myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
CRISSY FIELD homeless/mentally Ill/druggy/violent people.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Riptide

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 8:36 am    Post subject: CRISSY FIELD homeless/mentally Ill/druggy/violent people. Reply with quote

Too many mentally Ill people coming through Crissy field yacht club. Park police were called this afternoon but the police did not arrest this dangerous fellow because they were understaffed and could not take the time to process his arrest. This person has been hanging out trying to bum alcohol from the sailors the last month and a half, but today he was on something else and went after me to the point I had to lock myself in my car until the police arrived. This sucks. Several people called the police including myself.
dvCali

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:25 am    Post subject: Re: CRISSY FIELD homeless/mentally Ill/druggy/violent people. Reply with quote

Riptide wrote:
Too many mentally Ill people coming through Crissy field yacht club. Park police were called this afternoon but the police did not arrest this dangerous fellow because they were understaffed and could not take the time to process his arrest. This person has been hanging out trying to bum alcohol from the sailors the last month and a half, but today he was on something else and went after me to the point I had to lock myself in my car until the police arrived. This sucks. Several people called the police including myself.

Very sorry you had to go through that experience. Unfortunately encounters with violent people can happen anywhere in the city or otherwise (remember last year, the guy who started to murder backpackers on the Appalachian trail?).

Mentally hill people can get aggressive and it it very important not to engage them or antagonize them in any way. There are professionals trained to deal with them, and even them do plenty mistakes and can react with excessive force. Two erratically behaving people were killed by the SF police in the last two years ...

"Homeless people" is a big category. It includes families, single individuals, and people who should receive medical attention and are instead trapped in a street to jail to street cycle. They are indeed too many, a constant reminder of the terrible structural problems afflicting our nation.

Last edited by dvCali on Tue Sep 15, 2020 11:43 am; edited 1 time in total
Ed_5.0

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few weeks ago someone broke into my car while I was out sailing at Crissy. I was parked in a fairly visible spot near car traffic and there were other sailors parked in the area, so kind of surprised someone would take the risk.

Initially it looked like nothing was stolen until I got a text alert from my credit card company about a charge at Macy's SF for $4,000.

The thief took 1 credit card out of my wallet, so it looked like nothing was stolen. By the time I responded back to the text the charge had gone through.
rigatoni

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The unfortunate thing about the entire episode is all the park police did was to chase this guy into the Marina, where he potentially could threaten and/or hurt others and come back on another day to threaten and harass us in the parking lot at Crissy.

A lot of SF residents (who have typically been progressively minded) are definitely losing their patience with what is happening on the streets of this city. Many of these street people are getting increasingly violent (due to drugs, mental illness, or perhaps a combination of both) putting us and our loved ones in real danger.

SF needs to take a harder line on this type of behavior. We need to get people off the streets and into treatment. We need to crack down on the open air drug bazaar in the Tenderloin. In the mean time, we need to be vigilant and watch out for our fellow sailors.
jpf18

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rigatoni wrote:
We need to
Well for now, we're relegated to controlling what we can control. To that end - you're not going to like this - we need to stop flashing incentives and refrain from cracking open the brewskies.
dvCali

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have never seen any data that show an increase of violent crime perpetrated by "homeless people". The number of "homeless" has increased, but the fact is that "homeless people" are victims of crimes at rates that dwarf the rate for "non homeless people".

I keep putting "homeless people" in quotes because the category is huge. It is good to remember that families make up a staggering 50% of homeless people in the US.

A good source of information regarding the problems afflicting the homeless in San Francisco is the coalition on homelessness https://www.cohsf.org/ (where I, and a number of friends of mine, volunteer). Spreading rumors and unsubstantiated claims about the "homeless population" does not seem to be a good way to try to solve the structural problems that make this a national disaster.

And it is VERY possible to coexist. Remember most "homeless people" do not want any trouble. They have plenty already. "We windsurfers" have been living with a homeless encampment at the Stick for 9 months, with no violence, no confrontations. Quite the opposite: a small sense of community building.
rigatoni

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dvCali,

I have no idea why you continually like to use the forum to take digs at people who you disagree with. You were not at Crissy yesterday when this happened. I was. And this individual was threatening to hurt a person who is a peaceful tax paying citizen who does more for our community down there than anyone else.

I know people (mostly female) who have been physically assaulted in the last year by homeless people. I have personally been verbally threatened. I've lived here for over 20 years and things are very different these days. We have a police force that has been neutered by City Hall, DA's office, and a vocal minority of people who want to defund and abolish them. Part of the problem is that we have created such a tolerant and permissive environment here in this City. There is open drug dealing on the streets of the Tenderloin. The city is covered in tents. There is little to no enforcement of the law. Groups like the Coalition for the Homeless have good intentions but they are very much part of the reason this issue continues to be a problem.
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ed_5.0 wrote:
Initially it looked like nothing was stolen until I got a text alert from my credit card company about a charge at Macy's SF for $4,000.

The thief took 1 credit card out of my wallet, so it looked like nothing was stolen. By the time I responded back to the text the charge had gone through.

First, most credit card companies will reimburse you. Ask, insist, and/or threaten to drop the account altogether. They. Want. Your. Business.

Second, Macy's probably has a video of the transaction. Nail the ratbag.

Third, a guy robbed my home long ago, took one card from a stack, and used it to top off his gas tank ... probably $5 at prices back then. The dumb F had signed HIS OWN, REAL NAME on the receipt, and when I called the cops, they were overjoyed. They had been looking for this schmuck's ID for years. He went straight to jail for years.

Fourth, that was in about 1975, We got LOTS of new technology these days.

Fifth, most big city mayors don't give a rat's buttcheeks about victims these days. It's all about peace, love, photo ops, and votes now.

Sixth, all I carry with me on short sailing trips anywhere near any city is my driver's license and a few bucks, both easy to hide. If I unexpectedly need to use a credit card, the card number I always and exclusively use online is stored in my God-given internal soft drive.
dvCali

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

rigatoni wrote:
dvCali,

I have no idea why you continually like to use the forum to take digs at people who you disagree with. You were not at Crissy yesterday when this happened. I was. And this individual was threatening to hurt a person who is a peaceful tax paying citizen who does more for our community down there than anyone else.

I know people (mostly female) who have been physically assaulted in the last year by homeless people. I have personally been verbally threatened. I've lived here for over 20 years and things are very different these days. We have a police force that has been neutered by City Hall, DA's office, and a vocal minority of people who want to defund and abolish them. Part of the problem is that we have created such a tolerant and permissive environment here in this City. There is open drug dealing on the streets of the Tenderloin. The city is covered in tents. There is little to no enforcement of the law. Groups like the Coalition for the Homeless have good intentions but they are very much part of the reason this issue continues to be a problem.

Rigatoni, do you think that the forum belongs to you? and to "your" windsurfing community? And that only you can express yourself on this forum? I am expressing my opinions exactly as you do.

I do have the impression that you are often very badly informed. Or, to be more precise, you seem to be when it comes to Covid, or when you express the opinion that we have a homeless problem because the Coalition on Homelessness (and hundreds of organizations, churches or congregations nation wide) try to help families, children and individual homeless who found themselves in dire situations.

But I am not telling you to shut up. To the contrary: please keep expressing your opinion. I'll do the same.
jpf18

PostPosted: Tue Sep 15, 2020 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dvCali wrote:
I have never seen any data that show an increase of violent crime perpetrated by "homeless people". The number of "homeless" has increased
I'm going to have to call you out on this. This is a bogus argument. This situation is a perfect illustration: If Riptide felt threatened enough to never want to return to Crissy in order to avoid becoming part of a crime statistic, hey dvCarli, you just gotten your data tilted your direction. And this has been going on all over town. When people like Joe Goldmark feel compelled to come out and threaten to sue the city over the situation in his neighborhood (Upper Haight), you should know there is a problem that data isn't going to reflect.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: