myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Open Ocean boards
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
swchandler

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"I'd expect that anyone considering investing four figures, the wait time, and his hopes for a one-off custom board would care about the technology going into and onto it. Whether a buyer cares is up to him ... and ditto any lurkers with the same interests."

From post number one on this thread, our frequent contributor from the Gorge has been predictably lobbing questionable comments about custom boards like he often does. But, when it comes to OOs in particular, he ultimately dumps in the Gorge Animal/Campbell Brothers patent license nonsense. He's deliberately tried to cast Brian Hinde in a negative light before, so it's nothing new. It's just his mean spirited side digging up an old vacuous battle from years ago that had no real credibility or merit at the time.

When it comes to technology, it's interesting to tour Brian's shop, and really get a first hand view of how he builds his boards. Through each stage of the construction process, it's very clear that he has developed very well thought out methods and processes based on years and years of experience and good manufacturing practices. Nobody builds a board quite like him. On top of that, Brian design concepts and engineering are quite notable in the marketplace, especially if you focus in on the details of his many unique design features. Those that know him know that he can give you more than an earful if you're interested.

There aren't many designer/builders like Brian that will hand build you a quality board from start to finish. He does everything by himself under one roof. On top of that, every year he develops and executes a unique graphic design for his boards. Yet, if you want a special graphic design instead, he'll do it with style. Not many brands offer that option.
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Does a sailor who never spins out gain any benefit with thrusters? If he's THAT good (or just doesn't sail hard enough push his single fin past its limits), what's the point of adding fins?

OK, OK ... thrusters let us run smaller central fins, but the first paragraph still applies ... right? Will a guy who never drives over the speed limit gain any speed if he buys a [insert favorite high-performance car]?

WARNING: TOPIC POLICE SHOULD STOP READING HERE TO AVOID APOPLEXY

(TOT: Had to chuckle at a local op-ed letter. A lady asked why her speedometer dial goes to 120 mph. "After all, surely there are no cars that will exceed 80 mph or so, are there?" The ironic part? The world's fastest street legal production car is manufactured in the next town down the road.]
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I knew at least one of the killfiled clowns would do his level best to attack me and try to undermine my contributions to this thread and topic and particularly to consumers expressly asking for honest opinions and facts about gear. It's how the breed operates: personally attack anyone with a different opinion no matter who it may harm. Because it MATTERS in this thread, I looked for and found your highly misleading personal negativity, on steroids.

Pardon me, Chandler, for spending years inside the WSing industry and decades in a major high-wind gear mecca, including testing hundreds of high-performance/ high-wind boards from all over the world, interviewing most gear manufacturers and major dealers at length about their present and future gear (I probably still have the tapes somewhere), writing many entire issues of both consumer test magazines and WSing industry/professional trade newspapers for years, being asked to offer product improvement ideas on every type of gear, seeing several of my ideas go into production, sailing for tens of thousands of hours/hundreds of thousands of miles among thousands of sailors like every one of you here on thousands of models of boards, owning and sailing scores more high-wind boards, being asked virtually every day how to select this/rig that/buy this/do that, and so on and so on. Pardon me for learning a shitload of stuff along the way and trying to pass it on, especially when asked to do so or when someone's money, time, hopes, and fun are at stake.

As for your "He's deliberately tried to cast Brian Hinde in a negative light before, so it's nothing new. It's just his mean spirited side digging up an old vacuous battle from years ago that had no real credibility or merit at the time"
... it's outrageous lies like that in both tenor and fact that got you banned from my screen and from the human race years ago. Besides, it was Craig, not I, that dug up the long-disproved thruster geometry design issue, but you're not attacking him. Hell, you'd apparently be fine with someone telling NOVAAN that Brian (or your race board shaper) invented wind itself, and would castigate me for even questioning that.

Ya got caught, dude.

I tread VERY lightly when commenting on any good custom shop's gear, as evidenced quite a few times in a WIDE range of honest responses when asked for them by PM or face to face. You can try all you want to goad me into criticizing Brian or his gear (or claim that I already have) in an open forum, but it's not going to work (why you'd want that to happen escapes me). I plan to keep mentioning his and his boards' GOOD sides, and the hell with your false accusations to the contrary.

But I will also cry BS on your BS, which constitutes most of your overhyped post. People's time, money, and dreams depend on the whole picture, not a small handful of guys' individual choices. My comments here and in private conversations are based on 30 years and scores of OO boards across dozens of owners, on dozens of individual OO tests in the magazine test programs I directed, and by extensive personal head-to-head testing of many multifinned boards including OOs.

You have an OO and have been to Brian's shop.

OOOOH!

I don't care what NOVAAN buys. He's a big boy and it's his money, time, and dreams. He may love or hate whatEVER he buys. But he DID ask for fair and balanced feedback, and you personally are trying to thwart that by presenting your pie-eyed impressions and doing your best to undermine anything less hyperbolic even though it's still good. That's not fair to anyone.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

noshuzbluz wrote:
My biggest OO @ 120ltrs has a powerbox. Brian put the side fin boxes in but I don't use them. I think it would be pretty silly to run the side fins with a big ol' dagger fin.

If you had a reason to use a center fin, instead of the big olde dagger,
Say a 24cm and sides of say 10cm..

This would give better upwind potential, it should allow the board to turn , like a much smaller board. It will increase drag some, speed some.

I use a 135 Tabou Rocket w/ 28 and 12s, it is a nice conversion, which allows starting in much shallower water, sail in shallows, than with a 40cm fin.

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
Y

(TOT: Had to chuckle at a local op-ed letter. A lady asked why her speedometer dial goes to 120 mph. "After all, surely there are no cars that will exceed 80 mph or so, are there?" The ironic part? The world's fastest street legal production car is manufactured in the next town down the road.]

Local letter...?
Ironic part, worlds fastest production car?

Local is then Germany, as it's a Bugatti ..
Please explain

U2U2U2

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The following post of Iso
Is his typical meaningless rants, full of disinformation, misinterpretation ,
Twisted point of view.

Not worthy of tearing apart, sentence by sentence.

westender

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 8:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Made in USA.
swchandler

PostPosted: Tue Mar 29, 2016 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With all the attention I'm getting, I thought that I would offer a bit more history to shed some light on things. Why not.

Back in 1992, I was looking for a new high wind custom board to replace an 8'6" custom shaped by Dave Johnson at Progressive Surfboards. Dave shaped me an awesome board, with my custom graphics, but it fell well short on the durability side. Surfboard guys just don't understand the stresses involved in windsurfing. I probably got 3 good years out of it, but I had to help it along with some significant repair work in the footstrap areas.

Ironically, I found out about Open Ocean in the publication, Performance Windsurfing Report, but it was prior to isobars' involvement there. While I contacted many custom manufacturers at the time, Brian Hinde was really the only designer/builder that called me back and seemed interested in pursuing my business.

Based on my requirements and specifications, Brian built me an 8'4" single fin, with a single facet bottom, with my custom graphic design on the deck. The facet was located under the nose section just forward and under the mast track. Mistral had a similar feature on some of their boards at the time (the Screamer and Stinger), but Brian's feature was a large rectangular flat section rather than an elliptical concave one.

I received the board the day before my summer 1992 trip to Maui, and it got it's immediate christening in stiff 3.5 conditions right off the plane. Needless to say, the board styled from day one. Believe me, I was wholeheartedly convinced that I made the perfect decision. I still have the board today in my collection, because I can't part with it.

With my next board, my first Tri-Fin in February 1996, it again proved to me that I was on the right track. I will admit that I still have that same board in the van today. That's a lot of history.

For a high wind board, custom or otherwise, I think that OOs are a great choice.
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

U2U2U2 wrote:
Local letter...?
Ironic part, worlds fastest production car?

Local is then Germany, as it's a Bugatti ..
Please explain

Easy, as usual:
Fastest production car-world record set by Ultimate Aero car

[Sep 15] WEST RICHLAND, WA, US--The Ultimate Aero Supercar, build by Jerod Shelby, went 255-miles per hour and set the new world record for the fastest production car.

"Today was an amazing day," said Shelby after the 387-cubic-inch, 1,183-horsepower, twin turbo-enhanced vehicle did its stuff.

Driver Chuck Bigelow piloted the Ultimate Aero twice on the two-lane straightaway, reaching 257.11 mph heading south, then 254.55 mph on the same stretch going north.(enlarge photo)

The official average top speed for the two runs was 255.83 mph.

"So much blood, sweat and tears to have given into this project over the last five years, that to achieve this, and to have the title of world's fastest production car, it's still sinking in. It's very surreal," said Jerod Shelby, founder and lead designer of Shelby Supercars LLD.

This vehicle has air conditioning, power windows, GPS navigation, and in-car cameras.

To show anyone can drive the car, the man behind the wheel was 71 years-old.

Shelby and his family members, including a brother and his parents, have been working for six years to achieve the goal reached Thursday. Breaking the Bugatti Veyron's record should catapult the Ultimate Aero into the public eye as the fastest street-legal car money can buy.

Shelby also likes to note that his made-in-America Ultimate Aero is priced at only $549,000, while the foreign-made Bugatti Veyron goes for $1.5 million.

Shelby has built seven of these vehicles. The car costs about $549,000.

The Ultimate Aero and Aero are assembled at the Shelby SuperCars shop in West Richland, but the family-owned business also has manufacturing sites in Auburn and Phoenix.

So far, Shelby said he has delivered seven of his Aero line to customers, and has orders for 25 more.For more information about Shelby and the cars, go to www.shelbysupercars.com.
----------
Besides, the Bugatti's momentary supremacy is so yesterday. It has already been beaten by the Koenigsegg Agera R and the Hennessey Venom GTI. Besides, a) all that was months after the lady wrote her letter, b) the title is fleeting and may change again at 3:15 this afternoon, c) the point was the lady's question, not who holds the title as of 6:25 AM today, and d) I don't know or care whether the three Aeron-beaters ran the speed course both directions on public highways to eliminate slopes and wind. (The Aeron's sanctioned record was set on a section of a public two-lane highway on which local WSers commute between home and Roosevelt.)

But unless you're going to mislead the OP and lurkers about expensive sailing gear, it's not worth my time or anyone's pixels.

Last edited by isobars on Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:55 am; edited 2 times in total
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Mar 30, 2016 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

U2U2U2 wrote:
The following post of Iso
Is his typical meaningless rants, full of disinformation, misinterpretation ,
Twisted point of view.

Not worthy of tearing apart, sentence by sentence.

Translation: ya got nothing.

Your sick, cowardly, baseless, lame, vague attempt to make yet ANOTHER thread all about me at the expense of shedding light on the topic is a black eye on the entire forum.

Sorry, guy, but I was/am there and you were/are not. Get over it.

I gotta admit, though, that I envy the ability of several of you guys who have the time and ability to live not only your own lives but also those of others. Hell, I guess that makes their lives not only redundant but completely false, so maybe we should just declare their lives null and void and bow down to your sentence by sentence version of their existence.

Last edited by isobars on Wed Mar 30, 2016 10:34 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 5 of 8

Jump to: