.

Like I said, so far so good, and I am very happy with my Custom Flikka. Time will tell. Thanks to U2U2U2 and VinceSF for their encouragement.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: