myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
OBX WIND WEEK,in April
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 11:26 am    Post subject: OBX WIND WEEK,in April Reply with quote

http://obx-wind.com/

Some activities are going on the week of April 16.

A race from Island Creek to the reef is planned, wind cooperating of course, details on the above site. The groups are divided into only 2, the race is out to the reef twice, with support from local shops .

Anyone else looking at doing this ?

Some of my pals are looking at doing this , myself I don't think my arms would last that distance , however I may do one lap at a recreational pace.

I noticed that the fall AWT is not scheduled for Hatteras, after last years great windy event this is unfortunate.

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
whitevan01

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would do it but am off the following week.
pete1111

PostPosted: Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be down there kicking some @$$ Wink
mewindsurf

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be there kicking some Pete Smile Haha!

This is going to be a great time! True ECWF style with the focus on fun. If you win, you win, but the idea is to get everyone on the water and have fun with your buds.

Also a HUGE raffle with prizes including a Starboard Waveboard, Sails from Severne and Point-7, A couple masts from NoLimitz, a boom and more from Chinook, a trip to La Ventana, goodies from Dakine and more!! To pick up some raffle tickets and register to race go to www.OBX-Wind.com All proceeds go to the East Coast Windsurfing Association which a a not for profit organization that helps support events and lessons up and down the East Coast and help grow the sport.

See you in Hatteras!!

Mike Burns
fanatik

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 10:16 am    Post subject: Reef Race Reply with quote

I'm in for the race, first ever in 30 years of sailing. I like the idea of sailing that far. I got me some Freeride Gear this year.
mewindsurf

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Folks that are going to sign up.... It would help just to get a handle on how many guys and gals will be racing if you pre-register online. You can go to www.obx-wind.com to register. You can pay via paypal on the website or pay in cash at the on-site registration at Ocean Air Sports. It's $20.00 either way. It would REALLY help me out though to get most of the registration forms before race day. Simply fill in the form on the website and e-mail it to me if you want to race. My e-mail address is on the site by the registration form.

This is going to be a fun race and a great week in Hatteras! You don't need race gear either. There is also a 6.5 and down class for both men and women. My wife is all over the 6.5 women's class Smile So make it a family affair! Most guys in that 6.5 class will be on wave gear, so you won't even be competing with the slalom boys. At the end of the day there are always some great stories and lots of smiling faces.

See you in Hatteras!!

Mike Burns

www.obx-wind.com
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

According to the classes OBXWIND SITE
The Freewave class is for sails under 6.5

NOT 6.5 and under.

Perhaps a typo here or there.. Clarify ?

mewindsurf

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the 6.5 limited class includes a 6.5. It's a typo. We'll change the wording as soon as our web designer has a chance. Thanks for letting me know!

Mike
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 11:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kool, that makes sense then on the 6.5 and under.

The race sign up is $20, which includes a raffle ticket , which is a $10 value.

Are there any other incentives for the fun ?

The fun factor is worth that plus !!

Obvious the wind will play into this, do you have any details on which days may be the ones looked at most... The weekend would probably have more potential sailors . I assume Ocean Air will have the skinny once in place.

mewindsurf

PostPosted: Wed Mar 02, 2016 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We've also have some trophies in the works for the top finishers! I guess the only other benefits of competing besides the raffle ticket would be the fun, laughs, stories, racing, parties, trophies, raffle and most of all, bragging rights for a year! I guess the last benefit of entering the race would be that if we get enough people to sign up, we'll do it again next year Smile

In Hatteras the house rentals change over on Saturdays and Sundays, so a weekend race day is kinda out of the question since guys are on their way out and on the way in all weekend. The race will go off ideally on the first day with winds in the 18-25 mph range. We'll have 5 days to choose from, so I'm sure we'll get it.

More wind than that and we start running into logistical problems with the course and this is the wind range where almost everyone at any level can join in the fun. I can't stress enough that this is all good fun!! If you can plane on a windsurfer, you're ready to race!!! If all you have is wave gear, we've got the 6.5 limited class for you. Most guys and gals in this class will be on the same type of gear. If my slalom kit doesn't show up in time, I'll be racing on my 5.2 and freestyle board in this class!

I can't wait for this event!!

Mike
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: