myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Simple boom regrip?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DanWeiss

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian_S wrote:
DanWeiss wrote:

What I do know is that carbon boom arms are thick-walled and very, very durable. A thin layer of foam doesn't add much protection to the boom at all, though the grip certainly protects the board a bit.

Dan,
I guess "thick-walled" is a relative term, but I have an old Fiberspar that I'm getting ready to repair with a carbon tube insert and some carbon fiber sleeve material. The tube OD is 1.225" and the wall thickness is 0.069" . I thought they would be thicker-walled than that - looks really thin to me. This is an oldie, so I don't know what the newer booms (with smaller ODs) are.

Brian, 1/16" strong sounds about right for a boom tube. I'm staring at the wall thickness of an RDM and it's wall thickness is about 1/8"

bmoore98

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One time on a trip to Corpus, I dropped a boom off with Thombiz so he could re grip it for me. A couple of days later it was better than new. Hopefully that option is still available. How about it, Bob?
thombiz

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've gotten out of that business because the pay was too low. People still only want to pay about the same price as it cost back in 1994. I don't know of anyone who is regripping booms as a business.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: