myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Open Ocean boards
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 1:10 pm    Post subject: Open Ocean boards Reply with quote

Any input on Open Ocean boards, good or bad would be welcome. I'm thinking about having one made for me. I'm looking for a higher wind board that has a good ride. I'm to old to get beat up in the ruff stuff water. 4.7 down to 4.2 maybe small waves.....Never had a tri fin board. Thanks guys...
dllee

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Easy riding, balanced, old school (which I think makes it easy to ride), durable, and something that works, rather than the latest in fashion industry.
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SEARCH the forum on them. They've been discussed at length many times. Good ride, easy-sailing, but a narrow wind range (according to Brian and confirmed by extensive testing). There are, however, some reasons to avoid negative comments on gear here:
1. iW prohibits them. It's fine to flat-out falsely ASSAULT some specific forum members endlessly because it increases iW's revenues (according to iW), but it's forbidden under penalty of eviction to even objectively and with proof criticize equipment by name.

2. Brian's a great guy whose livelihood depends on his boards, and many people like them.

3. Any criticism of his boards, no matter how thoroughly evidence-based or how many dozens of people agree, generates incessant pants-on-fire blasphemy from people who like them. Factual assessments of ANY gear aren't worth the discord (except, of course, to folks who lay out a grand or two and are disappointed). One east coast buyer even blamed his custom tri-fin's slow speed on the thrusters, despite the many fast multifinned boards on the market.

4. When concern for others' money has prompted me to PM them AT THEIR REQUEST with both sides of the story on specific custom boards based on decades of many owners' and testers' experience with them, all I've gotten in return has been as described in #1, especially from people who work with the shaper involved and like to file complaints with iW when THEY are offended.

Phukyt and caveat emptor.
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 2:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I WILL, however, say this: why pay $1,800 for any board you've never personally ridden and declared perfect that can be seriously outperformed in every regard by many a board that costs $50-$200? The difference in cost would pay for several trips to Gorge swap meets (which usually have several OOs anyway). I could name way more than a dozen wave boards that fit that description and yours, and that's just the ones I've personally owned, let alone the many brands and models I haven't tried simply because there are just too many to try 'em all.

Mike \m/
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

IS it possible to make comments in a bad light , while saying you shouldn't do so ?

I don't have any OO. I have considered ,spoke at length, toured the shop.

I think they would make a sound board. Some of the design is ideal for HR.

I didn't like the side fins, which at that time were glassed on. Depending on requirements it would be a option

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
flaherty

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love my open ocean. Yea , old skool. It's not real heavy, carbon fiber. When it's blowing 25+ it's a blast. The tri fins work well, it jibes sweetly. Wicked fun in the Gorge, but will work other places.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, as witnessed it works great in Hatteras

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
swchandler

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been sailing OOs since 1992, and Brian's 8'2" 80 liter tri-fins since 1996 (3 different boards). In addition, I have a small 2002 tri-fin at about 65 liters. The length of the 80 liter might be a few inches less these days, but it's a sweet ride from 4.2-5.5 conditions. Balance and control are great in really rough conditions, so it fits very well into an older guy's quiver that's looking for a more comfortable ride. I should emphasize that all my tri-fins have been Brian's 3 facet bottoms, which are quite quick to plane up, and pretty fast through chop. The 80 liter is truly a B&J rocker, yet it's still quite comfortable in the waves, as long as you are into more relaxed drawn out turns off the bottom or top. If you want a true wave board that is more radical off the top, and slidey with max maneuverability, you should probably target more popular brands that specialize in DTL or onshore waveboards.

Regarding the tri-fin configuration, it's more old school. I've always used a 8.75" True Ames Enduro as the center fin with great success, and the side fins have been canted to Brian's specs. I've had glassed on fins on some boards, and small cavity boxes glassed in others. With the latter boards, you can sail them as single fins if you want to.

Lastly, I should point out that all of my boards have been Brian's classic Poly-Rite construction, which is made from close cell polyurethane surfboard foam and polyester resin. However, it is still a sandwich construction using divinicell or similar material over the core foam. It's a bit heavier in weight, but that's one of the reasons that it's very friendly in really rough conditions. If you want a lighter epoxy board made from EPS or closed cell polystyrene foam, you can get those versions at a bit higher pricing. Regarding an epoxy version, I think that Craig (cgoudie1) can fill you in with a good report.
swchandler

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One more thing. In addition to OOs, I've been sailing Mike's Labs since 1992. Contrary to the long leadtimes associated with getting Mike's boards, Brian's manufacturing leadtimes have always been very quick and timely, especially during the off season winter and early spring months.
westender

PostPosted: Sat Mar 26, 2016 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Fashionable and Trendy might not like them but old people love them.

He can make a big one too. My most gigantic board is an OO but it's Vintage.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
Page 1 of 8

Jump to: