myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Sunday Hatchery rescue
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bf

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 8:35 pm    Post subject: Sunday Hatchery rescue Reply with quote

I would like to again thank the kiters and windsurfers that rescued myself and all my equipment when a bolt failure caused the my board and sail to separate
Sorry I was not able to thank the kiters personally but was not sure exactly who you are. I do indeed appreciate all your help with my board and myself.
You all really saved my ass.
Chris
STAUDA

PostPosted: Sun Apr 10, 2016 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got your board and I'm glad I could help. I've had the same failure windsurfing myself more than once. Such a strange sensation to turn down a swell and all of the sudden you are holding a sail not connected to your board.
Glad you were ok
Dave
biffmalibu

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 7:38 pm    Post subject: Exactly which failure? Reply with quote

There are several ways (Chinook?) "bolt failure" can occur, and I am curious which one it was. This information could be very helpful to somebody in the future as they examine their equipment and take greater care to attach gear.

The ways:
1) "Fork" not pushed all the way in AND snapped into position.
1.5) Fork not pushed in at all.
2) Fork slots/holes get ovaled-out/worn over time, and then at least one of the two fork tines can shift far enough sideways to allow bolt to extract when under slight pressure.
3) Bolt unscrews from universal joint.
4) Steel adjustment pins NOT engaged into ANY adjustment holes on mast extension.
5) Your addition here...

All of these can be prevented by examination and testing and then repair or replacement.

The "Anti-gravity jibe" is not fun on a big day when your first jibe on big fat swell sends your board surfing away directly downwind on a fat swell, almost immediately 50 yards away UPSTREAM. Good thing there were several people to help in the area, and good job helping.
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 8:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Exactly which failure? Reply with quote

biffmalibu wrote:
2) Fork slots/holes get ovaled-out/worn over time, and then at least one of the two fork tines can shift far enough sideways to allow bolt to extract when under slight pressure.

Thanks for the warning. I have one in each board (some for >a decade now), bought most of them for $5 or $10 at swap meets, and never gave a thought to that possibility. Just yesterday I sailed alone in two-mile reaches for hours on that specific 13-yo two-bolt base.

I think I'll go examine it.
westender

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

His bolt snapped off above the hourglass. I thought he told me it wasn't even a year old?
biffmalibu

PostPosted: Wed Apr 13, 2016 11:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

westender wrote:
His bolt snapped off above the hourglass. I thought he told me it wasn't even a year old?

Did you actually see the point of failure, or is this what you were told? Would like to hear from bf. Thanks.
westender

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 12:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was there and saw everything with my own eyes. We were sitting on a picnic table when someone pointed to something bobbing down the river. By the time I got to him he was being towed in and another guy had his rig. He was parked behind me and we all launched from the cove. There was about 1/8" of busted off bolt left where the cup should have been.

Edit: IIRC he said it was Euro pin style.
hargrove

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 12:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi. Just want to post that NSI is almost finished with a board to rig leash system that will prevent this disaster of board/rig separation due to equipment failure. No one likes swimming in 47 degree water, hypothermia being a real possibility. Apparently there were 3 incidences of this happening just last weekend!! Check our website soon!
hydro

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two years ago, I had a Go Pro mounted to the front of the board. The movie showed that the fork was locked, but slowly worked its way loose until the board and rig separated. My solution was to wrap electrical tape around base so it can't come loose. An inexpensive way to prevent failure.
shreddbob

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hydro wrote:
Two years ago, I had a Go Pro mounted to the front of the board. The movie showed that the fork was locked, but slowly worked its way loose until the board and rig separated. My solution was to wrap electrical tape around base so it can't come loose. An inexpensive way to prevent failure.

Hydro. Seems like the OP has a separation related to bolt or pin failure of a Euro pin type uni. What I think your experience was is having to do with a 2-bolt deck plate quick release system, where the slider came undone. (This is Reason 1 in BiffMalibu's excellent post above.) Something I've witnessed that contributes to this failure is the safety webbing (hourglass type uni system) can easily get caught in the quick release slider, preventing the slider from locking. Then the slider will work loose while sailing. I know this has been a reason for rig separations.

This issue has gotten worse since Chinook made a change to longer safety webbing on their hourglass universals about 7 - 8 years ago. It's easy to think the slider is all the way locked, when in fact a corner of the webbing is caught in the slider. Sand, blocked view of the slider due to mast pad, etc. contribute to the uncertainty if you just go by feel and assume the slider is locked when it won't close any more.

I make it a habit to look closely and not rely on feel alone. I pull the safety webbing out to each side before locking the slider, and I wiggle the slider back and forth to verify it's locked. The board needs to be perpendicular to the mast when doing all this (uni not defected so no force on locking mechanism). It's worth the extra 10 seconds!

It's also possible your case was a worn plastic detent.

2-bolt plate--webbing caught.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  478.83 KB
 Viewed:  19649 Time(s)

2-bolt plate--webbing caught.png

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: