myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
The play for 2020
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 107, 108, 109  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nw30

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

boggsman1 wrote:

But I agree the economy is ripping....that's why its troubling to see the 270 pound baby attempting to F it up....

Do you think the economy would be "ripping" like it is, if the female misogynist, managed to beat the 270 pound baby?
boggsman1

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nw30 wrote:
boggsman1 wrote:

But I agree the economy is ripping....that's why its troubling to see the 270 pound baby attempting to F it up....

Do you think the economy would be "ripping" like it is, if the female misogynist, managed to beat the 270 pound baby?

Yes...the economy and the Clintons go hand in hand.
22,000,000 jobs
20% plus market returns annually
rip roaring wage gains( something lost on the Orange one)
and 4% + GDP
HRC is a free market globalist, something which has worked quite well for the past 30 years....We are now entering Herbert Hooverland with all the tariffs, and immigration control(think reduced HB-1's,and the end of DACA)
mac

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think the economy would be creating jobs at all if Obama and Bush II had not intervened to prevent massive bank failure--as favored by the Chicago economic school and folks like Bard. But if Trump keeps appointing crooked bankers, like this guy, and gutting consumer protection the bubble will burst again.

Quote:
THE ENVIRONMENTAL PROTECTION Agency has tasked a banker who was banned from the banking industry for life with oversight of the nation’s Superfund program.

In May, the Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation fined Oklahoma banker Albert Kelly $125,000. According to a consent order, which The Intercept obtained through the Freedom of Information Act, the FDIC had “reason to believe that [Kelly] violated a law or regulation, by entering into an agreement pertaining to a loan by the Bank without FDIC approval.”

Two weeks later, EPA Administrator Scott Pruitt appointed Kelly to lead an effort to streamline the Superfund program. In July, the FDIC went further, banning Kelly from banking for life. The “order of prohibition from further participation” explained that the FDIC had determined Kelly’s “unfitness to serve as a director, officer, person participating in the conduct of the affairs or as an institution-affiliated party of the Bank, any other insured depository institution.”

But Pruitt, who had received loans from Kelly’s bank, apparently didn’t find Kelly’s unfitness to serve in the financial industry as disqualifying his longtime friend from serving as a top official at the EPA. Since May, Kelly, or Kell as he was known in Oklahoma, has led the effort to streamline the Superfund program — which oversees remediation of some of the country’s most toxic sites.

Kelly would become a senior adviser in the federal environmental agency despite having no previous experience with environmental issues.
Pruitt earned only $38,400 as an Oklahoma state senator. Even with a $35,000 profit from selling his previous home, that was not enough on its own to buy a house in the Lakes at Indian Springs community in Broken Arrow, the suburb of Tulsa that Pruitt represented in the legislature.

Yet in 2004, Pruitt purchased a sprawling ranch house in the upscale gated community for $605,000. Located on a half-acre corner lot in the Lakes, his stately Tudor looked out on a manmade lake and had a stone fireplace, parking for five cars, and a storm-safe room.
https://theintercept.com/2017/12/28/scott-pruitt-failed-banker-running-epa-superfund-program/

Corruption at the grandest scale ever. Privatization of schools, things like superfund, and the VA are intended to line the pockets of Trump donors, who aren't satisfied with the killing they made in the tax bill.
nw30

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys got it bad. Rolling Eyes

So if "the 270 pound baby" is as bad as you guys claim, then he should have been a drag on the economy right after winning the election, or making it stagnant at best, but that didn't happen.
So what you're implying is that the economy was so healthy and booming as a result of Obama's administration, that it was immune to Trump getting elected.

I hear a blue wave is heading to the moon, maybe even Mars!
mac

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Foolish NW. You don't think very hard, and you keep trying to put words in other people's mouths.

It is often and well said that politicians get too much credit when the economy is doing well, and too much blame when the economy is doing poorly. You'll like this source, it gives Trump some credit: https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2018/02/02/two-areas-where-trumps-economy-is-better-than-obamas/?utm_term=.465827e93970

So investment and confidence were both up under Trump, and he deserves credit for that. But the fact remains that the US and world economy are both fueled by consumer spending. I don't necessarily think that is a good thing, but it is a fact. The tax cut did put a little bit of money into consumers hands, and without the chaos of the trade wars, might well have sustained some additional growth. But the trade wars have largely unpredictable effects, and will (and to a substantial extent already have) hammer certain sectors of the economy. I read a source this week that claimed if you look at stock market gains under both Obama and Trump, they were higher on a percentage basis under Obama.

My fundamental concern is different than the stimulus given by higher confidence--which I don't deny. It is that Trump and the Republicans are igniting another bubble by deregulation. We've seen enough crashes (Enron, the 2008 crash fueled by the reckless speculation in housing, the S & L bubble, and the infamous airware market of tech stocks) to know how that comes out. The tiny boost to consumer spending is dwarfed by this uncertainty.

And finally, I do give both Obama and Bush the credit they are due in intervening in the market in 2008 and on into Obama's term. I don't think it was enough, but it is what was feasible politically. Obama, not Bush had the political skill to get legislation passed, but Bush was smart enough to understand the problem. Trump isn't smart enough to understand anything.
boggsman1

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nw30 wrote:

So if "the 270 pound baby" is as bad as you guys claim, then he should have been a drag on the economy right after winning the election, or making it stagnant at best, but that didn't happen.
So what you're implying is that the economy was so healthy and booming as a result of Obama's administration, that it was immune to Trump getting elected.

Not at all...let me help you. Last year was great, optimism, certainty...and powerful corporate earnings(+13%) Now that mid terms are upon us, tRump is going nuts with all sorts of potentially damaging actions, and the markets are taking notice.
nw30

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

boggsman1 wrote:
nw30 wrote:

Not at all...let me help you. Last year was great, optimism, certainty...and powerful corporate earnings(+13%) Now that mid terms are upon us, tRump is going nuts with all sorts of potentially damaging actions, and the markets are taking notice.

Where did all the "optimism" come from, the female misogynist's loss?
Where did all the "certainty" come from, the female misogynist's loss?
What spawned the improved corporate earnings, fear of the "270 pound baby"?
Keep trying.

mac: "I read a source this week that claimed if you look at stock market gains under both Obama and Trump, they were higher on a percentage basis under Obama."
8 years vs. 1 year, 3 months? Makes sense.

mac: "Obama, not Bush had the political skill to get legislation passed, but Bush was smart enough to understand the problem. Trump isn't smart enough to understand anything."
There is no way that you would have said anything even close to that while Bush was in office. All you ever did was continually pointing out what a complete idiot he was, followed by "it's Bush's fault" when he left.
boggsman1

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2018 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nw30 wrote:
boggsman1 wrote:
nw30 wrote:

Where did all the "optimism" come from, the female misogynist's loss?
Where did all the "certainty" come from, the female misogynist's loss?
What spawned the improved corporate earnings, fear of the "270 pound baby"?
Keep trying.

mac: "I read a source this week that claimed if you look at stock market gains under both Obama and Trump, they were higher on a percentage basis under Obama."
8 years vs. 1 year, 3 months? Makes sense.

mac: "Obama, not Bush had the political skill to get legislation passed, but Bush was smart enough to understand the problem. Trump isn't smart enough to understand anything."
There is no way that you would have said anything even close to that while Bush was in office. All you ever did was continually pointing out what a complete idiot he was, followed by "it's Bush's fault" when he left.

I give him some credit, no doubt. But to suggest the solid economy already in place had nothing to do with it, would be irresponsible. Tech is 26% of the SPX...Tech had the biggest gain in 2017 earnings. Tech has a 6-12 month lead time ... You tell me if the Orange man impacted tech earnings....
real-human

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2018 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

real-human

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://thehill.com/homenews/state-watch/390910-dems-flip-gop-held-legislative-seat-in-missouri

Dems flip GOP-held legislative seat in Missouri

Quote:
Democrats on Tuesday added to their list of special election wins in Republican districts since President Trump took office, picking up a Missouri state Senate district in suburban Kansas City.

State Rep. Lauren Arthur (D) bested state Rep. Kevin Corlew (R) in Missouri's 17th district, which covers parts of Clay County north of Kansas City.

The district favored Trump over Hillary Clinton by a 49 percent to 45 percent margin in 2016. At the same time, the district favored Democrat Jason Kander, who narrowly lost to Sen. Roy Blunt (R) that year.

The seat came open when the previous incumbent, state Sen. Ryan Silvey (R), quit to join the Public Service Commission.

Republicans will maintain control of the state Senate by a wide margin. Even with Silvey's departure, the GOP holds 24 of the 34 seats in the upper chamber.

But the results are another hint that Democratic voters are motivated to show up in low-turnout elections -- a trend that could prove decisive in November's midterm elections.

"Congratulations Senator Arthur! It's a flip ... red to blue," Sen. Claire McCaskill (D-Mo.), who faces a tough re-election fight this year, wrote on Twitter. "Thanks to all the hard work of Lauren and many volunteers we have won a state senate seat that Trump won and was held by a Republican. By a lot!! Not even close..."
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 12, 13, 14 ... 107, 108, 109  Next
Page 13 of 109

Jump to: