myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
West wind PA/NJ
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RSA147

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 6:52 am    Post subject: West wind PA/NJ Reply with quote

So looks like we are due for a pretty strong westerly on Sunday, what would be the best place close to Philly to sail on Sunday?
rswabsin

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 11:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your best bet (IMO) would be sailing out of the marina at Seaside Heights or from the parking lot in Lavallette. The wind will be dead onshore but you can walk your rig out a ways from shore and sail miles in either direction. Lavallette is a little tougher to sail out of the cove and upwind but once outside, its nice B&J conditions with super flat water for speed runs off of West Point Island. Water should be getting warmer now too! Not sure how Lakes Bay is in a west wind.

Rob
RSA147

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 1:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lakes bay should be a cross shore launch, not sure how clean the wind is from that direction. If it works in a west I guess my odds for sailing with someone else is best at Lakes bay.

All ocean spots will be dead offshore Sad
LeeD

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Offshore winds are fine, even in waves bigger than head high. Can we assume you're not a beginner? Just pick a slightly bigger board, maybe 10 liters more, and sail in front of the breaking waves.
Tuba Mancha up at Drakes Bay is often straight offshore, and lots of sailors go up there.
Jalama is land of changing winds, and offshore is not tough to sail, if it keeps coming. Lulls in the wind hurt you, that's why the floatier board.
RSA147

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cool thank you. Not an expert but don't sail alone in the waves, especially not if offshore. Will check it out hoping there will be some ither sailors out too.

Cheers
motogon

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RSA147 wrote:
Lakes bay should be a cross shore launch, not sure how clean the wind is from that direction. If it works in a west I guess my odds for sailing with someone else is best at Lakes bay.

Lakes Bay works on west wind, but west is always gusty in NJ. I'll be most likely sail Lakes Bay on Sunday.
BTW: tomorrow, on Saturday swap meet at Lakes Bay. Also may be light but sailable SW wind in afternoon.

paulf.

PostPosted: Fri May 13, 2016 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're determined to get in the ocean(haven't seen the swell forecast), west is side shore if you head down to cape may which is a south facing beach.
scargo

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 8:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've gotten to the point where I won't mess with due W wind, just too gusty. The rule of thumb is that the more northerly it is, the steadier, that is, NNW is better than WNW. Yesterday is was due W, therefore the 5-30 conditions.

That said, I've sailed Ocean Gate many times on W wind. The Toms River seems to smooth things out a bit. Seaside and Lavallette also work well.
Saturday was the call. SSW, 5.5 fully powered. Didn't see anyone else out!??

Was at the ocean yesterday at LBI. I'm a decent sailor, but with cold water temperatures, and not another boat (let alone windsurfer) in sight, I'd never sail in those offshore conditions. Could I pinch back to shore? Most likely yes, but if anything went wrong, next stop Bermuda. Or a call to the Coast Guard, which would give me a much-deserved slap upside the head before dragging me aboard.
rswabsin

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Yesterday is was due W, therefore the 5-30 conditions."

Yeah it was a frustrating sail yesterday - I sailed on the Raritan Bay that typically has real nice exposure for west winds but I switched back and forth between a 5.2 and 4.2 with plenty of lite wind shlogging in between. But I'll take it!

Rob
bred2shred

PostPosted: Mon May 16, 2016 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I second Lavallette or Seaside for West wind, with a favor to Lavallette (because it's closer to me and also has a nice large grassy rigging area).

People love to complain about West winds but if you go into it with the mindset/understanding that West is a naturally gusty direction, you will be much better off. Put on a little bigger board, add a little more twist to your sail and expect that you may have to wait now and then for your puff to get going. You have to pay a lot more attention to the conditions during a West wind as compared to Southerlies (which we had on Saturday), but that's what makes West winds more challenging and (potentially) rewarding.

The other thing you have to watch out for on the barrier islands is that if we get persistent West winds for several days, the streets can flood making the bayside launches inaccessible.

sm
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: