myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Tides
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
airwave

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 5:22 pm    Post subject: Tides Reply with quote

I use "Classic" iWindsurf for forecast and data.

It would be nice if the Benicia, San Pablo Bay, and Point Isabel locations had a tide chart included with their other information.
radross

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Davis Point for San Pablo Bay. Be nicer, though, if WindAlert provided ebb and flood data. Maybe it is there, but I can only find tides.
Ross
pacspeed

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

COuldnt agree more...so many spots are tide dependant. Crissy comes right to mind.
windsrf

PostPosted: Thu Apr 28, 2016 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I already followed up on the Pt. Isabel sensor, when the replacement didn't give a Tides link.

Here's the response.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Unfortunately, we are unable to add a "Tides" link to the Pt. Isabel Shoreline sensor in iWindsurf Classic. I understand you use that sensor a lot, so here is a link to the Tide Data for that sensor specifically in our new iWindsurf:
http://wx.iwindsurf.com/map#37.897,-121.937,10,1,!161947,5

Since you prefer iWindsurf Classic, you could save this link and it can take you right to the Tide Data for that sensor, so you don't have to worry about trying to locate it in our new iWindsurf.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Then I asked why the "new sensor" at Berkeley retained its Tides link and got the following from Maureen.

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

I asked for a little more information on why it is different. I was told that even though the Berkley equipment is new, it is still the same station ID, which is why there is still Tide Data linked to that sensor. The Pt. Isabel Shoreline sensor is new equipment and in a new location, so it has a different station ID.

Upon further research I was able to locate the old Pt. Isabel sensor link that had the Tide Data. Even though the station has moved, the Tide Data provided for the old Pt. Isabel sensor is still valid.

Here is a link straight to the old Pt. Isabel tides on Classic iWindsurf: http://www.iwindsurf.com/windandwhere.iws?regionID=125&siteID=222&Isection=Tides

xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Some of that explanation is Greek to me, but maybe helpful to others? For now if I want to know the tides at PI I just click over to Berkeley - but less convenient.

Maybe if enough of us feel similarly and complain something can be adjusted?

David
burkely

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Consider WindAlert. It's included with iwindsurf, has all the info you want and more. I resisted it for a while, but finally gave in and spent some time getting familiar with it. It is superior to iwindsurf.

Brian
windsrf

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Brian - may have to do so also.
airwave

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We use Wind Alert, iW on the phone and pad, and at times the non classic iWindsurf.
I also use other sensors to get the Point Isabel tides, such as Berkeley. They are virtually the same.

But my request is not due to a lack of information. It's all there. Same for San Pablo Bay and to some degree Benicia.

But in the 21st Century it seems it would be easy to set up those sensors with nearby tides so that a "one click" choice can be made instead of having to search around and use other resources for the information.

Last edited by airwave on Fri Apr 29, 2016 5:27 pm; edited 1 time in total
radross

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian- Where in WindAlert does one locate the current (i.e., the max ebb and max flood, and knts) for a particular station, or the one that matters TI? Unlike Classic Iwindsurf, WindAlert seems to only provide tide information for nearby spots.
Ross
PAmuddog

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 5:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try this Tide predictor:

http://tides.mobilegeographics.com/zones/:America/Los_Angeles

As an example.......I always refer to Calaveras Point when seeking tidal data for sailing at Palo Alto as it is at the open water latitude where we sail. It is spot on!

The iWindsurf graph uses the Palo Alto Yacht Harbor coordinates which is 1/2 mile up a narrow channel close to the 101 freeway, it takes a long time for the tide to reach that coordinate, lots of lag from where we sail. I have found discrepancies of +/- 1 hour and +/- 1 foot between these coordinates.

Hope this will help! Very Happy

Jack
burkely

PostPosted: Fri Apr 29, 2016 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Where in WindAlert does one locate the current (i.e., the max ebb and max flood, and knts) for a particular station, or the one that matters TI? Unlike Classic Iwindsurf, WindAlert seems to only provide tide information for nearby spots."

Ross - In Wind Alert go to the station you are interested in and scroll down to the tide section. At the top of the tide section you will see - Spots. From there you can choose a tide spot or current spot at the location of interest. Hope this helps.

Brian
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: