myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
San Diego goes off
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
loopless

PostPosted: Sun Feb 14, 2016 11:07 pm    Post subject: San Diego goes off Reply with quote

We don't get this too often, but this winter has been amazing so far. Today was overhead+++, side-off, breaking way outside. Fully powered on big gear. No surfers or kiters to deal with.

Tourmaline.jpeg
 Description:
 Filesize:  68.2 KB
 Viewed:  16046 Time(s)

Tourmaline.jpeg

MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice report!
jp5

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No surfers??
LeeD

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 12:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Surfer's don't like closeouts.
They're probably at the far end of the beach where the channel appears to be.
nw30

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's Tourmaline?
When did they remove Crystal Pier and Point Loma?
loopless

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The photo is from above PB ( Pacific Beach) point at a park called Calmut Park. Tourmaline beach is hidden around the corner.
Just to be clear, we were sailing the wave in the picture, taking off outside and riding the right into the channel and beyond...

The surf was big enough it was breaking way outside PB point at a break called "Hermos" (sp?).
Hermos is rarely surfed as
- it only breaks at 8ft+
- it's a crappy surfing wave as it's really hard to paddle into. Then the next section is pretty much un-makeable on a surfboard. Plus if its windy it is very exposed and choppy.

Grainy Tourmaline surfline cam video of that day...this is the inside end of the wave after a loooong ride from outside the point. We didn't take many waves inside that day as you ended up dealing with all the surfers sitting on the inside, but this one was too tempting.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/x9kl80j7ztx7465/tourmalinecam.1720.2016-02-14.mp4?dl=0
sailtildark

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 5:31 pm    Post subject: PB Point Reply with quote

One of my favorite aquatic memories is surfing PB Point with Skip Frye in the mid 90s. I was riding my housemates authentic 60s log (he bought it new so long ago), and Skip was the only other one out there. He was trying to catch waves on his fish but as said previously, the wave is hard to catch. When he saw the luck I was having he ran back to his shop to get his log too. I even got barreled on that log on the inside section Very Happy
nw30

PostPosted: Thu Feb 18, 2016 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

loopless wrote:
The photo is from above PB ( Pacific Beach) point at a park called Calmut Park. Tourmaline beach is hidden around the corner.
Just to be clear, we were sailing the wave in the picture, taking off outside and riding the right into the channel and beyond...

That makes sense, I used to live down there in PB, surfed Tourmo and Law St. and PB Pt. everyday after work, from the late 60's into the early 70's.
We used to access PB Pt. from that walkway, which was a dirt path back then from Archer St., which has since been renamed Sea Ridge Dr.
That path became so popular back then, that the neighbors complained to the city because all the street parking was taken up by all us surfers, so they painted all the street curbs red along Archer St., Linda St. and Bandera St.
But now it's Sea Ridge Dr. and I've noticed that the curbs are no longer red, so I guess everyone now uses Law St. and the Tourmo. parking lot.
Used to also surf Bird Rock (before leashes) it was brutal on boards, got pretty good at grabbing the board during a wipeout, had to, $$$$$$.
I destroyed a 1967 Hansen~Mike Doyle model out there one day, still brings a tear to my eye whenever I think about it.
loopless

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup that was probably the golden age of surfing. Tourmaline is full of 'would be if they could be' types and some very sketchy 'lot lizards' in the parking lot now. I go, I sail, I get out of there.

Last edited by loopless on Fri Feb 19, 2016 1:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
kevinkan

PostPosted: Fri Feb 19, 2016 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

awesome! what size gear were you riding that day?
https://www.instagram.com/sunsetsailboards
http://www.facebook.com/sunsetsailboards
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: