myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Fatigued from forearm - better technique for gusts
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LakeSurf

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 4:54 pm    Post subject: Fatigued from forearm - better technique for gusts Reply with quote

I've been windsurfing a few times (just on a lake) and noticed that my front forearm tends to tire quickly. I'm on a heavy board (Motion HiFly widestyle) and when a gust comes it, it feels like I'm fighting the sail (5.5m) and doing what I can to hold on but not gaining decent speed. I don't feel the fatigue as much with more consistent winds and it's easier to gain speed or with no wetsuit / gloves. But any recommendations on technique, gear (harness?), or anything that may help?
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HARNESS.
pmlct

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

most gloves cause forearm/hand fatigue. taking them off and feeling your strength return will answer your question. Otherwise tight wrist cuffs/sleeves on your wetsuit will also cause the same problems
LakeSurf

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

isobars wrote:
HARNESS.

Any recommendation on an inexpensive one? I'm only able to got a few times a year and don't own any other gear yet (currently borrowing everything while looking for decent used stuff).
isobars

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

USED.

Very Happy

Simply because a new one will cost well over $100, there are a zillion models, and fit is highly personal ... much like shoes.

Just buy, borrow, or get from a trash can any old "butt bucket" that more or less fits (e.g., S, M, L is close enough at this stage) as opposed to a waist harness. Any windsurfer who planes regularly has 2 or 3 old harnesses lying around he will be glad to give you. Ask him how to put it on, go sailing,
hook in, sail a few yards until stable, unhook, sail a few yards until stable,
hook in, sail a few yards until stable, unhook, sail a few yards until stable, etc.

Do you see a pattern emerging here? GOOD! A few hours of that and your harness will become second nature. THEN you will have some idea how that free harness fits YOU, and before long can decide whether you need a different one.

You will find that our arms are for turning around, not windsurfing, and your TOW (Time On the Water), rather than your arms, will "soar".

Mike \m/

Last edited by isobars on Fri Apr 15, 2016 6:02 pm; edited 4 times in total
joethewindsufa

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

where are you
i have a pink "butt harness" you could have !!
am sure many others have stuff layin about !!
konajoe

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmmm. Fatigue from gloves and wetsuit would always be there, not just during gusts. And well tuned modern sails would normally load the back hand in a gust.

What kind of 5.5 is it? Do you have a rigging guide for it? I'm guessing it may be an older sail with no full battens, or a poorly tuned full batten sail.
swchandler

PostPosted: Fri Apr 15, 2016 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LakeSurf, sounds to me that windsurfing just a few times a year doesn't prepare you for the effort, especially if things are really off and on. You might be well prepared for some types of exercise, but windsurfing can sometimes require a bit more in some areas. Of course, much depends on your skills, and whether your equipment is well tuned for conditions.

Using other folks stuff doesn't necessarily work well without some changes, such as the height of the boom, harness line and footstrap positioning, to include some varied sail tuning.

Needless to say, having your own equipment and learning more about it is the key to excelling in the sport. Also, you have to ask yourself whether you want to spend more time windsurfing. Time on the water can solve a lot of problems and the difficulties that you might have.
LakeSurf

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

joethewindsufa wrote:
where are you
i have a pink "butt harness" you could have !!
am sure many others have stuff layin about !!

That would be awesome!! I'm in North Carolina. I'd be happy to pay for shipping. Thanks so much for the offer.
LakeSurf

PostPosted: Sat Apr 16, 2016 7:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

konajoe wrote:
Hmmm. Fatigue from gloves and wetsuit would always be there, not just during gusts. And well tuned modern sails would normally load the back hand in a gust.

What kind of 5.5 is it? Do you have a rigging guide for it? I'm guessing it may be an older sail with no full battens, or a poorly tuned full batten sail.

It's an old Gybe 5.5 with cambers and battens. I should probably study more about how to properly rig it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: