myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Moving to Maui
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jse

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 6:49 pm    Post subject: Moving to Maui Reply with quote

We have sold our California home, found a home in Maui which will be ours within a week (fingers crossed). Now it's hurry up and wait. We did not expect things to move this quickly - specifically finding a home in Maui and closing the deal - but we had good people to work with both here and there. Now we are waiting the last gating factor before moving - the quarantine of our dogs. This should be complete by the first part of May. Ugh. It's been a long process and will play out in the coming weeks and months. If anyone needs advice on doing the same, I'd be happy to share my experiences. By the same token, I'd love to hear from Maui residents any recommendations: Barbers, Dentists, Veterinarians, Banks, etc... We will be on the North Shore, in Haiku. I'd like to keep the driving to a minimum. I'm through with crossing bridges, unless they're on the road to Hana.

Steve
windfind

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Steve,

The Bay Area crew will miss you! For a dentist use Chris McNeil. He and his wife Annie are avid windsurfers and kiters. They used to live in the Bay Area.

There are a bunch of Gorge sailors that spend the winter mostly at Kanaha so you can ask their advice. There is lots to learn about local customs and people.

Below are some of my old Maui photographs to tide you over until you arrive at your new home! I was not too good keeping windsurfers in focus back then. There is even one old photo of me on a wave looking for a perfect place to jibe!

Take care,

Mike Godsey
iwindsurf.com/ikitesurf.com
Weatheflow.com

Maui times.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  505.25 KB
 Viewed:  15868 Time(s)

Maui times.jpg

jse

PostPosted: Tue Feb 23, 2016 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mike, We know Chris and Annie, stay at their Bodega Bay Birdwatch sometimes. I will look them up. And as an added bonus, my work which I do remotely will bring me to Portland for meetings on a monthly basis. This will help alleviate the island fever and allow us to sail the Gorge!

Steve
coachg

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 12:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sausalito Steve,
We are going to miss you at the Rio ABK camps, but it is great you are moving to a warmer water environment.

Coachg
jse

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More than anything, I am going to miss sailing in the Delta, Coachg!
boggsman1

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jse wrote:
More than anything, I am going to miss sailing in the Delta, Coachg!

More than the 3.7 Tomales days, with oysters after? c'mon man.
jse

PostPosted: Wed Feb 24, 2016 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have a point there Boggsman. Fortunately I will be experiencing that before the move. Might not get to the Delta though.

Steve
scottwerden

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We moved to Maui about 3 years ago, from Seattle and the gorge. Actually still have the gorge place but are selling it. We live in Haiku.

As to the dog - we found Alaska airlines to be the cheapest, at $100. Hawaiian wanted $750. The catch is, they have only one spot for a dog per flight so you have to reserve it well in advance. I would call them up with the date(s) I was interested in, and once I knew it was open, book a ticket for me on-line, then call back and get the spot for the pooch.

Your dog has to be released to a vet at the airport and we used Central Maui Animal. But you should call At-Home Vet in Kahului. They have an office but also do home visits and unfortunately our dog was to the point of needing to be put to sleep and we wanted it done at our house. They are very nice people and helped us with our dying dog. I am sure they will do airport pick-up also.

Barber - I saw a sign that said "Hair cuts" one day and just stopped there. It is in Makawao. Country Cuts. It's your typical upcountry no frills haircut. One of the few things here cheaper than in Seattle.

A lot of people who come here for windsurfing end up surfing and SUP'ing just as much if not more. The waves are so good here that you can't wait for the wind to blow, you gotta get out. It has been overhead and larger for weeks on end this winter.
jse

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Scott, that info is very helpful! We are bringing 4 dogs with us. So we have our work cut out.

Steve
scottwerden

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 2:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yikes! Four dogs will be a handful.

Maui is a different place, than at least Seattle, dog-wise. We always walked our dog every day in Seattle, and the gorge, and did the same when we moved to Haiku. We rarely run into other people here walking their dogs and I think we were the only ones picking up our dog's poop. People here like dogs but they are not out with their owners everywhere like on the mainland. In principle, dogs are illegal on the beach but some people bring them to the beach, but rarely on a leash. I have never seen anyone ticketed.

Hawaii State dog is a pit bull, I am sure.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: