myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Maiden Voyage! NJ gains another terrible windsurfer....
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mewindsurf

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Derik,

I'll mention to the moderator that you're looking to join the groups.

Personally, I like the Hybrid style drysuits that have a baggy top and tighter (wetsuit style) bottom. The wetsuit style bottom makes it a little easier to swim and I also don't mind sitting down in the parking lot to re-rig. Then the baggy top lets me layer up to whatever I need. Sometimes a thinner shirt, sometimes a fleece and on really cold days (below freezing) I use a 1.5 mil neoprene top under a thick fleece.

The baggy top also lets you move more freely. It feels like you're wearing a windbreaker..... You probably can do without a drysuit until mid-November, so take your time and check some out. I'm sure someone along the line will tell you that you'll sink if a baggy suit rips and fills with water. I've owned drysuits for 20 years and never heard of that actually happening.... But I have left my zipper open by accident on my Hybrid style suit in the past and filled up with water. it was definitely cold, but I didn't sink and was easily able to get the rig back out of the water and head back to shore....

Biggest thing in the winter is to plan on breaking down every time you go. I only go out in the winter if the winds are onshore or am certain I can swim back to shore.

Mike
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Derikthin wrote:
Any of you folks wear a helmet? ... sense.

The two go together.
I don't drive without my seatbelt fastened, and don't WS without my helmet (and face guard and torso armor). Every such piece has undoubtedly prevented several serious injuries -- one likely fatal -- for me.
Derikthin

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 8:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00IS6KYMM/ref=twister_B0089RD3VE

Helmet I'm thinking about getting. I don't think I'm at the point of getting facemask or torso guard yet.

Wife has also stated I'm not to go alone. So that long island yahoo group is going to come in handy for finding buddies.
mewindsurf

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 7:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A buddy of mine actually used to be a sales rep for triple 8.... He's got one of those helmets and it's ok. Personally, I don't use one, but plenty of guys do.

For the Pro-limit suit, give Brian ar Ocean Air Sports a buzz (maybe see what they recommend for the helmet too) www.oceanairsports.com The Hydrogen suits don't normally come into the U.S. but I helped arrange a special order for them with the distributor and Ocean Air. I know they have a few in stock down there. Hopefully they still have your size left.... If not, I'm sure they could get one in your size before you need it in the fall. There are a few of us with them on Long Island now and we're all REALLY happy with the suit. Much nicer than the other hybrid suits I've tried over the years.

Mike
johngullotti

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 8:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After getting run over by a boat in Narragansett bay, I switched from a red helmet to a bright yellow helmet which I figure is more visible bobbing in the water. The boat driver didn't see me at all while I was waiting for him to pass me after I blew a jibe. He even changed course to come right over me while I was waiting. (I first thought he was coming over to me to see if I was OK) Luckily I was able to swim away from my rig, but then I was upwind of my stuff and in serious trouble. The passengers on the boat noticed my rig coming out from under the transom after the boat passed and then looked for me and threw me a line. I had a tear in the sail and the board's nose was smashed but I was able to sail back to shore with no problem.

Black helmets may look cool on the beach, but I want to be very visible when I'm on the water!
Derikthin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is a SUPER good point John.

I'll keep my eye's peeled for a really bright one. I would think they could have seen your sail in the water or your board. How hard is it to see a friggen windsurf rig in the water? Yikes.
isobars

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've run right over a black & white rig (invisible among whitecaps), have had a sailboat run over my separated rig, and have noticed for decades that many helmets and sails -- especially if mostly monofilm -- are very hard to see in rough water. That's one reason my sails and helmets and vests have been mostly chartreuse, hot pink, or bright red at the worst. Many people have said my sails are the brightest they've seen on the Columbia, and that's a GOOD thing. I WANT barge pilots and careless WSers looking through wet pilot house or sail windows to know at a glance where I am.

Just as I did in this and previous higher-impact motosports, you'll find yourself adding armor AFTER that first broken rib, nose, collarbone, etc. I'm just damned glad I added a stainless steel cup BEFORE the first time I tore the gas cap off my desert bike's gas tank. I'm guessing it'll take a few more cracked ribs and lost seasons before you have a ballistic kevlar flotation vest custom built to professional bull rider standards. Very Happy

You'll figure it all out, Grasshopper. Enjoy the journey.
Derikthin

PostPosted: Sun Mar 27, 2016 10:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Iso,
One thing my crappy older rig seems to have going for it at this point is the obnoxious 80's color-scheme.

As far as the rest of the gear, I'm sure once my ability or environment that I'm surfing in, changes I'll be more inclined to get the other stuff.

This older fanatic board I'm trying to get up and running apparently has an issue with the mast coming off of track and ball checking people by the foot of the mast. So that cup idea might be pretty solid.
DelCarpenter

PostPosted: Mon Mar 28, 2016 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As we get closer to warm weather the various places that offer used gear will have more and more ads such as the buy/sell section of this website, Windsurfing Classifieds and Craigslist. When I do some traveling I check each of those sources about 2-3 weeks ahead of time to allow some negotiation time.

It is not unusual to find package prices with $10, $20 & $30 sails. Or a mast, boom, sail package at $120.
Derikthin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Got my helmet!

And the dorkiest smile.

20160409_201609.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  1.1 MB
 Viewed:  13063 Time(s)

20160409_201609.jpg

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: