myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
What fin? Another beginner question.
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
andreafuentes99

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 2:38 pm    Post subject: What fin? Another beginner question. Reply with quote

Hi everybody, and thanks for the earlier advice. I got my board Very Happy and have been practicing, lesson coming up this weekend, weather permitting.

Board is 170L 90 cm wide Exocet Speed Slider, I have a 5.5 Neil Pryde sail etc.

However, it came with a really really long fin, like a race fin. I think it's 50 cm or maybe more.

Problem: sailing in Biscayne Bay, Miami; home of very shallow water and sea grass. Yeah i suddenly get stuck here and there if I"'m near the shore. Can't sail too close to shore, which isn't ideal for beginner that doesn't want to get stuck and unable to return home.

What fin would you recommend, all around, flat water, light winds, beginner with that board. Say 8-15 knots, at most some light to moderate chop not ocean waves. It's a Tuttle box I believe is the right term. THANKS.
andreafuentes99

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here's a picture of my fin on the beach, with my boyfriend standing by it.

giant fin.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  164.13 KB
 Viewed:  16439 Time(s)

giant fin.jpg

carl

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You need a weed fin. They are raked back so it doesn't get stuck on sea grass. They are also less deep because of the rake angle. Not sure what size fin for that board and sail combo (I don't often sail wide boards) Ask your windsurf shop to to suggest the right size weed fin for your board+sail size, if someone else here doesn't answer. My guess would be a 40cm weed fin.
andreafuentes99

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 3:50 pm    Post subject: thanks Reply with quote

Thanks... I'll check with Progressive Sports. And I looked at the fin when I got home and it is a 60 cm fin, so it's realllly long.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The appropriate length fin for this board is pretty long, the 5.5 m sail is really small. Weed fin I think also, but size not so big, 33--35.
MFC ..weed burner
Makani Hahalua either 1 or 2 version.

Difficult to say, if you are lightweight , think smaller, over 175 then the larger end. As well when you go up in sail size you will need longer.

I would get some opinions and maybe average them out, also consider used.

True Ames make nice weed fins as well.

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
andreafuentes99

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 4:03 pm    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

I"m about 150 lbs ... will check out the fins you suggested!! thanks.

Yeah, I know I can go with a bigger sail; but I'm still in beginner stage so staying on the smaller end. I actually have a 7.2 square meter sail but don't have the mast for it yet.
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I sail at South Padre island, I have very good results with MFC weed fins.
I use a 40 cm with my 5.5 but on a much smaller board. Keep in mind that weed fins are not as efficient as a more up right fin. In weed less water, I use a 30cm fin for that same sail. I would think that your going to get a bigger sail soon so think on the larger size for that weed fin. Be fore warned that its very easy to kick a weed fin with your feet. Be aware of how far back that point is on that new sharp fin is...
carl

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 5:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kicking the fin (as Novaan said) really is only a factor if you are WaterStarting (or attempting to WS). Since you say you are a beginner, I would assume you are only uphauling the sail. (If you can WS you are not a beginner).

If you are having trouble going upwind (as most beginners do), you would be better off with a larger weed fin. In general, a larger fin makes it easier to go upwind. A 30cm fin is half the size of a 60cm, that will be a huge difference.
I notice your board has no center fin (daggerboard), so a longer fin is even more important for getting upwind. When you ask Progressive, also let them know you are a beginner and the board has no dagger to help get upwind.
Bigger boards also need bigger fins or they spin out easier when you are planing and using the harness (are you planing, using foot straps or using the harness?) It is better to define what skills you have rather than to just say "beginner" or "intermediate".
gvogelsang

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is another fin for shallow water conditions:

http://www.blackprojectfins.com/windsurf-fins/windsurf-fins/freedelta-re-ultra-short-freeride-for-shallow-water/

Something to consider.
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Tue Feb 09, 2016 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's the fin I'd use if I were Andrea, and I'd get a big one.

-Craig

gvogelsang wrote:
Here is another fin for shallow water conditions:

http://www.blackprojectfins.com/windsurf-fins/windsurf-fins/freedelta-re-ultra-short-freeride-for-shallow-water/

Something to consider.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: