myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
What fin? Another beginner question.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to visualize what you have written, esp the verbiage, and I sail a boat as well.
Far too techno, Techno.

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
techno900

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 11:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Moving back if wind increases, not too "techno". Why you move back in increasing wind may be too "techno" for some, but I don't think it is too complex for most.

Most people like to know why, when they are instructed to do something.

Maybe, "move back on the board when the wind increases to balance the additional force in the sail". KISS.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 12:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The term stern, who calls the back of a windsurf board that..?

BEAM REACH, well if your into sailing terms that fits.
You missed the point.

I assume you like the band Kiss
And are not saying to me KEEP IT SIMPLE STUPID

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
techno900

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If anyone learning to windsurf doesn't know where the stern is, they probably should stick to inner tubes. Beam reach or perpendicular to the wind, should be clear enough for just about anyone.

Regardless, I am sure Andrea gets the picture. No big deal here, just having some fun.

KISS was addressing my statement: "move back on the board when the wind increases to balance the additional force in the sail". The stupid part refereing to me.
coachg

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

techno900 wrote:
You are just balancing forces.

Windsurfing 101. When the COE (Center of Effort) & the CLR (Center of Lateral Resistance) are lined up the board steers straight. When first learning we steer by tilting the COE/Rig forward of the CLR to turn down wind & tilt the COE/Rig behind the CLR to turn upwind.

The CLR is located roughly at the centerboard (middle of the board). As the board starts to move faster the nose starts to rise, the waterline shortens & the CLR starts to move towards the back of the board. To continue to steer straight you need to keep the COE over the new CLR that has moved back. If you don't move the COE back the board will want to turn down wind.

So yes, you are balancing the COE over the CLR.

Coachg
swchandler

PostPosted: Sat Mar 12, 2016 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very well said coachg, and it all makes perfect sense.

Yet, the trick is knowing what to do intuitively out sailing around in the variable conditions. Actually though, it's not that hard once you get familiar with the harmony and balance of everything.
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gotta agree with Steve here, it may be intellectually stimulating to know
the physics, but when you're doing it, it needs to be intuitive. Calculating
out where your feet should be when the COE gets over the CLR at 20 MPH speed, with a fin of aspect ration 6, and a board width of 24" while turning to ride a swell, well if you do that you just missed your tasty swell ride, by about 10 swells no matter how quick your are mentally ;*)

The physics is fun, no doubt about that, and I love a good formula, and
some mental gymnastics..........on the beach!

-Craig

swchandler wrote:
Very well said coachg, and it all makes perfect sense.

Yet, the trick is knowing what to do intuitively out sailing around in the variable conditions. Actually though, it's not that hard once you get familiar with the harmony and balance of everything.
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Mar 13, 2016 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

techno900 wrote:
If anyone learning to windsurf doesn't know where the stern is, they probably should stick to inner tubes.

But wouldn't that give them a brain freeze ... since the whole dang tube is stern? Or is it all bow? Shoot, now I'M confused ... and an inner tube is part and parcel of explaining to someone how to re-orient our rig and board -- without swimming -- for the next waterstart.
andreafuentes99

PostPosted: Thu Mar 17, 2016 2:26 pm    Post subject: not confused Reply with quote

Thanks all, I get the idea about moving back on the board as needed to adjust to wind conditions etc. Wink Appreciate all the great advice.
ittiandro

PostPosted: Sat Jul 30, 2016 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'have been windsurfing for many years, so I am not really a beginner.

I just bought a Bic 11'6" WindSup as I preferred to trade off the " planeability" of the shortboards for a better stability and light winds performance.

What size of fin is recommended on a Bic WindSup 11'6" to replace the standard Dolphin fin for a better lift and and directional control , especially in non-flat waters and moderate winds?

I am being offered a 2nd hand 33 cm( 30cm) weed fin with an approximately 40 ° angle. Unlike the Dolphin, it is very, very stiff and because of its surface it promises a better performance than the Dolphin.

l'd be using it with a 5.6 and /or a N.P. Garda 6.2, in light to moderate winds.I generally sub-plane

Under these conditions, I wonder if the above-mentioned weed fin is a good match for these sail sizes and if I should expect a better performance on the WindSup, compared to the Dolphin fin.

Thanks

Ittiandro
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: