myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Which Adjustable Outhaul Chinook or Sailworks
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Xxwindsurfer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 8:18 pm    Post subject: Which Adjustable Outhaul Chinook or Sailworks Reply with quote

I am looking to add an AO.
Will be using it mainly with my Kona One board and sail mainly for fun sailing and not necessarily for racing.
I want something simple to use, I dont want a bunch of extra ropes all over the boom if possible and I don't want setup or takedown to be more difficult.
Any suggestions?
swchandler

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You do realize that an adjustable outhaul significantly increases the length of the outhaul line. A lot depends if you want adjustability on one or two sides of the boom, but a much longer outhaul line complicates the rigging process, because the long line must be threaded through the clew grommet and the roller assembly of the boom end. Any loop and go outhaul setup on your boom end isn't going to work.
Xxwindsurfer

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about an old single sided Sailworks AO? I found one in an old sail i bought. It has never been used. Is the setup much simpler?
How would you decide which side of the boom to attach it to for most convenience?
swchandler

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to admit that I've never had an adjustable outhaul, principally because the rigging process is a bit more involved timewise, and I'm not using a longboard.

If I were in your shoes, I would give the folks at Sailworks a call. In all my past contacts with them, they're always very focused and helpful.
kmf

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 10:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, i actually use an adjustable outhaul....on all of my sails....3.8 to 6.5.

I use the one sided adjustable outhaul, and find that it works wonderfully for me. No it doesn't take anymore time to rig once one has it set up on the boom. No it is not complicated. It doesn't take yards more outhaul line.

I have used both the chinook and the Sailworks set ups. The sailworks set up is less obtrusive as there is no metal cleat on the top of the boom to catch your hands. It works just as well as the cleat method.

I have used the two sided Sailworks set up also, but for me, a recreational sailor it is just to much stuff to deal with. The single sided one works fine.

In my humble opinion, it is a great system, I never have to drop in the water and untie my outhaul to adjust the sail. Just pull on the webbing, or let a little out while sailing along, and presto, instant adjustment. It has always mystified me why so many people are terrified of this simple tool for adjustable rigging.

KMF
DelCarpenter

PostPosted: Sun Mar 20, 2016 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use a double sided adjustable outhaul for racing in the Kona class. The required extra line came with the kit. Getting the kit set correctly takes a boom end with enough pulleys and some time experimenting with the settings. One key for ease of use is having a Double Outhaul Pulley which attaches to the sail clew and stays on the sail clew all the time.

After the settings are right having the adjustable outhaul increases the rigging time by only 5-10 seconds. A sailor without an AO who has to stop sailing to adjust the outhaul loses far more time stopping just once.

Being able to use the adjustable outhaul on the fly on the water is really nice. The AO I have is from Sailworks. I don't know if one system is better than the other. I do know either AO system is much better than none, if having the right adjustment makes a difference to you.

Most of the Open and Kona class racers I see at MOWIND events use adjustable outhauls.
swchandler

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If having an AO is so simple and beneficial for almost any sail size, I have to wonder why no one uses one at the places where I sail. I guess everyone must be too terrified by this simple tool.
joethewindsufa

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 4:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

adjustment while on the water is not necessarily a race requirement
sometimes you just need a little more to plane
no need to pump - let off on the outhaul
you want sail flatter to go upwind - NP
as swchandler says - once setup and with the use of a double pulley, it is a no brainer to rig - I did NOT consider leaving double pulley on while rolling up the sail - was afraid to leave marks on sail...
most race sails have clips and no double pulley is required (NOT sure how to size images here - no html available)
{put it on my blog and resized it there $%^&* this is annoying to me $%^&* why not able to do here ((}

and this is a sample double pulley - image from sailworks - NOT an expensive item

i use a chinook double outhaul (both sides) with the cleats placed out of the way
feel adjustable outhauls are necessary on sails larger than 8 m² - often used in lighter winds
for the loose ends, some people put a bungie chord and then lines are always within reach and out of the way
what i am still dreaming about is adjustable downhaul !!
on the fly that is - and yes, they do exist

Last edited by joethewindsufa on Mon Mar 21, 2016 8:04 pm; edited 4 times in total
coachg

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

swchandler wrote:
If having an AO is so simple and beneficial for almost any sail size, I have to wonder why no one uses one at the places where I sail.

Dang, I wish all questions were this easy to answer. They don't adjust their out haul. Most people set it & forget it.

Coachg
scargo

PostPosted: Mon Mar 21, 2016 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use an AO for all my sails, and find that it makes rigging easier and faster. But instead of the burgers, use a Harken 406 double block at the clew, and attach it to the clew with a 1/4" bow shackle. That way, all you have to do to rig the clew is drop in the pin; takes less than five seconds.

For the other parts, I use a two Harken 404 single blocks and two Harken 432 pivot cheek blocks. I use 4mm line for the boom end lines, and 5 mm for the outhaul lines, but you can use either for both.

Again, this setup is extremely easy to use, does not cost very much, and of course gives you lots of advantages on the water.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: