myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Need gybing help (planing exits!) - Video Link Inside
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ghost1

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 12:33 pm    Post subject: Need gybing help (planing exits!) - Video Link Inside Reply with quote

Hey guys,

I'm entering my 5th year of windsurfing in Souther Ontario Canada now. I am able to get out in planing conditions about 30-40 days per year if I'm really going after it.

I'm struggling with my carve gybes. I can typically make it around, but can't come out planing. I've come close a few times but never done it. I often times round slightly upwind which kills any chance of planing out.

I put together a super quick video of 3 of my gybes. Any advice is appreciated. I know I need to stop grabbing the mast, but I'm really having trouble with that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUaWCyUFw_Y

Thanks
ghost1
kevinkan

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you are very close, and it will come soon for you. looks like you could switch your feet a little bit sooner and also not step so far forward. Your front foot ends up ahead or to the side of the mast. one thing that helps planing through jibes is fairly constant board trim. if your board wobbles rail to flat or fore and aft, that just kills your speed

also, the foot switch, sail flip, and sheet in combo needs to happen a little faster. right now things are slowed down a little bit having to move your feet back on the board on the new tack before dropping down and sheeting in the sail.

https://www.instagram.com/sunsetsailboards
http://www.facebook.com/sunsetsailboards
boardsurfr

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Kevin, you are doing a lot of things right. If you follow Kevin's advice, you'll probably plane out of some jibes soon. I'd add that you should try to face forward a bit more when re-accelerating. That includes your front foot, which can point directly to the front of the board, and your upper body.

That said, I would also suggest that you try something else, especially when jibing in high wind: oversheet more. You are keeping power in the sail the entire time, so your body needs to lean back, which makes the board bouncier and wobblier.

To sheet in more, move the back hand further back, and keep the front arm extended. Let the sail pull you into the turn and forward; it will automatically go light as you turn downwind. With the light sail and the more forward body position, the board cuts through the chop much more smoothly, and you keep more speed.

I find it rather counter-intuitive that you keep more speed when you over sheet and let the sail depower early in the turn, but that's what does happen.

If you have the Dasher 12-step jibe DVD, compare Dasher's jibes to the jibes of the younger guy in stronger winds. Dasher oversheets less (but still more than you do). You can see images in this blog post.
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 2:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Need gybing help (planing exits!) - Video Link Inside Reply with quote

So, all the above stuff will help, and here's one more thing, your sail flip is
really slow. You should toss that thing around with your back hand, rather
than wait for it to come around. If you toss it, you won't need to grab
the mast as much, and it won't be behind you after the flip.

Also, I hesitate to mention this, but you really are planning all the way around, when you lose your plane is when you're juggling your feet
at the end of the jibe. Your board trim is bouncing from rail to rail at
that part of your jibe. You really need to think about keeping the board
on one rail (or at least flat at the end of the jibe). One way to do that
is not to switch feet until after the sail flip. That's just a thought, it it's an
old school one at that. Try one and see if you like it. If you don't, stick with what you're doing, because you're almost there.

-Craig

ghost1 wrote:
Hey guys,

I'm entering my 5th year of windsurfing in Souther Ontario Canada now. I am able to get out in planing conditions about 30-40 days per year if I'm really going after it.

I'm struggling with my carve gybes. I can typically make it around, but can't come out planing. I've come close a few times but never done it. I often times round slightly upwind which kills any chance of planing out.

I put together a super quick video of 3 of my gybes. Any advice is appreciated. I know I need to stop grabbing the mast, but I'm really having trouble with that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IUaWCyUFw_Y

Thanks
ghost1
VinceSF

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

boardsurfr wrote:

That said, I would also suggest that you try something else, especially when jibing in high wind: oversheet more. You are keeping power in the sail the entire time, so your body needs to lean back, which makes the board bouncier and wobblier.

To sheet in more, move the back hand further back, and keep the front arm extended. Let the sail pull you into the turn and forward; it will automatically go light as you turn downwind. With the light sail and the more forward body position, the board cuts through the chop much more smoothly, and you keep more speed.

This is a perfect explanation. the added bonus of a depowered sail is the fact you can control it and make it do what you want it to do. In this instance you, can flip it earlier and the right way (bring the sail closer to your face then flip it). It will spin on itself and you will be able to reach with both hands right away, thus keeping a good control of it while you switch your feet.
To summarize: sheet it first as you start turning, when the sail feels neutral (light) prepare to flip. by then you should be downwind starting to go the other way. then the sail flip happens, while still having enough speed, and you can replace your feet, power up and keep planing!

like others said your body placement is nearly right, you're almost there. keep those knees bent.
coachg

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm only going to address your setup because if you improve your setup some of the other problems could go away. Look back, reach back & arch back.

You should always look back before you jibe so it becomes a habit. If you get into the habit of not looking back where you normally sail and you suddenly sail in crowded conditions it could get nasty with you jibing right into another sailor.

Reach back with your back hand on the boom to gain greater leverage on the boom which will allow you to sheet in the sail before & during your jibe.

Arch your hips up to unhook from the harness lines instead of standing up as you do which reduces your leverage over the sail.

Coachg
isobars

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you searched the forum (the SEARCH button at the top left of your iW screen) for previous discussions of gybing/jibing? There are hundreds of informative posts on it. You're already years ahead of where many of us were in our 5th year, so you're off to a good start.

Mike \m/
beaglebuddy

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 4:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm no expert but as said previously the back hand needs to slide way back which is not happening at all. Also because you are not sheeting in prior, half way thru the jibe the sail is 90 degrees to the board (as if you are trying to sail straight downwind).
I cannot see if the front hand is sliding to the boom head just prior to the flip (boom shaka).
Perhaps concentrate on carving the board more with your feet, pushing down with one foot but also lifting up with the other foot in the strap.
The flip seems stalled, perhaps try sailing out clue first which will then get you a more vigorous flip as the wind will be working more to want to flip the sail.

Last edited by beaglebuddy on Sun May 01, 2016 4:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
beaglebuddy

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something funky is going on with your hands, are you grabbing the mast? As you start the flip it seems your back hand (which will be your new front hand) is not reaching around to the other side of the boom but is instead apparently grabbing the mast then your front hand goes to the back of the boom and becomes your new back hand but then you next have to move your new front hand off the mast, it should already be on the boom. This move is stalling your exit.
bred2shred

PostPosted: Sun May 01, 2016 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with what others have said - you're really close, so if you keep working it, you will get there. More time on the water will get you planing out. That said, I agree with the previous poster that said your sail flip looks slow (and late). You need to commit to flipping the sail as much as you commit to carving the board. The sail flip is not a passive passive part of the jibe. As soon as you feel the power in the sail drop to zero, huck the boom around. The sooner your sail is flipped to the new side, the sooner you can put power back into the board to keep yourself on plane through the exit.

sm
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: