myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
?? Inflatable windsurfer's - reliability?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gregnw44

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 10:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GT - Yes, thanks.
< So yes, they should attract newcomers to our sport, but with a clear understanding of the possible dangers. Then again, as you say, if they cost as much as a Kona, but only last for a quarter of the time ..... >

Yes, I REALLY think these inflatables can help grow the sport to "some" new people!!
Perfect for a world full of flat water, light wind, windsurfing fun (and YES, there are people who will go out and play in "those" conditions Smile

But I want to know all the pros and cons... and any limitations... before I promote them like crazy.

* Anyway, they're great for people living in condos and apts who have no storage room.
* People who refuse to put a roof rack on their car, or aren't strong enough to lift a longboard on their roof.
* And maybe we'll get more women into the sport, because the mid-size inflatables, are so "easy to carry around and store" while deflated.
Greg Smile
coachg

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My dad bought me a Sevylor Tahiti Kayak http://www.inflatablekayakworld.com/sevylor-tahiti/
in the late 70's. He used to drop us off at the American River every weekend during the summer & we would float/paddle home 23 miles in and out of some rapids. That was a lot of UV exposure. I gave that kayak to one of my coe-workers in 2008 & his kids are still using it every summer in the Sierra lakes.

Today's inflatables have got to be built better than my old K77. As for the leaks, they are obviously easier to spot than on a regular windsurf board. A quick wiping of water on the kayak before we would head out would turn up any leaks before we would head out. No cell phones back then so a 20+ mile hike carrying a deflated raft was not an option.

I would think that today's inflatable kayaks would last 20 years easily with proper care & maintenance and be safe. A major leak would be easy to spot prior to sailing and a leak so small as to not be found with a water/wipe test would not pose a major risk. Yes the inflatable would slowly deflate to where it could not support your weight, but not before you would notice the deflating & be able to get back to shore.

Coachg
nw30

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In regards to reliability of inflatables, here's a vid that can answer your questions. The vid is 8 years old, and things have only gotten better since then.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TeqIgbunLfs
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

First thing is , This is a SUP INFLATABLE.
2nd thing is, how would anyone know if it was damaged ?

It does show some crazy behavior

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
beaglebuddy

PostPosted: Sat Feb 20, 2016 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Inflatables are more buoyant per given volume, this is certainly an advantage. Think about that for a moment, a board big enough to float you will be smaller.
joethewindsufa

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 5:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I asked SB on their forum as I was interested as well

http://www.star-board-windsurfing.com/forum/showthread.php?p=65409

and this is what they had to say ...

Hi Joe,

Windsurfing isn't exactly the safest sport there is, I think we call agree to that. That being said, our AirPlanes can be considered pretty safe; and almost as safe as a hard board but let's talk worst case scenario...

You can throw them down from the fourth floor and they won't have a scratch. We've done it, others have done it. There are videos online of people doing it. Leakage? A leak can happen, and all boards come with a repair kit just in case. All leaks are quite slow, and you should notice it quite quickly as the deck will become soft first, but leave you plenty of time to return to the beach. However, most leaks happen as soon as the board is inflated and we would catch that when we QC the boards before shipping them.

Finally, our AirPlanes have a special mast track insert which slots itself in a matching hole in the board where wall pressures keeps it in place. If the rig applied extreme force on the board, say in a catapult, the insert will pull out from the board before damage is done: a safety precaution to avoid the board deflating at sea... You'll notice most of the other manufacturers have their inserts directly in the board, which can be dangerous.
We've also jumped, rode small waves and looped on the AirPlanes and the boards withheld the punishment.

So yes, we can say there are pretty safe boards and for the user too. Since they're soft, they won't hurt if you hit your head on them. That being said, we always recommend wearing a life-vest if you are heading far out.

As for durability, the technology has been around for a couple of years. We've been making inflatable WindSUPs since 2013 and refining that technology ever since, with different materials and manufacturing processes. And if you want to extend their lifespan, make sure you deflate them after use and when storing the board. Rinse them with clear water and do not leave them fully inflated in the sun for long periods of time as pressure will increase and put more stress on the seams.

Hope this answers your question.

Thanks,
gregnw44

PostPosted: Thu Feb 25, 2016 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks ALL... for the feedback... great stuff to think about!!

And thanks Joe, for posting on the Starboard forum!

I posted this topic on 2 of their forums - the "Free Forum", and the "Ask the Team Forum"... BEFORE I posted my questions to iWindsurf. I didn't get any replies on either Starboard forum... but you finally did... excellent!

So I posted a follow-up question to Antoine in Starboard's Marketing Dept, about... the mast-track which "might" (in the case of a major catapult) pull out of the board !!!
There is no built-in tether or leash, that I've seen. So, if the track pulls out... the board and rig would not be connected... and the inflatable would blow away before I could grab it. This is an area, they should address... since they seem aware that on a brand new board, your rig and board "could separate". In the 80's all boards had built-in tether leashes, the owners at Starboard know this and it should be addressed on these new inflatables!!

And I asked a follow-up about jumping and landing these boards, since "he is the one that brought it up". A video showing this performance and durability would sell a lot of boards Smile

"Skeptical me" is slowly getting convinced, by the info shared here by iW members... and by Starboard marketing... that these new inflatables might last much longer than just a few years, if - they were manufactured correctly... and taken care of correctly... and not abused very much.
G Smile
beaglebuddy

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't like the idea of that pop out feature, board blows away and rig sinks to the bottom of the sea Sad
nw30

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not if it's an IRig, they float, but how hard could it be to add a short rig leash to the board using a tie-down that could be glued to the board if it doesn't already have one, and tying it to the base of the universal?
Sounds like a pretty easy solution to me.
rollerrider

PostPosted: Fri Feb 26, 2016 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to be safe use a PFD, a wetsuit, don't go farther than you can swim and avoid conditions you can't handle. The bigger question is how well do they sail? I tried one a couple years ago and was surprised at how unstable it was. So floaty it was tippy. not that great for a newbe. Fins did not work well either. Maybe the newer designs are better.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: