myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
very short mast extension for US base and RDM mast?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Apr 21, 2016 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tighten (not too much) a stainless steel hose clamp around the mast and use it as a hacksaw guide. DO NOT BREATHE THE RESIDUE.
nw30

PostPosted: Fri Apr 22, 2016 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You do know that Ezzy makes webbing straps, of various lengths, for their vario tops, I'm sure you could get a longer one, they are interchangeable.

http://www.ezzy.com/accessories/sail-head-webbing/
joethewindsufa

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 6:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i am getting afraid

posts here about cutting carbon booms n masts Embarassed
big NO NO 's in my book Crying or Very sad

epoxy or aluminium -> NP- no problem
techno900

PostPosted: Sat Apr 23, 2016 7:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have cut both, a carbon boom and mast, but more than 10 years ago. The boom was easy, it was an original Gulftech, plus I drilled one new hole in each arm. You could swap out different arm extensions on the old Gulftechs so you could have a wide range of sizes on one boom, but the one I modified was a bit too big for one of the sails that I rigged on it.

I had a 430 mast and cut it to 420, 5 off the tap and 5 off bottom. Worked great with no issues. I had three 430 masts and converting one to a 420 made sense for the one sail that needed it.

However, I might just sail with a gap between the board and sail for awhile until I was sure that there weren't any better options.
bred2shred

PostPosted: Sun Apr 24, 2016 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cutting an inch or two off the bottom of a mast is reallly no big deal. Use a guide like iso says, cut carefully, clean up the cut with a file when you're done. Every carbon mast made is cut at the ends from the factory. I you're really worried about it, you can epoxy a couple tows of carbon around the bottom in the "hoop" direction for reinforcement.

sm
teleclimber

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
You do know that Ezzy makes webbing straps, of various lengths, for their vario tops, I'm sure you could get a longer one, they are interchangeable.

Actually I am still new to Ezzy sails and I didn't know that. It turns out that was the easiest solution. There was no strap in this Ezzy's bag but the other one I bought did have one. Problem solved!

This was far easier and cheaper than cutting masts, buying $200 extensions or buying half-mast sections or anything else.

Thanks for all the replies.[/quote]
DanWeiss

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 1:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fiberspar bases (if you can find one) will run at zero offset, meaning you can ditch the retaining ring and clip that otherwise allow you to adjust height, and simply put your mast directly on the plastic pulley/cleat assembly.

I will caution that you should carefully watch the plastic assembly on any base for deformation under load. Fiberspar RDM and others' bases were known to suffer this over a great deal of time and load.

nw30

PostPosted: Tue Apr 26, 2016 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

teleclimber wrote:
Quote:

Actually I am still new to Ezzy sails and I didn't know that. It turns out that was the easiest solution. There was no strap in this Ezzy's bag but the other one I bought did have one. Problem solved!

This was far easier and cheaper than cutting masts, buying $200 extensions or buying half-mast sections or anything else.

Thanks for all the replies.

You're welcome, actually I hate cutting anything, all it does is limit what you can do with it in the future.
Sail on!
isobars

PostPosted: Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another concern with cutting booms is that the cut ends "rot" as water infiltrates the raw ends. I read somewhere that we're supposed to seal the raw ends with ... something ... I forget what ... after cutting them at home. I cut and sealed mine, but forget what I used.

Then there's the challenge of drilling the new holes EXACTLY. I fabricate exacting stuff all the time, but locating those holes precisely was a bear; still had to drill them oversize to get smooth operation. Sad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: