myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Beginner Windsurf / SUP Board recommendations
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LakeSurf

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 6:05 pm    Post subject: Beginner Windsurf / SUP Board recommendations Reply with quote

I'm just getting into windsurfing but have SUP'd for a while. I'm 180lbs, am pretty athletic with good board feet, but have a lot to learn about sailing. I'll only get to windsurf 10 or so times a year on the lake by my house, with winds 8-12mph and stronger gusts. I may be able to go the Outer Banks once in a while too, but my time is pretty limited now.

I've been learning on a HiFly Motion board which is super stable, but also super heavy and feels like I'm slogging too much. I've also tried a Malibu Mistral. I can up-haul and balance, but at only 24" wide, it's too unstable for my ability and more frustrating than fun.

So I'm thinking about buying a windsurfing board, and I could justify spending a bit more ($1,000 or so) if I could find something that is good to SUP on too. I SUP more than I windsurf due to lack of wind.

I could get a new Starboard Windsup for about $1,000. Does anyone have any experience surfing and SUPing on that it? Any other recommendations?
LeeD

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Of course, you're free to spend as much money as you wish.....
Stick with the Motion. In your winds, you can only slog around at 3-7 mph anyways, and no amount of money short of a personal watercraft will allow you to go faster.
LakeSurf

PostPosted: Tue Apr 19, 2016 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LeeD wrote:
Of course, you're free to spend as much money as you wish.....
Stick with the Motion. In your winds, you can only slog around at 3-7 mph anyways, and no amount of money short of a personal watercraft will allow you to go faster.

I should have mentioned that I'm borrowing the Motion and may need to return it soon. So I was thinking it would be good to start looking for closeout deals or continue looking for used gear (I haven't had much luck in my area)
LUCARO

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

exocet windsup should be considered
Arrgh

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a ton of discussion on this website if you do a search. I did some research last year but never pulled the trigger. For lake use I would look at something fairly long for good glide and upwind ability. Then there is always the choice of daggerboard or no. I would insist on a real mast track, not one of those silly holes that doesn't look terribly sturdy. (Models vary so much on this that I would ask someone to look at the actual board before sending it to me.) This model seemed to push all the buttons for me, though I don't know if it is still available: http://www.isthmussailboards.com/2016-Starboard-Windsup-Freeride-ASAP-PLANING/productinfo/SB15WSF/
DelCarpenter

PostPosted: Wed Apr 20, 2016 11:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't agree with the LeeD comment about only being able to slog at 3-7 mph with your winds no matter what. I do agree a fairly new beginner will not be able to plane a 90 cm wide, 290 cm long, 18.9kg board in 8-12 mph winds. But I do think getting fairly close to the 8-12 mph wind speeds is possible with a 7.5 to 8.5 sail, though that would take more than a beginner's skills.

I'm biased toward longboard windsurfers that are at least 10'6" or 320cm long, preferably 11'6" or 350 cm long or more such as over 12' or over 360 cm. My Kona One Design is 350 cm long and 70 cm wide (28"). I use it for SUP as well as windsurfing, but I started windsurfing many years ago so balancing on it for SUP is not an issue.
wernerhickey

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 9:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a vid showing windsuping in very low winds trying to thread along the multi directional swell - great fun, the gliding sensation is addictive when winds are light.

https://vimeo.com/139110636
LUCARO

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

https://vimeo.com/160901338
joethewindsufa

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 4:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey Lucaro:

thought that was a Formula board - so wide in the vid Smile
neither of you are riding down waves which is where i thought WindSUPs would especially be of interest

light wind + waves s/b amazing !!
LUCARO

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="joethewindsufa"]hey Lucaro:

thought that was a Formula board - so wide in the vid Smile [quote]

A bit weird looking on the beach too. But it did seem to plane up pretty easy and fits in the owners van.

To OP I would strongly suggest getting a windsup/long board that will plane and has a proper mast track as was mentioned earlier in the thread
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: