myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Wasting time and money on an old Fanatic Fox Protec Carbon
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Derikthin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 10:17 am    Post subject: Wasting time and money on an old Fanatic Fox Protec Carbon Reply with quote

Depressed about winter being over because I'm a skier so I decided to get into windsurfing. Got a couple boards and stuff off Craigslist for $300 (I now feel as though I did not get my money's worth).

The board I'm going to attempt to fix/alter is the Fanatic. I know the board is old as dirt. I called up Extreme-windsurfing in NJ and the guy said he might have the mast base piece that fits into it. From what I've read that mechanism is a POS and might just hit me in the balls lol.

So idea 1 is the guy has the piece and it fits -yay.

Idea #2 is I take another base and alter the cat then bolt it to the cat and use it that way.

Idea #3 is I get one of those chinook 10" tracks take my router, my gumption and good ol' merican know how and get to altering.

I know this sounds like a giant waste of time because the board is old and basically garbage but, I've got it, it floats, I'm handy and I like tinker and learn knew things. The board is actually quite light compared to the other obrien board I have.

If it gets down to #3 I can use West Marine epoxy right? And which foam should I use to fill the rest of the space if I drop that track in?

Thanks for your time =).

image.jpeg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.89 MB
 Viewed:  18807 Time(s)

image.jpeg

npiankov

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that what you are proposing with a new track is too involved and possibly non-trivial to get right. The simplest solution, I think, (provided you can't get the original part) is to get yourself a 2-bolt Chinook mast base. Here is the link to the plate: http://www.windance.com/Chinook-2-Bolt-Plate-Assembly-WSBE2366/

You can unscrew the mast track, drill 2 holes, attach this plate, put the track back in. Will take you 5-10 minutes and will be very reliable. You will be able to move this base to whatever board you'll buy next (or sell it on eBay at minimal loss if you get fed up with windsurfing).

With epoxy I just worry that it won't stick all that well to plastic, then you'll get cracks, water inside... Worst part would be having the mast track come out when you are in the middle of a lake/ocean with winds blowing you away from the beach...
Derikthin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

npiankov I think you are probably right on.

Any suggestions where I should fix that base? My thought is further back. Thanks for your advice.
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are there any grooves along the interior sides of that track? If so, make a 1/4" thick plate that will ride in those grooves, drill and tap a pair of holes that will accept the 2-bolt base screws, and you can move the plate and base wherever you like.

Until then, yes ... buy a cup. Stainless steel, I suggest, like I used when desert racing.
Derikthin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It runs on that track. I like the idea of making another cat and attaching that base, then I can still use track.

Probably have to have it machined though.

image.jpeg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.52 MB
 Viewed:  18762 Time(s)

image.jpeg

Derikthin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tried to find the measurements of that chinook base but I'll have to buy it first and then decide what to do.
npiankov

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

These bases are about 5" in diameter.

Now, I love these DIY projects (I even retrofitted an old board with a new fin box for center fin and new footstrap inserts once), but making this thing move around seems to be a project for the purpose of the project - not end goal. Unless you are thinking of racing with this board, movable base will not do much for you. I find them to be more of a hassle than any help - any time you accidentally step on the adjustment pedals, your whole sail starts moving and that was the furthest from my mind! Smile If you want to have options on where to put the base (e.g., find the position that feels most balanced), go with just a 1-bolt base, drill 3 different holes, attach nuts to the other side (that will be the DIY project to occupy you for half a day!), then you'll be able to experiment at the beach with different positions easily.
Derikthin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that going with the single base is probably going to be my best bet.
I do like the idea of mono screw base and have a few options but I think I'm making it more difficult then it has to be. I think I'll ride these boards into the ground and then plead to my wife that I need to acquire a "newish" one.

Looking forward to starting again. Gonna try and hit up sandy hook on Friday in the rain... Sans lighting hopefully.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will address #3 only.

From a cost standpoint this won't be so economy as you may think. Probably best solution. The track itself will be one of the least $ parts of the project.

Remove the existing track, a router down the middle and pry it out, use of technical tools ...hammer.. Probably necessary.

I would clean the hole and fill with POUR FOAM, 8 lb, this is very light weight, easy to mix, 50/50 and super easy to shape. Re router out to fit the mast track, slightly larger, to accommodate epoxy and Fiberglass or carbon or Kevlar. Use of some cell all around the track would be good, divinycell or similar, which case larger hole. Fiberglass again to blend into the deck. West Systems, use slow cure, these should be compatible with your board material, you can call West systems.

Make some alignment marks to set it straight , it will move while curing.

I have installed 3, and countless fins ,footstrap inserts . The removal is the hardest part.

PM me if you have ?

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
bred2shred

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you can source a mast base for the existing track, that is your best bet for sure (assuming the track is functional).

Otherwise, the next best approach would be to do as others have suggested and come up with a way to adapt a single, fixed mast base to the board. I would not go through the process of trying to install an adjustable track. Keep it simple. You may be able to remove the car and just drill and tap a few holes in the existing track for a fixed mast base (if the existing aluminum is thick enough). Or come up with a way to attach a plate to the board with a couple threaded holes. It could be as simple as just screwing the plate into the skin of the board using wood screws. It won't look pretty, but it'll get you on the water.

Keep in mind that this is an old board and designs have come a long way over the years. If you find that you enjoy windsurfing, you will probably be looking to upgrade in the near future. And if you get frustrated, also keep in mind that modern gear works a lot better and is easier to learn on than the gear you've purchased.

sm
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: