myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Neil Pryde sail's mast pin worst design ever
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Manuelb

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 12:11 am    Post subject: Neil Pryde sail's mast pin worst design ever Reply with quote

I already regretting buying 2 used NP Combat from 2014. When I tried to pull the mast out the sail, the mast female plug got stuck on the sail's male plug. Due to horrible design, it's virtually impossible to get it out because the plug is fixed inside the mast sleeve, leaving no room to work around the plugs.
Does anyone know how to get it out.
Thank you
kmf

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh, yes another NP proprietary design element to keep you purchasing only NP accessories. Keeps them in the dough tho. I believe that NP is the only company left using this frustrating design.

You must have gotten some sand in the mix up there. Water is a good safe lub for sand, maybe lots of high pressure water can mix it up a bit.

KMF
swchandler

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Manuelb, I would recommend giving Sailworks a call. They just might have a way to help you out. If you have no other choice but repair, they do quality repairs on all brands. I highly recommend them.
dllee

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Buy female sail head caps, and the problem is solved once you install them.
Manuelb

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It´s not just the f@$ing pin itself, but how is placed inside the mast sleeve where there is virtually no room to try to get out. If I had known ahead, I would never have bought the sails.
Currently, I have 3 Ezzy, one Naish, and one Sailwork (plus the 2 fricking NP), and I've never had any compatibility problem with any of those sails and my masts, or any sail I've ever owned before. I don't know about anyone else, but I replace my sails a lot more often than my masts. So, from my point of view, I want to buy sails that work with the masts I already have, and not the other way around. Therefore, this kind of crab instead of inspire, motivate or encourage me to buy NP sails, in the contrary, will cause quite the opposite effect on me, ZERO interest in the future in buying NP sails ever again.
So there you have it NP, in case anyone in your company is reading this and care about positive or negative free word of mouth advertising in this forum and anywhere else.
IT REALLY F#$%ING SUCKS!!
clif371827

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ditto on the NP Combats. I bought 2 used. Had the above problems plus they turned out to be the least durable sails I owned. Went back to my 8 year older Ezzy's.
Manuelb

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zirtaeb,
That's a good idea, but the problem is to get the pin out the sail, since it's place inside the sleeve with no room to work around it. I'm afraid I will cut or damage the very short fixed strap if I try to hard to remove it with a flat screwdriver.

Any suggestion on how to remove it from the strap?
Manuelb

PostPosted: Sat Apr 09, 2016 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Clif,
Now I know why this 2013-14 NP sails are selling relatively cheap on ebay and windance. I though I was getting a good deal, but it looks I´m getting lemons.
joethewindsufa

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wish there was a way to get photos, but guess that is impossible
can you still get the mast on ??
if so, are you just missing a plastic part to use mast on other sails ?
get another plastic part ??
there is always a solution - patience is the most difficult part
i am not sure that NP makes sails that are lemons Embarassed
hope it all works out !!
rswabsin

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 7:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I understand your problem correctly, the male plastic pin within the top portion of the sail sleeve (connected to a strap) fits inside the female plastic cap at the top of your mast. And these two get stuck together. So you've got to sand down one of these to enable a looser fit. Wrap some coarse sand paper around a pencil or wood dowel and sand down the inside of your of your mast tip - or use a grinding bit on a dremel or cordless drill. Finish it off with finer grit paper. You'll have to get in the habit of checking you mast tip for sand before rigging. Many sail manufacturers used this male/female pin concept. My old northwaves had a similar pin but could easily be taken off the strap which was good and bad - bad in that it was easy to loose or fall off when de-rigging - you always needed to carry an extra one. I think once you improve the fit of the sail pin - you'll be happier with your sails.

Rob
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: