myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Exocet Windsup Bamboo vs. Kona Carb One
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
swchandler

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2016 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"I think it would work well riding waves - it certainly rides swell very nicely - but I’m a little uncomfortable taking a pedal-operated mast track into waves. Just too easy to bend something."

Awalkspoiled, good review. The Kona Carbone sounds like a great choice for someone who likes the Kona One, but is looking for a higher end version of such a versatile and well accepted design.

The reason I highlighted your comment above, I'm thinking that you just might want to invest in some extra assembly parts, particularly the sliding mast track. When you read about folks looking for replacement components for 80s and 90s raceboards, I'm thinking that it might be good to be prepared for the long run, especially with such an expensive high end model.
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 4:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

center foot strap is more for wave rides than jumping. seen plenty of loopers do so with outboard straps. suggest one work on ways to not jump, since these boards are not warranteed for that.

kona style hull has a ton of rocker compared to old race boards. railing up with dagger is limited by that.

used an 11 on the kona one. with a larger than stock fin, it was great..

http://www.epicgearusa.com/
gregnw44

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jingebritsen wrote:

kona style hull has a ton of rocker compared to old race boards. railing up with dagger is limited by that.

used an 11 on the kona one. with a larger than stock fin, it was great..

Agreed, any of these bigger vol longboards (200L and over) can sail with any JUMBO sized sail.

I'm not talking about how much performance you can get in 20 mph wind with a 11M formula sail. I think a real FW would perform better in that wind, with that same sail.
Although any old "good" raceboard (or new one) will handle it fine... I've done it, a bit (no matter the board's tail width).

HOWEVER, for sailing in light wind, when you just want to cruise around leaning back in the harness... 2-15 mph wind. Any of these jumbo sized sails (old or new ones) work just fine on Kona's and any other good and big longboard.
And me and a ton of sailing buddies have a LOT of experience doing that.
Greg -

PS - Also -
Yes... GREAT review and info about sailing the Carbone !!!

gregnw44

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
Reviving this 5 - 6 month old thread, specifically hoping that two guys who commented, will see my question here, LOL

bmoore98... and
Awalkspoiled - (and any other Carbone owners)
You guys both mentioned, that your Carbone weighs more than what the Kona specs say (their website says 27.5 lbs.). I'm sure this weight is the board without straps, centerboard, and fin. Have you weighed your boards, stripped down like this, on a scale you trust??
I'm curious to know what you got for an actual weight measurement, for your Carbone.
Thanks, Greg Smile

brynkaufman2

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should update my response too. At the time this was posted I only had the WindSUP 10. I now have the CarbOne.

I recommend the CarbOne over the WindSUP 10. The CarbOne planes in lighter winds, and has a faster top speed. It also feels like a more controlled ride in choppy conditions.

I had one problem where the tendon mast base that came with it snapped in less than 2 months of use. I have now purchased some adapters that Chinook makes so I can use a regular mast base, and I am running with a 2 bolt mechanical mast base from Chinook.

Maybe it is my imagination, but I feel like the 2 bolt mechanical mast base makes the board even more responsive to get on a plane in light winds.

Anyway, I feel much more comfortable now that my mast base won't snap so I am very happy about this modification.

They are both great boards, but the CarbOne definitely gets going in lighter wind.

Greg, sorry, I have not weighed my board so I can't give you an estimated weight.
gregnw44

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, cool, congrats of the new board Smile

If you figure out a way to weight it... many of us here would be interested.

What a bummer about the snapped tendon (although my knees can relate)... but there's no way that should happen!!
Tendon U-joints should be very reliable, for many years.
And IMO... there wouldn't be any noticeable performance difference between different designs of U-joints by us mortals. It's possible that 2 pros who sail and test gear side by side 24/7 "might" notice it... but likely not us. At our level, WAY more things will affect planning quickness, than tendon vs. mechanical (at least to me).
Question - when the tendon snapped, did it punch through the board deck, or crack, or anything?
Cause that happened to me years ago, shortboarding. Anyway, it's nice to have those safety lines or webbing... that way you can still sail back to your beach, even with a busted U-joint.

It's nice Chinook makes those "mast-track adaptor plates" so you can attach a regular shortboard base to a mastrack board.
However, you're missing out on a little bit of performance with the Carb One by not using the "on the fly mast adjustment".
It would've been WAY cheaper for you, to just buy a new tendon and replace the busted one. Then you'd know that you're set for years... and you'd have the adjustment if you want it... or don't want it... all is good... but you'd still have that big pedal sticking up. Or maybe you removed that?

If you get a chance, send me a PM... I'm curious about a couple other things with the CarbOne.
Thanks Smile

brynkaufman2

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 3:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Greg, luckily the tendon broke off when I was off the board preparing to beach start so no damage at all.

This is my 2nd tendon to break in the last few months. I researched it and it seems sometimes they last and sometimes they don't. So I have lost some confidence in the tendons.

I tried the on the fly mast adjustments and found that I prefer to find the best spot and keep it there, so I was not worried about losing the adjustable aspect. Another thing I do not use on the board is the dagger board. I just leave it there.

I was told the mechanical mast bases are bomb proof and I noticed it does not even use a rope if the rubber breaks, as there is no rubber on it. It is also nice to be able to connect and disconnect the board without turning on its side.

The peddle is removed so that is out of the way.

I know this is minor, but the adjustable mast track does move a bit, even when locked in. I checked into this as I was not sure if it was broken, because I am used to a mast base with no movement ever, but they said there is a little play with it, that is normal.

Again, a minor point, but perhaps getting rid of that play is why it feels more responsive in light winds. With light winds, you only have a brief gust to get going. If part of that gust is moving the sail on the mast track and not transferring right away to the board, theoretically it would seem a little less responsive. If the play was an inch or more I am sure the difference would be huge, but it is less so that is why I say it is minor.

If possible please ask me more questions in this thread instead of in a PM as others might have the same questions and would probably appreciate knowing more about the two boards.
bmoore98

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CarbOne weight

29.45 bare board
33.65 with dagger board & straps
02.75 dagger board only
03.70 dagger board plates & dagger

These are my notes from when I first brought the board home. I use a digital shipping scale that cost a little over $100. It has a resolution of .05 lbs. I check the calibration with a 20 lb dumbbell and the scale doesn't drift and the readings are repeatable. I don't really know the true weight of the dumbbell but I think my numbers are very close.
gregnw44

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bryn - Sounds good. It's nice to have options... and it's nice to set boards up for how "we like" them.

You're really lucky, no damage from the snapped tendon. And thanks for the info about problems with some tendons lately... it sounds like there might be "a bad batch of rubber out there"!

Maybe the manufacturer's should date the those parts, cause there's no way to know how long it was in a warehouse! I suppose they're aging, even if they're not exposed to UV or actively used. Car tires, all have date codes on them... maybe our U-joints should as well. Putting a new one into use, that "looks new"... but has really been aging in storage for 5 years... can lead to failures at some point, sooner then expected.

Adjustable mast tracks, yes, often have a little "play" in them. But I've been using high performance longboards with them (and good centerboards) for a LONG time. I think you're probably right, theoretically. But in practical reality, I don't think a little "play" in the track would make any difference. I'm 200 lbs and sail longboards in light wind (2-10 mph stuff) with big sails... flat water, no ocean surf conditions, light wind exploring, sailing around a little island, up and down wind challenges, teaching, local club fun light wind races... and the occasional blasting BAF when a rare squall comes through. So in most those activities, there's almost never planning here... I like a nice big centerboard. And I like to move the track once in a while, for up or down wind, or to keep things balanced when going from an 11M to a 6 M, or when giving little kids rides, or teaching, or changes in wind speed, etc.

gregnw44

PostPosted: Mon Oct 10, 2016 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bmoore98 wrote:
CarbOne weight

29.45 bare board
33.65 with dagger board & straps
02.75 dagger board only
03.70 dagger board plates & dagger

These are my notes from when I first brought the board home. I use a digital shipping scale that cost a little over $100. It has a resolution of .05 lbs. I check the calibration with a 20 lb dumbbell and the scale doesn't drift and the readings are repeatable. I don't really know the true weight of the dumbbell but I think my numbers are very close.

Thank you... "thanks a ton" !!!
I know there's variation, especially in boards with big vol like 220L.
But Kona says the weight is 27.5 lbs. And I'm sure that's totally stripped, but I forgot about the centerboard plates.
So yours is still 2 lb too heavy... although maybe that's acceptable (at least, I think I'd be ok with that). What do other's think... is 2 lbs over spec too much for an expensive 27 1/2 lb raceboard?

Anyway I weighed one yesterday on a calibrated and double-checked scale. And I got 31.0 lbs (but that was with the CB plates). The plates weigh 1 lb in your figures... so that puts this CarbOne at 30 lbs. I'll remove them, and weigh it again.
Anyway, 30 lbs is still 2 1/2 more than spec... and seems too heavy (and too far from spec)... for such an expensive board.
THANKS again !!

PS - For another comparison, at the same time... I weighed an inexpensive Kona Step One (also stripped) it weighed 32.0 lbs. Which is exactly what Kona says it should weigh. And it's ONLY a pound heavier then the much more expensive CarbOne I weighed. Of course, maybe this Step One is the lightest one in the warehouse... and this Carb One is the heaviest in the warehouse. Still, if there's more of these 32 lb Step One's... they are "the bargain" for high performance longboards !!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 4 of 6

Jump to: