myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Board Suggestions_ freeride / 10-15 knots / chop / 155 lbs
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jacq.lesage@gmail.com

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 2:56 pm    Post subject: Board Suggestions_ freeride / 10-15 knots / chop / 155 lbs Reply with quote

Looking for a light-wind board to pair with my 6.3 and 7.6m sails (also own 5.5m) for freeride sailing. I'm an intermediate sailor able to jibe and water start. Local bay conditions are gusty where winds above ~ 20 knots normally forces you to either hop or spin out over chop. In addition conditions are seldom 15-20 knots, more like 10-14 or 22+. I currently own a 99l Naish Floater and 103l Naish 8'11" Freeride. Both have served me well but I'm looking to extend my sailing to light-wind days, even if it isn't planing. My research has pointed me towards boards such as the 117 Mistral Synchro and 113 Hawk Fanatic.

I'm quite torn on the decision. For one I will not be able to test before I buy as local gear is rare. In addition I don't know what a board newer than 15 years old feels like. The 8'11" is able to take the 7.6m but it's not a good fit. In the future I plan to replace my current Naish boards with an 85-90l board to pair with the lighter wind board. 7.6m will likely remain my largest sail. Look forward any and all suggestions. Thanks.

- Jacques
dllee

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 3:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naish Titan 120.
Faster and more hgh strung, Naish Bullet 115.
Basically, any fast freeride or easy riding slalom board, but if you're working on planing jibes, maybe a Magic, Gecko, Atom.
dvCali

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 5:43 pm    Post subject: Re: Board Suggestions_ freeride / 10-15 knots / chop / 155 lbs Reply with quote

I am 155 pounds too. I have an Isonic 110 (2009) and eventually I will get something a bit bigger/wider (around 115/75) for max-size 7.5 (I am selling my 8.0 as we speak). Probably an Isonic 114 or wait for an upcoming hydrofoil/convertible slalom/course around 120L.

If you buy now I would not agonize about it if I were you. Any 110-120 slalom or freerace board will do: they are all pretty good nowadays.
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cross 114 is an excellent choice.

just sailed it today in 10-27 mph conditions

http://www.exocet-original.com/cross-carbon.php

posted this on fb:
what great surprise. the wind blasted this afternoon. it was shifty and gusty. WSW, W and WNW directions blowing over 25 in the highest gusts. kept on disbelieving the strength, so i held onto my freespeed 7.2 sail. could have been on 6.2

http://www.iwindsurf.com/windandwhere.iws?regionID=112&siteID=6894

http://www.epicgearusa.com/
gvogelsang

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Light wind planing board - RocketWide 128.
marc5

PostPosted: Sun May 22, 2016 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jack, you wrote:

"I'm looking to extend my sailing to light-wind days, even if it isn't planing."

If you are looking for fun in non-planing conditions, I think you would be happier on a long board, rather than schlogging on a short board. However, for those days when conditions allow someone of your light weight to plane, you might like the way the short wide boards get up on a plane. Last fall I bought an RRD carbon Firemove 122. I love in 17-25 mph winds with a 7.0 (my biggest sail). I weight 185. It gets me up and planing, coasting through the lulls, when my buddies are schlogging. At your weight you could sail the next size down, or use the 122 to be high and dry! Let us know what you decide.
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just another opinion: Don't go super wide. At your lite weight, you don't really need it. Look at boards like the Tabou Rocket 115. Plenty of float for your weight. Planes very early, fast and free once its going. Could carry a 7.5 sail. I'm 170 lbs with 35 years on a board. I rode the first editions of the super wide boards. I think they have a place for first time in the straps and planning newbie riders. Not so much for a progressing windsurfer.
The Rocket has been the bench mark of the freeride board market. That said, I hear that the Rocket wide 108 is a nice combination of not over wide and a fast and free ride. I would not go any wider or bigger than that
UncleRandy

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jack i think for 10 to 15 knots at your 155lbs and use up
To 7.6 sail a 115 to 120L would be the right size i like the new
Wide boards they will get u planing in lite wind and steal controllable
In to the low 20's. I would really look at the 120 L u will improve much
Faster if on a board that help's keep u on the top side of the water and
Have more fun. U can use smaller sails and learn moves much sooner.
jacq.lesage@gmail.com

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 4:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone it's awesome to see this number of messages already.

For starters the responses confirm my target volume as I was uncertain if 115-120L was too big for my weight. Second, I should have been clearer about my priority. Comfort in chop is #1. I have no issue sacrificing top speed though retaining early planning and some carving ability for faster jibes are nice. I am a bit shy of the wider pancake boards due to non-flat water conditions I experience.

Can't say this decision will be any easier with all these suggestions! Ultimately I need to decide if want a freemove board (ie Cross, Syncro) at it's upper volume design or freeride.
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

another exocet board that excels as free ride and/or race: s-cross 126
http://www.epicgearusa.com/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: