myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Board Suggestions_ freeride / 10-15 knots / chop / 155 lbs
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tabou has a 106 and a 116 3s.. I have the 96 3s These boards have super thick pads, and a narrow tail with cut outs. For me, this board is by far one of the smoothest ride over chop. Maybe not as fast as the Rocket or a fast freeride board, but much better control and turning. Just ask anyone that has one...
dllee

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2016 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In general, fast freeride planes up the earliest, as early as wide freeride, but just goes faster once planing.
Wide freerides jibe the easiest, almost autopilot planing past downwind, but do seem to hit a lot of chop due to it's wider width at the front foot area.
Regular freerides and NOT intended for light wind sailing, as the softer rails, shorter flat rocker, tend to make them more controllable in medium wind conditions as an all around board, not for lighter winds only.
gvogelsang

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 8:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jack_Att4ck wrote:
Thanks everyone it's awesome to see this number of messages already.

For starters the responses confirm my target volume as I was uncertain if 115-120L was too big for my weight. Second, I should have been clearer about my priority. Comfort in chop is #1. I have no issue sacrificing top speed though retaining early planning and some carving ability for faster jibes are nice. I am a bit shy of the wider pancake boards due to non-flat water conditions I experience.

Can't say this decision will be any easier with all these suggestions! Ultimately I need to decide if want a freemove board (ie Cross, Syncro) at it's upper volume design or freeride.

I must say that my Firemove 122 is much more comfortable in chop than one would think as indicated by the width of the board. It seems to hover over the chop, even for me in 5.5 conditions. I weigh 210. A Firemove 112 might be the ticket. Besides, if this is going to be your light wind board, chop should not be that big of an issue.

If chop is the biggest issue, Tabou Rocket could be the charm. I am going to try the Rocket 125 soon to compare against my Firemove. As Novaan said, Rocket 115 might be a prefect board for you.
scargo

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like my Rocket 115 a lot. Planes up fine notwitstanding the double concaves, which iron out the chop. Mine feels perfect with a 7.0, so would be fine with sails on either side of that.
Arrgh

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 10:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NOVAAN wrote:
Tabou has a 106 and a 116 3s.. I have the 96 3s These boards have super thick pads, and a narrow tail with cut outs. For me, this board is by far one of the smoothest ride over chop. Maybe not as fast as the Rocket or a fast freeride board, but much better control and turning. Just ask anyone that has one...

Ask me! I got a 3S 96 this spring and the performance in chop is amazing. Faster and more comfortable than my Cross 104, and doesn't get tossed around by mixed up chop. I bought it mostly to use with my 5.5, but it is perfectly happy in 4.7 conditions. The last board I had that would go thru chop like this was my Bic Saxo, which weighed 20 pounds and needed a small hurricane to get it moving. The 3S 116 and Rocket 115 have nearly the same specs. The Rocket will be faster, of course. If I used a 6.3 in nasty chop more I might lean toward the 3S; if I used the 7.6 in smoother water more I would go with the Rocket. Tough choice.
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 11:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep. That's why you rarely see one used for sale. The Rocket 115 is my lite wind board. As soon as wind permits, I grab the 3S. Steady 6.0 down to 4.7 this board is a blast. The smooth ride and thick pads extend my time on the water. No need for the LTD construction on the smaller boards. The CED is plenty lite without the extra 400 bucks. I might consider the 3S 116 next time for my lite wind board if my local lake ever fills up again...
boardsurfr

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Fanatic Hawk is a fantastic board, but probably the wrong choice if you are looking for comfort in chop. I replaced my older Hawk 95 with a 3S 96 a few years ago, and that made a huge difference in comfort. The 3S 96 handled chop so well that I never have a reason anymore to go to a smaller board, even in 35 mph wind. The 3S 116 would take your 7.6 without problems, and should get you going quite easily. Finding a used one will be nearly impossible, though.
pmlct

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 11:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jacques, reading your initial post you are looking to freeride in the 10-14 or 10-22 knot range that you see when it isn't blowing over 22 knots the rest of the time. I own a rocket 125, a 3S 116 and a Syncro 114 along with bigger and smaller boards that are not relevant to this discussion. I have also ridden briefly a rocket 115 and a Hawk 108. I think the rockets are more comfortable than the hawk, my older 2008 syncro is smoother than my 2014 rocket and my 2013 3S is the smoothest of them all by far. I also consider my 3S 116 to be slow and that is why I picked up the Syncro-to replace it. The 3S has a narrower tail that makes it harder to plane in light wind, compared to any modern freeride board. I weigh 185 lbs. At your weight I would tell you to stay with freeride boards for those sail sizes, stay with the newer short/wide designs versus the older longer no-nose designs and with comfort in mind stay away from freerace designs as well. If you have flatter water in light winds then the rocket, syncro or exocet cross boards around 115 liters all ride smoothly and would be good choices. If you have rougher water in those conditions and you don't want to be flying off of every piece of chop or swell then you have to sacrifice some speed for control so consider large freestyle/wave designs. Some good choices in bigger sizes that aren't real slow would be the RRD, Fanatic and JP models. If others disagree with me about my 3S being slow then include that as well. I hope this is helpful
dllee

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2016 11:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well yes, severe chop in winds of 12-18 would just present a huge problem for almost everyone.
boardsurfr

PostPosted: Wed May 25, 2016 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

pmlct wrote:
If others disagree with me about my 3S being slow then include that as well. I hope this is helpful

Indeed, I disagree. The 3S has a very smooth ride, so it will feel slower than other boards at the same speed. It also has a wide range of speeds - it can go slow or fast, depending on how you sail it. That differs from slalom boards, which can only go fast, and feel even faster than they are going (and which will be faster than the 3S, but less comfortable).

I have GPS data from one day where I rented a 3S 116 (the 2015 model). My top speed was 28.2 mph in 18 mph wind, gusting to 23. That was with a 7.5 m freeride sail and a BP Delta fin. That's pretty decent speed on a freeride board, at least for my standards. I definitely had the feeling that the board would go faster with a good pointer fin and a race sail.

That said, a Tabou Rocket 115 or Rocket Wide 108 may be an even better choice for marginal conditions. They are also quite smooth, but a bit faster and more exciting to sail, without requiring the same amount of attention and technique that a slalom board might need.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: