myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Exocet Windsup Bamboo vs. Kona Carb One
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Goodwind

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 2:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OP wants to compare the subject boards on: early planing, ability to handle wind up to 18mph, upwind ability, planning jibe and tacking.

I have a "cheaper" brother Kona One and a 10' Exocet Bamboo WindSUP; here is my two cents.

Both boards can handle wind up to the low 20mph range and have roughly similar upwind ability. The Exocet WindSup plans earlier, jibes better and tacks easier than Kona One. If you've future racing in mind, go with Kona One. Otherwise, the Windsup is a better choice. The WindSUP is basically a very stable high performance *low wind board. It will never jibe like a 80-90 liters board but you're gonna have tons of fun doing low wind free styles or free rides on it. At 28.6 lbs, its still too heavy for my liking, I hope they'll make a carbon version in the future.

*low wind : 5 to 20 mph.

Last edited by Goodwind on Thu Apr 28, 2016 3:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 4:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

konajoe, IMHO, the windsurfing community has mostly ignored the best class of board available: the planing long board that does well in waves. exocet has tried naming theirs in all types of ways to try to hook folks.

windgood: agreed, a windsup 10' and 11'8" in carbon would be dreamy. esp without the dagger.

http://www.epicgearusa.com/
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 4:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW, just compared 2 short boards vs 11'5" x-longboard. wind was seabreeze, 11-17 mph side shore veering side off. 11'5" crushed the other 2 boards. waves were up to head high. got some seriously long rides DTL, with 6-7 pairs of top and bottom turns. a few lip schmacks too.
brynkaufman2

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 1:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

windgood, thanks for your post confirming what I felt which is the Exocet WindSUP 10 was the better choice for me.

I don't just see it as a low wind board though. I use it in high wind and I think it works great. The stability and size allows me to blast through the choppy water fast without getting tossed around. It still gives me the confidence to sheet in and go fast, where I have found smaller boards bounced me around too much so I had to back off the speed.

I think the concept makes sense. In high wind choppy waters all boards are going to bounce around more, so to me it makes sense that the more stable board will still be more stable.
brynkaufman2

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 2:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

John, I find your comment very interesting. Exocet has a 10'2 WindSUP Carbon with no dagger board. At 156l it is smaller than the 10' WindSUP.

So reading between the lines it seems you prefer the WindSUP 10' shape and size. I was wondering if the WindSUP 10'2 was another option for me but was concerned the smaller board will not plane as fast in light wind, nor be as stable in the choppy water.

Like you I would definitely like to see a 10' WindSUP in Carbon with no dagger board. That would help with the only two complaints I have about this board, which is I don't need the dagger, I had it sewed up anyway, and the weight.
gregnw44

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lrrry wrote:
LUCARO wrote:
I thought the carbone was close to 11 and 1/2 feet long

http://www.konaone.com/the-boards/kona-windsurfing-board-range/

Yes it is.
the specs:
Exocet Bamboo 360cm 79cm 220L 31.46#
Kona Carbon 350cm 70cm 220L 27.55#

So basically the same length, Kona narrower and lighter and more expensive.
Would consider a slightly smaller board (the above companies make them) if it plains at low speeds

The OP lrrry, posted about two specific boards, asking for performance differences.
The Exocet WindSup 11'8" in Bamboo-wood construction.
And the Kona Carbone (carbon construction).
Both times, he asks for light wind planning ability... and upwind ability... and he never mentions "playing in the surf" ability. So, I'm assuming he's mostly a flat water sailor... and he's not concerned about wave riding.

Reading both companies websites, these boards are pretty identical.
They're the same volume. But the Exocet is about 3" longer and 3" wider... therefore we can assume it's thinner (since they're the same vol).
It would be interesting to know if they have the same rocker... or if different, then "how" is their rocker different?

Anyway, he's 195# and a good intermediate sailor. So I think either board would be great. In fact both these boards are better and will do more cool things, than most of us would be able to appreciate.
I think both boards would perform for him, just about the same... their specs are about the same. A pro could tell a difference, maybe, but not him or me.
Unless one has more rocker, than a wave guy would like that one best.

He asked about light wind planing. But he's a 195# intermediate... so there is no light wind planing. A strong and fit 195# expert could probably get both boards planning (if their rocker is the same) in 10-12 mph wind with a 10M sail. Some might say the 11'8" might plane sooner, cause it's wider. But I'd say the Carbone would plane sooner cause it's 4# lighter for the same vol. In reality, they'd probably plane about the same.

He asked about upwind ability. They both have centerboards. I don't know what the over all size is, of the two centerboards... but the websites say the Kona CB is a couple cm's longer. Anyway, their upwind ability is probably both pretty good and equal. Maybe the Kona goes upwind better, cause it's not quite as wide (although it's still wide for a longboard)... and because it's thicker. Although, depending on the rocker, the waterline of the 11'8" may be a bit more. Anyway, when you add it all up... their upwind ability is probably pretty close. Which means, it's good. Much better upwind ability than shorter boards that don't have centerboards.

Ii think the intermediate sailor has to ask himself... how much money do I want to spend... and do I want a really fragile board... and how much weight do I want to carry around?
The light weight Kona Carbon would be VERY cool. But like most light weight boards, I suppose it's VERY fragile.
The 11'8" Exocet "should be" more durable, and it's 4# heavier.
And a regular Kona One should be even more durable, and it would weigh more than the Bamboo 11'8" Exocet would.

All VERY cool boards... pick your price point, and your appreciation for durability.

jingebritsen

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

carbone was not fragile feeling to me. i don't knock around boards, but i am 97 kgs. the board had a great feel to it.

competition construction boards have given the carbon board class a bad reputation. the carbone is pretty tough.

as far as my discussing wave features, i have done upwind adventures to far away sand bars to find better surf during certain wx conditions. sometimes have to grind upwind for prolonged periods to get there. ALL these boards go upwind. carbone planes sooner because of construction and rocker. been there, sailed that.

gregnw44

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jingebritsen wrote:
carbone was not fragile feeling to me. i don't knock around boards, but i am 97 kgs. the board had a great feel to it.

competition construction boards have given the carbon board class a bad reputation. the carbone is pretty tough.

as far as my discussing wave features, i have done upwind adventures to far away sand bars to find better surf during certain wx conditions. sometimes have to grind upwind for prolonged periods to get there. ALL these boards go upwind. carbone planes sooner because of construction and rocker. been there, sailed that.

Cool !!
Good info... I believe you.

So, with all that's been said. I think the OP should "dig deep" and be the guy at his lake with the most exclusive board... the Carbone.
He will be very happy... and if he takes care of it, it'll last forever. AND it's a board none us, will ever out-grow (sailed in the right conditions... which he out-lined Smile

And sure, as was said... all the boards in this discussion are great. And everybody has slightly different needs. Good thing there's a good fit for everyone!!

GURGLETROUSERS

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 3:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This sudden burst of longboard talk certainly stokes the fire! I want one of all mentioned, and some not, (Phantom) , but can't afford it.

The Kona (early original one) is now my main go to do it all cruising/exploring board. It's virtue is that it's tough enough not to have worry when tackling unknown rocky/reefy cliff lines, while having sufficient performance and upwind beating ability to get into, and back out of, tricky situations. (Expensive carbon would lead to much greater worry, and caution.)

As for design, the best shaped board for that kind of thing (balance of performance and stability etc) was my 1986 Bic Bee-bop longboard. Sadly, construction wise it was a disaster area, and, after extensive usage it ended up highly modified fitting wise, and totally and irreversibly waterlogged. (Certainly gave it momentum!)

That shape, in modern Kona 1 type construction, with proper fittings, would be my ideal cruiser/explorer. Meanwhile, the Kona and the old Bic Bamba (recovered from its recent nervous breakdown and seemingly back 'up for it') fill the bill.

Keep talking 'em up folks,and roll on summer. Still got plans!! Laughing Laughing
Awalkspoiled

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 3:34 pm    Post subject: CarbOne Reply with quote

I recently lucked into a lightly used CarbOne at a nearly affordable price, and I’ve sailed the Exocet 11’8” also, although only briefly. I think the Exocet would be the choice is I were going to use it mostly for small surf in light wind. I wouldn’t be happy jumping either one but the Exocet with its center strap option would be more comfortable. Most of my sailing though is in flat water or chop but not in breaking surf, and for that purpose the Carbon Kona is clearly a stronger choice. In fact, it’s about as fun and versatile board as I’ve ever sailed. For reference I’ve been windsurfing since 1979 and weigh 105kg, reasonably skilled but not as daring or athletic as I used to be...

The construction seems extremely solid and although it’s not as light as spec it’s similar to big raceboards but seems to be much sturdier (My last real longboard was an AHD Eliminator which weighed about the same even with 50liters more volume, but which felt like an eggshell.) Masttrack works great and after some tweaking so does the centerboard. I wish it had a Tuttle box but the powerbox is a reasonable second choice I guess. There are a range of strap options fore and aft but no center strap inserts. The strap positions seem just about ideal for blasting around.

In light wind it planes quickly although not as quickly as a Formula board. Much quicker to jump up than a Kona One though and much more fun once it’s up, too. The step tail really does work, and once on a plane it’s just plain FAST - basically feels like a slalom board and a light one at that. The board just seems slippery - I’ve never spent so much time not hooked in because it’s just not necessary. Really fun with a powered 8.5 but I wouldn’t feel any constraint going out in much more wind. Carries a 10.0 well too although for that sail I’d ideally want a wider tail. Jibing on a plane is really smooth and fun, pivot-jibing at slow speed is a little tippy compared with wider offerings but typical of long raceboards.

At slogging speeds the big pedal and the daggerboard take up a lot of room so finding comfortable foot positions is a work in progress. It doesn’t rail up as easily as a real raceboard (I put my back foot on the daggerboard head to tip it up) but once railed with dagger down it’s very fast and points high.

I think it would work well riding waves - it certainly rides swell very nicely - but I’m a little uncomfortable taking a pedal-operated mast track into waves. Just too easy to bend something.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 3 of 6

Jump to: