myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Resurface Crissy Field Promenade and Reconfigure East Beach
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Riptide

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 7:33 pm    Post subject: Resurface Crissy Field Promenade and Reconfigure East Beach Reply with quote

Resurface Crissy Field Promenade and Reconfigure East Beach Parking Area,

look all the way at the bottom of the pdf to see changes to their original proposal. the pdf link is at the bottom of this link:

https://parkplanning.nps.gov/document.cfm?parkID=303&projectID=63094&documentID=72089

15 day comment period begins now.

https://parkplanning.nps.gov/commentForm.cfm?documentID=72088

east beach map.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  86.93 KB
 Viewed:  21990 Time(s)

east beach map.jpg

Riptide

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://www.scribd.com/doc/307497799/Resurface-Crissy-Field-Promenade-and-Reconfigure-East-Beach-Parking-Area
Riptide

PostPosted: Fri Apr 08, 2016 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After the SFBA meeting with the National Park Service.
The NPS made a few revisions to there east beach parking and promenade redesign, the changes were some more parking and a better turn around west of the bathrooms. On the weekends, you will really be hampered to find easy access parking for windsurfing and kite-boarding. The park service is trying to fast track this, the history of the original EIR is that San Francisco board sailors are original stake holders and east beach including the parking was to give sailors easy access to the beach. This money is meant for differed maintenance, not a redesign. This token 15 day comments period is disingenuous. Any redesign should require a full EIR. They may be in violation of the CZMA and NEPA, plus any changes require BCDC approval. But I suggest you comment to the National Park service
mthompson156

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 1:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty brutal. If you read the proposal, they mention eliminating parking on the grass except on "overflow" days.

I submitted some comments. I'm sure they will be summarily ignored, but whatever.

I kept it pretty specific and said my only problem was with their parking plans -- aka forcing almost everyone into one giant paved lot. Their two reasons for doing this are very weak at best:

1. "Reinforced turf planting for parking not thriving". Completely untrue...the back grass areas, where they have actually put in the slightest effort to water and aerate, are totally healthy. That gets a ton of parking volume too. The middle square to the east is a wasteland...but it's been ignored for at least a few years. Maybe put in a slight effort to maintain what you have? Not a shock that if you leave something to die, it dies...

2. "Inefficient parking layout...weekend needs". Very disingenuous. There are literally only about 6-8 days per YEAR when the place is totally full. Just the big holiday weekends. Rest of the year can be busy, but there is always room no matter what time you arrive. Who cares if the parking is "casual", as they say, if it's not *full*?

If you would like to keep parking casually on the grass with your friends, then it's probably worth taking a couple minutes and firing off some comments to them. Probably won't help, but it can't hurt. Otherwise we are going to be forced into lined spaces with the rest of the random mopes down there. Sounds lame to me.

Matt
Riptide

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just imagine carrying your rig across 30 feet of promenade as apposed to the current 20 feet, with all the people and bicycles. The NPS says it will move congestion along, I say it will create more congestion.

All those preferred parking spots will be in competition with pic-knickers and dog walkers. All the other parking is for tourist whom do not know better.

It is not going to be easy to get your gear setup and carry it to a lawn area if you have to park in the main parking lot squeezed together. Not to mention numerous trips back and forth to your car.

And like Mthompson above said, a little lawn maintenance would have gone along way, there is an agenda playing out here, to make this more people centrist, and anti car, the east beach was designed for multi recreational use.
rigatoni

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone who sails Crissy on the weekend should be very concerned about this proposed plan and submit your comments online. This is far from a done deal. The NPS is aggressively pushing the schedule in that they have to spend the money for the improvements in 2016. As such, they are trying to skirt the normal approval process that goes into such a major redesign. If there is enough opposition, we may be able to stop this in its tracks but our community cannot be silent. Please comment on the link and voice your opposition to what has been proposed.
ewdue

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, got to say, that if the grass next to the promenade doesn't have the 'buffer' shown in the section, then it would actually be 'better' than current, unless I am missing something. Bringing more rigging directly next to the promenade on a wide grassy area. Attaching an overlay photo so people can easily see the proposed changes.

Crissy Markup.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  641.68 KB
 Viewed:  21882 Time(s)

Crissy Markup.jpg

poussin

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Everyone,

I love parking on the grass and rigging with all of the familiar faces and my friends at Crissy. I would hate for anyone to take that from us.
That being said though, after looking over the new plan for parking etc., I wonder if it may actually work better for us.....

The way it looks to me, is that they will fill in the road between the bathrooms and the promenade along the beach with grass, as well as at least doubling the grass buffer that separates the promenade from the paring lot (which could also create another rigging area).

It also looks as though they will be adding legitimate parking spots at the grasses edge where many of us park now. I'm not sure if they will actually be
taking away some of the grass to pave it for parking, but maybe that will help save the grass. Parking on the grass is really great, but probably not so good for the grass. If we could park at the grasses edge, we could still use the grass for rigging/hanging out etc. Also, we wouldn't have to walk across the parking lot to get to the beach-it would be entirely lawn up to the promenade.

As far as competing for parking spots with dog walkers etc., It may not be an issue, since us windsurfers and the kiters tend to create our own compound by so many of us parking in one area-it kind of naturally gives us our own space.

Maybe I'm missing something-so please tell me if I am, but the new plan may be okay.......!
If I am missing something obvious and important I would like to do what I can to help out with our situation-so let me know your thoughts!
Thanks All.

Greg
rigatoni

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greg,

The problem is the net loss of parking at the west end of the parking area replaced with a massive asphalt lot at the east end. On weekends, many of us are going to get stuck parking in the middle of that lot and shlepping our gear through a busy lot to get to the grass. Yes there are some benefits but this plans has some major flaws.

The NPS is on very shaky legal grounds with this process as well. Normally you would see much more public outreach and review of multiple alternatives and an attempt to find some consensus to move forward. There has been some outreach to our community but there are a lot of folks on the planning side of the NPS that are just not listening. I would strongly recommend opposition not only to the plan but to the process.
jimcarr

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 4:27 pm    Post subject: Chrissy remodel Reply with quote

so here is my "two cents"; leave west end alone, re-model east end! Warriors! "come out and play"!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: