myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Handling heavy boards
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dllee

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If it's a really windy day, chances of a million cars parked within inches of yours is a distinct impossibility.
And if a million car's are parked with hair's width of yours, those cars are great windbreaks that slow down and disturb the wind.
wernerhickey

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 7:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If it's a really windy day, chances of a million cars parked within inches of yours is a distinct impossibility.
And if a million car's are parked with hair's width of yours, those cars are great windbreaks that slow down and disturb the wind.

Thanks for your comments - really... because it highlights the change in mindset required to adapt to living in another country. You do not need a million cars next to you - one either side will do the trick. When the wind blows here 40 plus cars are trying to access around 20 parking spaces, these look like your average urban parking space including the charges to park. If you are luck enough to get a park you will be locked in by others that will just park across your parking bay to get on the water themselves. If you are really lucky the person that did this can be found and asked to move their vehicle. Otherwise the only other option is to catch a cab home and come back later when you predict everyone else has gone home. Your last comment does not make sense since the board is being placed on the cars roof - the idea is to not get it in the air to catch like a large flat plank. I stuck a mini van in this way recently which led me on this journey - the owner was very understanding and nothing happened but it could have been a very different story given how litigious it can be here. I understand you might not get the context - but you are kind of calling me out, problem?
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the states, if someone parks you in and you need to leave, you go through the numbers in escalating order:
1. Find him and he'll let you out.
2. Look for his keys hidden in the usual spots, and let yourself out.
3. Try his doors and if successful, find his keys and let yourself out and put his car in your spot.
4. Read the note on your windshield. It may say 'My keys are on my left rear tire. Please let yourself out."
5. Get some friends and move his car by hand.
6. Have him towed if you really need to leave.

I've done the first five -- didn't need help with #5 because his car was an original VW Beetle parked on gravel -- but haven't had to do #6 yet.
wernerhickey

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This made my day - same in Australia. First time it happened to me here (Singapore) expected to do 1-4 - no joy. I was shocked this is tolerated but it is with most willing to just wait it out. Many of the local guys are very tight and a great bunch together - the assumption is you are one of them and you won't mind. Its hard to get annoyed and easier to go easier to go with the flow.

Here are some ideas working on for "hacking" the racks. Interested in any other ideas - as I said I will adapt them most of the ideas are some simple cuts and pop rivets.

hack the rack2.png
 Description:
 Filesize:  293.98 KB
 Viewed:  10818 Time(s)

hack the rack2.png

hacking the rack.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  178.85 KB
 Viewed:  10818 Time(s)

hacking the rack.jpg

wernerhickey

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

to gregnw44

Mine is the older version - I was so surprised to find one here and the agent was also surprised to find someone that wanted it - so despite it not being the latest we did the deal. I think the newer one is better - there are improvements in the mechanical movements I think I read somewhere - although I have had no problems - I think this model also went through and upgrade at some stage. you can buy them used and this model is cheaper at the moment if you can find them.

It is a good thing - when I drop it down I put the fin in and mast base at a comfortable waist high (though with the gap hight to the roof now I often leave the mast base in). Another advantage is that I have repaired small chips while it is situ vertically beside the car - flip it over for the other side of the board. I put a bungie cord over it now in the vertical position to hold it while i fiddle around before lifting it. It sits there nicely anyway though. It does not rest on the car in any way - I do not need to push the side mirrors in.

As I said not for everyone - but as I get older I find eliminating inconveniences and thereby pathetic excuses for not getting of the couch is paying dividends with more time on the water Smile.
swchandler

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 3:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having a van avoids many problems, and it's much simpler in the long run. It's hard to understand why many windsurfers don't see the picture.
wernerhickey

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 4:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree - I had a van, also an ambulance built on a F100 chassis but the best was a ford transit British designed postal van - 6'2" head clearance and made mostly of fibreglass. Again here though my current car will cost $100,000 to replace in a few years - it must be scrapped at 10 years of age- commercial vehicles are not allowed to cross the Malaysian border freely (cutting off some fertile sailing).
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amen to that brother! That is a cool rack, but I'll take my van any day.

-Craig

swchandler wrote:
Having a van avoids many problems, and it's much simpler in the long run. It's hard to understand why many windsurfers don't see the picture.
Arrgh

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 12:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for a very interesting thread, from both equipment and geopolitical perspectives. I find it somewhat surprising - what with all the SUPpers out there- that Thule hasn't come out with an SUP version, or at least a modification kit. BTW, count me as one who used to have a van, and maybe I will again some day. Life and circumstances change.
boardsurfr

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swchandler wrote:

I know quite a few guys that have a van and the Thule kayak rack. Even on our high roof Nissan NV van, we have a roof rack that we use most of the time when we drive to Hatteras (and every time we go to long board races like the ECWF). I thought about getting two Thule racks, but instead built a wood rack because it was about $1000 cheaper, and Thule did not have the attachment hardware for the NV when I looked.

Our van is organized for "fast in, fast out", with fins in the boards, no need for board bags, and plenty of space to change and put bags. That limits the number of boards we can easily carry inside to about 8 or 9. That may sound like a lot, but with 2 windsurfers who sail in 5-45 mph wind and use freestyle, slalom, speed, and light wind boards, the roof rack is often necessary.

Defi Avon.jpeg
 Description:
100+ racers in Avon on 4/20/2016
 Filesize:  89 KB
 Viewed:  10675 Time(s)

Defi Avon.jpeg

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: