myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Looking for a Boom, and Boom advice....
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Derikthin

PostPosted: Tue Apr 12, 2016 3:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

::takes deep breath:::

Going to skip on CL ad.

Going to wait for better sails in my mast length when the opportunity presents itself.

6,7,8 are what I'll keep and eye for.

Going to get longer boom.

patience Derik.. Patience. =).
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cgoudie1 wrote:
I've had great success buying Isobars used
sails ;*) and many others, but you do want to understand how long they've
been rigged and lying in the sun.

Mine are virtually always rigged on the lawn, are moved often to keep them in the shade on same, and are usually only a year old. (Tip: a new batch hits NW April 24.)
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Derikthin wrote:

Careful, there, ThinDerik. Don't space those largely sails too closely and don't mix brands and types too oddly. Different styles and brands evaluate their square meters quite differently and the effective power difference between them even in one brand and model a meter apart is might slim. A 5.0 - 6.0 - 7.5 quiver will cover a wide range of wind with a lot less rigging and no large gaps. A sq meter difference in the 6-7-8 range = a couple of mph of planing threshold.
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agreed, and if I were Derik (notice the proper use of "were" there Amigo ;*) )
and I had 2 masts, I'd probably recommend either a 6.0 7.0 8.5 or a
5.5, 6.5 8.0. The 5.5 would be useful for learning (though he already has
that nasty 5.4 which would work fine for learning).

But for a 1 mast solution, he's probably going to have to go 6,7,8 on a

-Craig

isobars wrote:
Derikthin wrote:

Careful, there, ThinDerik. Don't space those largely sails too closely and don't mix brands and types too oddly. Different styles and brands evaluate their square meters quite differently and the effective power difference between them even in one brand and model a meter apart is might slim. A 5.0 - 6.0 - 7.5 quiver will cover a wide range of wind with a lot less rigging and no large gaps. A sq meter difference in the 6-7-8 range = a couple of mph of planing threshold.

Last edited by cgoudie1 on Wed Apr 13, 2016 3:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
Derikthin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You guys rock! I really appreciate your help and input. This sport is amazing and I have SOOOOO much to learn.

Glad I didn't get those sails yesterday you guys talked me of a cliff there.

I'm going to aquire a boom so my sails don't look like crap and actually function (I mean as well as they can, they are garbage lol)

I'll keep you all posted with my progress via video so you can all get a good laugh.

I'm sure the more I get out I'll have a better idea what I need and what works and where I want to go in terms of style.
shreddbob

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Derik, keep at it. Great you are getting back into the sport Very Happy

This is quite a discussion. I don't remember if this has been said here yet, but once you are planing and in the footstraps and the weather warms up you'll be needing some weed fins for your fleet (if New Jersey anything like Cape Cod, as I believe it is with the weeds). Keep this in mind when buying boards, because the fin boxes can be different between brands. Sometimes a great deal on a used board is undone by having to buy a $130 weed fin for it. The Gorge guys here will not get this Wink

Anyway, keep me in mind when the time comes. (Maybe if you ever come to Cape Cod I can meet you.) I have lots of gear in the garage (boards in the 85 - 105 liter range, weed fins, small sails matched to perfect masts...) that I am going to prune out this summer. Stay tuned! My stuff is always in mint shape (never left in sun, boards always in bags, fin foils not nicked up) and I hardly ever sell any of it because it all works so well that I have a hard time letting go. But this is all for later. For now you need to get a modern 6.0 or 6.5 at least. Something that will get you planing with ease. Your O'Brien sail is definitely great for spending time on the water in low winds...but once you're ready to graduate into higher winds it will hold you back.

Bob
Massachusetts
Derikthin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bob, Go Pats! I'm from Maine originally. And we thank your state for tourism =).

I've seen the weed fins, I'm sure I'll need them at some point. But maybe I'll get lucky and won't =/... Probably not.

I'll keep you in mind come summer. I'll get a better idea what the wind is like around here and such. =). I frequently drive through Massachusets, around once a month or every other to visit family up in south east Maine.
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shreddbob wrote:
Sometimes a great deal on a used board is undone by having to buy a $130 weed fin for it. The Gorge guys here will not get this Wink

I WISH. Hitting a blob of milfoil midriver is like hitting a mattress. In midsummer out east they're all over and we have to walk and sail through yards of the crap in swirling shoreline 5-30 mph wind. Sad
shreddbob

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
shreddbob wrote:
Sometimes a great deal on a used board is undone by having to buy a $130 weed fin for it. The Gorge guys here will not get this Wink

I WISH. Hitting a blob of milfoil midriver is like hitting a mattress. In midsummer out east they're all over and we have to walk and sail through yards of the crap in swirling shoreline 5-30 mph wind. Sad

Oh noooo...I guess I did get hung up on a few weeds at Swell last July on a light wind day. I thought it was just because last summer the water got pretty warm in June/July. So you're saying that weeds have become a problem in recent years then? I haven't been in the Gorge in August in 18 years...but back then I don't remember any weeds. I guess invasive plants are everywhere now. Do not like the way my boards feel with a weed fin.
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Bob, The warmer season last year had weeds blooming earlier than usual,
and Doug's did get a little weeded out, and there were (as there always are)
a few dandy salad bars at the Hatchery in July, but, I never needed a weed
fin (though I did get in the water to clear my skeg a couple of times).

I don't think the issue is any worse than it's ever been.

-Craig

shreddbob wrote:

Oh noooo...I guess I did get hung up on a few weeds at Swell last July on a light wind day. I thought it was just because last summer the water got pretty warm in June/July. So you're saying that weeds have become a problem in recent years then? I haven't been in the Gorge in August in 18 years...but back then I don't remember any weeds. I guess invasive plants are everywhere now. Do not like the way my boards feel with a weed fin.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: