myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Used Masts
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DanWeiss

PostPosted: Thu Apr 14, 2016 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

joethewindsufa wrote:
am sure you have all seen this one of Antoine Albeau breaking a mast in the race:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybu7vUrslc4

My German isn't so hot, but that was Dunkerbeck's mast breaking at the top of his extension.

JamesHardy

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 9:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:

* Yeah, I know some people deny that. They're wrong. Yes, it finally exploded, but it took a while and that ain't gonna happen to me anyway. It may go up MY butt, but not its own.

Isobars what the hell, good for you, let your freak flag fly! A little more information about your personal life them most of us want to read on a open forum but good for you. Must feel good to get this out in the open?
chophop

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 2:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wet sand it with 400 grit paper before using a carbon mast as dildo! Shocked
jam-1

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 12:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lot of stress on a mast and boom, carbon apparently is weakened by sunlight as well?
As others have said, who used it first is just as important as who manufactured the mast (IMO). There are people that I would NOT buy used gear from, because I know how they treat their gear on and off the water.

Nothing worse than not having confidence in your gear. If you are questioning it, sounds like you are wary of used masts. Maybe worth a little more money to have peace of mind?

Hope you find the right solution!

http://www.facebook.com/vansurfsports
GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not so sure about the sunlight thing?

Carbon fibre is extensively used in Airbus aircraft which fly pretty high up into the sunlight, above much of the atmosphere's protection. Neil Pryde high carbon content racing masts used to be prone to snapping if left rigged and stressed, in the sunlight. But that may have been more a reflection on Pryde construction, than the material itself.

I use a 12 year old carbon Gorilla kayak paddle which has had all kinds of abuse hurled at it. (Rock bashes, surf, stuck in car in hot sunlight etc.) But it doesn't seem to want to explode and give me an excuse to buy a shiny new one.

Also, carbon bikes seem to be unaffected by either heat (sunlight) or cold (Snow). It's interesting that the experts are sometimes at odds on the subject of durability. Many peoples experience with carbon is that it lasts a long time. But buy NEW, not pre-used!
coachg

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can be pretty sure of the sunlight thing. I have seen way too many masts explode sitting in the hot sun. It is not the carbon that fails, but the epoxy that softens up in the sun. Those Airbus wings use a totally different curing process than they do for our masts. Increasing the sunlight durability of masts to match the Airbus wings would push the costs of already expensive masts out of reach for most people I'm guessing.

Coachg
techno900

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 4:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exploding masts were pretty common with big formula sails, but mostly in the early years of formula. Neil Pryde was the worst, but all brands broke if left in the sun on hot days. Not all of the masts broke, but way too many. Now, most manufactures have beefed them up, added a little weight, and now they are much more dependable.

Formula sailors/racers with multiple sails rigged usually keep them covered on the beach, or at least one could wet down the luff if you didn't have a cover.
isobars

PostPosted: Mon Apr 18, 2016 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's why Fiberspar was commonly called Fibersnap (or my concoction, Feeblespar). One way around the problem is a uv-blocking layer applied to last at the factory, whether it's something exotic or simply a durable paint. My Powerexes would begin to splinter in the boom cutout, which is BAD in two ways: It's gonna snap soon and carbon splinters in your skin are NASTY.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: