myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Need gybing help (planing exits!) - Video Link Inside
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 4:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just watched your season 2015 summation video. good times.

if you have your sail lead you thru the jibe, you will be able to plane thru. flip the sail earlier, mast foot pressure the sail on new tack, then switch feet.

http://www.epicgearusa.com/
ctuna

PostPosted: Thu Jun 02, 2016 12:51 am    Post subject: Speed is your friend bumps aren't Reply with quote

Speed is your friend bumps aren't
well unless you can find bump to surf on.
Technic is easier to work on in flat water
with a medium or big rig and board.
Gotta carry enough speed in to plane till you can
get power back in the sail.
If you are not accelerating when you head downwind
into the carve you probably won't come out planning.
Slide front hand to mast along the boom no grabbing
the mast as an intermediate transition . Then technically
you are suppose to grasp the boom underhanded first on the
new side as it keeps the elbow out of the way .

There are many training videos
see

http://www.sideoff.com/

go to the guy cribb site become a member he has
many instructional pdf's there
Peter Hart use to have a two part tape on just jibing
that was pretty good at the time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCFxAOaGU78

Lots of good stuff like this on ytube now this is classic.
Also wind speed has a big effect.
Low wind speed you need a big rig and have to do everything
you can to get your speed up and conserve momentum during the
carve. Maybe plan to go downwind in a gust.
medium wind just the good techniques already mentioned.
High wind you have chop no trouble with speed because the
wind is pushing you even when you are going dowinwind.
Then you think about planning your arc through the chop.
Using the chop and tighter turns are usually favored.
alap

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two words: forward commitment

All that was mentioned here are really the different sides of the same coin.

You pull with your back hand hard, but the sail is still exposed to the wind, you pull hard, this causes the load on your back foot, this loads your tail, the board starts to plow, hence it looses speed fast, plus it bounces, plus because your sail is exposed to the wind it creates a force preventing the turn - your arc is very long. Your back foot is bend and look on your face - you fighting it.

I had (and still have when not focused or overpowered) similar problems.

As in so many other cases Guy Cribb had a word of wisdom that helped me tremendously: http://www.guycribb.com/userfiles/documents/carve%20gybe-%20the%20Approach.pdf
go to the last page, whatever he calls "Advanced jibing".

For me it is the only way to jibe. Search his website for "sidesweep" (on this page he doesn't use the term, but this is when he slides backhand to the clew on entry, I guess he came out with this fundamental skill recently)

Also notice how he suggests to bend front leg more than the back one.

The first time I tried his advice it was amazing - body vertical (what Dasher calls strong body position), chin up Smile , sail weightless, nose loaded and not bouncing, some force literally pulling me into the turn. Time for everything, like in slow motion.

As I was thinking about it, two observations. First as useful Dasher's video is, steps are only prerequisites - jibe is just one or two moves, i.e. you have to address things simultaneously, not sequentially. Cribb's advice is just that - one single move.

Second point, is the word "oversheet". English is my second language and I had a connotation, that it is 'sheeting very strongly". It was reinforced by advices "sheet more". Even when I realised that it is not "sheet strongly" but rather close the sail so it is not exposed to the wind... even then when I was trying to oversheet quite often it was simply impossible - I am fighting against the wind and in strong wind it is impossible. Even when you win, it takes time to pull the sail towards the tail, and during this precious time the vicious cycle begins - pull more, press more on back foot, board plows, nose rises...

Cribb's advice allowed me to concentrate not on the pull with back hand but rather on letting front end go forward and in, moving the mast down, and then this achieves the same goal of closing the sail from the wind.
isobars

PostPosted: Tue Jun 28, 2016 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

alap wrote:
even then when I was trying to oversheet quite often it was simply impossible - I am fighting against the wind and in strong wind it is impossible. Even when you win, it takes time to pull the sail towards the tail, and during this precious time the vicious cycle begins - pull more, press more on back foot, board plows, nose rises...

Cribb's advice allowed me to concentrate not on the pull with back hand but rather on letting front end go forward and in, moving the mast down, and then this achieves the same goal of closing the sail from the wind.

Fully agree ... the effect is amazing. It's as though the entire rig no longer exists or the wind has completely gone away. If done soon enough in the turn, even when way overpowered it remains effortless. It feels as though the back hand (and thus the clew) is way up behind you. On smaller sails than Cribb is using, there's not really a need to slide your back hand way back. It's more important to shove the front hand, and with it the mast, WAY out front and WAY into the turn (downwind). If that leaves your clew too exposed, sheet in more the next time.
alap

PostPosted: Wed Jun 29, 2016 10:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

oops noticed a typo in the end of my post:
...back hand but rather on letting front end go forward and in...

of course I meant "hand" instead of "end":
...back hand but rather on letting front hand go forward and in...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4

Jump to: