myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Guess at windsurf gear at May's Gorge swap?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
shmish

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 7:06 pm    Post subject: Guess at windsurf gear at May's Gorge swap? Reply with quote

I'd like to get a somewhat modern 96L ish freeride board, a 4.5 Sailworks Retro and a 5.5 Retro. I say sialworks because I have a mast that will work with these sails, and ive been happy with my old sailworks. Im thinking about driving to the gorge from Vancoucer BC for May's swap meet. An acquaintance of mine felt that it was getting hard to find decent windsurfing deals last year.
dllee

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you don't go, you will never know.
From your side of the border, you can find pretty good deals on new JP Allride 96's from 3-4 year's old, brand new.
wdsurf

PostPosted: Tue Mar 22, 2016 8:52 pm    Post subject: New gear Reply with quote

My good buddy from n.y. Was in the gorge for the last swap meet of the season last year and bought like new sailworks sails dirt cheap like 50.00 each !hes a big revo fan also.
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspect your friend was in Oregon for the smokes, not for the deals. Very Happy
That, or he was looking for one very specific size and model of something and had to have 2015 gear. Even THAT is already marked down maybe 50%, and that's for the most impressive new board I've seen this century.

I've had a long line of dealers, sailors, industry folks, etc. tell me for years that I was making up the deals I have seen first-hand as both buyer and seller at scores of Gorge swap meets. They all have the same flaw in their opinions: they were not there buying and selling.

I was, with cash and gear to show for it.

I assume you've seen my posts on the MANY incredible deals I've found on boards including current-year boards, let alone stuff that's actually been sailed -- or at least owned -- for a season or ten.

Lessee ... 800 miles / 25 mpg X $2 = $64 round trip for gas. Add a motel bill if not camping. Let's call the tab $150 in round numbers. For that you get:

• The biggest WSing swap meet in North America, I've always heard. The May meet is Da Bomb ... USUALLY*.

• A veritable SEA of gear, up to HUNDREDS of boards and sails, to choose from at the swap meet and the consignment shops.

• Dropping prices as more people switch to kites and as more people swallow the hype about brand new gear each year. "Somewhat modern (that covers almost a decade now) freeride boards" grow on trees, and 96L is not uncommon; I've seen WSing boards from 55 to 240 liters there. The last swap saw a large selection of virtually new Revos for <$100 -- most looked unused -- going as fast as people could dive into the pile of 100 used sails of all vintages and find them. Probably the ones wdsurf mentioned.

• Hands-on inspection surrounded by scores of gear experts eager to offer their advice, one armed with an instrument that detects moisture in a board.

• Several excellent restaurants to choose from.

• If you're lucky or if you stay for a few days, wind.

On the flip side ...
• It could rain like hell. Statistically, That's not a threat; most forecasts of rain then mean occasional light showers.

• If your board and sail wish list is too short and specific, you could strike out. Mine began with scores of boards heavily researched in the magazines, online, etc. I'd hit the swap meets on a mission: scope the field very quickly, snap up any deals on my short list, repeat until no fresh meat was showing up then make lower offers on any borderline deals (prices can drop >50% near noon), and save the small talk until I was all done with the business I came for. I've found no treasures at some meets but bought six boards at one, and I've sold from none to 10 at one meet.

* Last year the big meet was the April one ... usually pretty lame, with May's being merely good by local standards ... very good by national standards.

The selections usually include a wide range from off the shelf to total customs, pristine to junk, months to decades old, many brands, and prices ridiculous in both directions. One couple tried unsuccessfully for years to sell a pair of gorgeous custom Roberts for near list price for years, and I've bought some incredible performers for $10 that I will not sell for any price until I have to quit the sport. The cheapest NEW boards I've bought on my short list were $200 Gorge Animals and a $400 Starboard Evo. The Evo was also the most expensive swap meet or consignment shop board I've bought except for a NEW, warranted Naish Wave for $675.

If you can't save 10 times your fuel costs compared to new prices, your short list of gear is way too short. I've saved >$150 just on one unused Promotion shorty. Heck, I've saved >$100 just on MANY excellent fins ... each ... in perfect condition.

Time for a road trip!
wdsurf

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Non smoker.got 4 sails for 200.00!
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Wed Mar 23, 2016 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: Guess at windsurf gear at May's Gorge swap? Reply with quote

The 1st swap (April24th) is typically the biggest, but the May swap meet is usually pretty good. Retros are hard to come by and the mythical 4.5 Retro
I've heard of but never seen. Revos are pretty easy to find.

Several 96ish ltr freerides are pretty likely, but 86 ltrish is more likely.

You never know what's going to show up though, and it might be worth
the adventure.

Some of the best deals happen at sailing site parking lots mid season,
so maybe you should consider, just coming and staying all season.

Good luck,

-Craig

shmish wrote:
I'd like to get a somewhat modern 96L ish freeride board, a 4.5 Sailworks Retro and a 5.5 Retro. I say sialworks because I have a mast that will work with these sails, and ive been happy with my old sailworks. Im thinking about driving to the gorge from Vancoucer BC for May's swap meet. An acquaintance of mine felt that it was getting hard to find decent windsurfing deals last year.
shmish

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Other options for sails would be?
Ezzy Elite or panther
Or basically any 4 batten camless sail?

I suppose that if the price is right, I could get another brand and another mast. I was going through the ezzy website and if a guy wants a 4.5 / 5.3 combo, you need two masts.

Ive been meaning to spend the summer in the gorge since '88. Still waiting, maybe 2022!
westender

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 9:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Guess at windsurf gear at May's Gorge swap? Reply with quote

Finding what you're looking for is the hard part. The deals are a fraction of new.

shmish wrote:
An acquaintance of mine felt that it was getting hard to find decent windsurfing deals last year.
dllee

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most good deals are early or late.
Early, the seller just wants to leave.
Late, the seller is ready to go home, knowing he's not getting his price.
westender

PostPosted: Thu Mar 24, 2016 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You say 96l and a 4.5???
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: