myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Mosier Skeeters
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
westender

PostPosted: Thu May 26, 2016 5:59 pm    Post subject: Mosier Skeeters Reply with quote

Sailed Mosier 5-25 and was attacked by the most gigantic swarm of ferocious mosquitoes. Just FYI. Down by the water no problem. Grassy? rigging area watch out!? They'll invade your vehicle too!!
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Fri May 27, 2016 5:54 am    Post subject: Re: Mosier Skeeters Reply with quote

I've seen Doug's get like that early season also, not sure what causes it, but it
had us running towards the track while we were derigging a couple of years ago.
Always seems worse around dusk

-Craig

westender wrote:
Sailed Mosier 5-25 and was attacked by the most gigantic swarm of ferocious mosquitoes. Just FYI. Down by the water no problem. Grassy? rigging area watch out!? They'll invade your vehicle too!!
biffmalibu

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 1:37 pm    Post subject: skeeters in Mosier Reply with quote

(I live in Mosier.)
There are two "lakes" in Mosier. They are ideal skeeter breeding waters, close to the park. The state highway department used to poison the lakes/mosquitos; they have not done so for years. Perhaps it was wiser to divert highway funds toward I-5 bridge consulting or Oracle's Cover Oregon consulting. So, be prepared for attack! Stay away from the tall grass and shrubs (good habitat for ambush). And pack up before the wind dies and the sun gets low. I fantasize about timely introduction of guppies (mosquito predators), etc. into these lakes. Because I don't believe there are enough bats to go around eating the adults. It would make Mosier much more comfortable as temperatures warm.

The Gorge is a special climate for this latitude, relatively mild even in winter. And getting milder, thanks to GLOBAL WARMING. Just look at the USA Today climate map of USA on a regular basis; you will consistently see a tongue of mild weather extending from Portland through the Gorge as climate is moderated by the gigantic river and gorge topography. Legit theories exist re: catastrophic disease and death of the natives hundreds of years ago due to malarial mosquitos (transported from the south via bilge tanks in British and Spanish ships). Perhaps more than smallpox did them in. Mosquitos do not like hard freezes, and so perhaps the malaria outbreak lasted only one year. This was back in the day, before the Industrial Revolution and consequent GLOBAL WARMING.

I think it would be wise to monitor the Gorge for various mosquito-borne diseases. Including Dengue, West Nile, and Zika. Bugs prefer warm weather, and it's just not freezing here much anymore.
westender

PostPosted: Sat May 28, 2016 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm feeling old and tired. I think the skeeters did something to me.
biffmalibu

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm feeling old and tired too.
Ready to shred fatties again today?
Twisted Evil
beaglebuddy

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You lost me at GLOBAL WARMING.
dllee

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Global warming" old news.
Cyclical Climate Change is the new happenning.
Mean's similar, but places the blame away from humans.
merriam

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 11:25 pm    Post subject: Re: skeeters in Mosier Reply with quote

biffmalibu wrote:
Mosquitos do not like hard freezes,

Never been to Minnesota or Alaska?
westender

PostPosted: Sun May 29, 2016 11:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ouch. Biff takes a left and then a right. The old one two.
biffmalibu

PostPosted: Mon May 30, 2016 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a good read. It explains the difference between the concepts of global warming (a measurement) and climate change (a phenomenon resulting from global warming).
http://cleantechnica.com/2015/05/27/global-warming-is-not-a-theory-it-is-a-measurement/

I noticed when "climate change" became the predominant verbiage several years ago, replacing "global warming". It is more palatable to the conscience. Because it avoids psychological admission of the big/original problem. And it is vague. Therefore, it reads a lot nicer in proposed government bills designed to address the ultimate problems resulting from the original cause (which is global warming, of course). Some of those bills even get support from Republicans.

I respect scientists who dedicate their lives to collecting data and crunching numbers, as well as making experiments, in the search for answers to big questions. We should never forget their efforts or disparage them in the name of politics. I feel comfortable siding with 97% of scientists who agree that global warming is measurable and human-induced, starting with the burning of coal as a main fuel/power source during the Industrial Revolution. It's very sad and alarming, and so I understand how many cannot bear to admit or think about, especially those who have children and grandchildren, etc. who will be forced to contend with consequent desertification, water/oil wars, higher population/smaller land mass, less food, intensified violent weather phenomena, mass species extinction, etc. And so I cannot get very upset about it when deniers pop up anywhere.

I suppose this should now be moved to a political section.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Northwest USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: