myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
West wind in CT

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
npiankov

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2016 5:21 pm    Post subject: West wind in CT Reply with quote

Hi all,

I need to be at the JFK airport by 4pm on Sunday, driving from Boston. Being wind-starved like many of us, I don't want to miss the opportunity to sail, though. So I've been thinking about getting to sail on the way, somewhere along the Connecticut shoreline around lunch time (that's when the wind is supposed to kick in) and still be at the airport by 4.

I have never sailed anywhere there, so have no idea what spots work best in W direction. Looking at iWindsurf, there is Hammonaset and Larchmont (very close to NY). Any thoughts? Other suggestions?

I am into freestyle, so prefer flat-ish water. I'd rather deal with patchy wind than with bizarre 2ft chop out in the open ocean.

Thanks! Nikita.
jpeter

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hammonasset would be a good spot. BUT if the wind blows 25 it will be 2-4ft short period windswell. Maybe not your cup of tea but a clean fetch in West direction. And other windsurfers present.
JP
fanatik

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 7:53 am    Post subject: West Wind Reply with quote

Barn Island Boat launch in Stonington, CT presents some of the strongest West Wind due to funneling down LI Sound. Usually a Fall situation. Spring wind may be more SW which can be good too, but not usually a SW destination, may be stronger elsewhere. Still a long way from JFK though. I think you were hoping for somewhere closer.
boardsurfr

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

raesmar wrote:
Barn Island Boat launch in Stonington, CT presents some of the strongest West Wind due to funneling down LI sound.

Go upwind a bit more than a km from the launch, and sail right behind Sandy Point Island. You'll find knee deep water and some of the smoothest water you can imagine.

If the wind is west, it's not even upwind, you can probably reach the island in a single tack. There are other flat areas closer to the launch. Even the chop in the middle tends to be well organized. Might be a good place for Shakas Smile

Last edited by boardsurfr on Fri May 13, 2016 8:12 am; edited 1 time in total
wndjnky2

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 8:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Long Beach in Stratford is pretty good. Park at the end of the parking lot. Lots of kiters and a few windsurfers.
npiankov

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you all for the suggestions! Stonington sounds intriguing, but 2.5 hours away... I think I will just start driving down 95 and then if I see it's already windy enough, I will stop and sail. Otherwise continue to Hammonaset or Stratford. Stratford is just an hour away, so I can go in at 1pm and still make it on time...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: