myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
There's flooding down in Texass
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions
View previous topic :: View next topic  
techno900

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Big rains and flooding are normal in Texas. 215 major and 41 catastrophic events between 1850 and 2002.

Texas storms 1850 - 2002 with associated rain fall.

25 in. or more
(17 storms)

20 to 24.99 in.
(17 storms)

15 to 19.99 in.
(40 storms)

10 to 14.99 in.
(86 storms)

5 to 9.99 in.
(68 storms)

0 to 4.99 in.
(28 storms)

Those classified as "catastrophic" have been on a steady increase, but it looks like they are classified by deaths and damage, which would be expected as the population and community growth expand.

More at: http://floodsafety.com/texas/USGSdemo/2001to1975.htm
mac

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Guys, I think I'm done with the bullies Isobars, Matty, Bard and NW. I don't mind exchanging ideas with the other liberals and conservatives here when they are mostly respectful and intelligent. But I'm tired of the folks whose idea of an intelligent comment is to call Obama, Clinton, or liberals in general names. If we could only get those guys off the forum, this would be fun again
nw30

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 1:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How tame of you mac, you just called us "bullies", one of the most tamest things you have ever called us, trying to roll a new leaf for a change?

And~

Was your title for this thread spelled the way your really wanted it to be spelled? I'm thinking it was, beings that "Texass" is lousy with republicans.
mat-ty

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mac wrote:
Guys, I think I'm done with the bullies Isobars, Matty, Bard and NW. I don't mind exchanging ideas with the other liberals and conservatives here when they are mostly respectful and intelligent. But I'm tired of the folks whose idea of an intelligent comment is to call Obama, Clinton, or liberals in general names. If we could only get those guys off the forum, this would be fun again

You're more pathetic than Hillary. You are by far the nastiest most condescending person on this forum, and almost always make it personal.
Like most hypocritical liberals you have zero interest in any exchange of ideas, who the hell do you think you are fooling?
mac

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 2:52 pm    Post subject: re Reply with quote

NW--you caught me in a mistake. Congratulations. Matty, you are the worst name caller on the forum, with anyting of substance presented calmly an extreme rarity. Couldn't miss an opportunity for an ad hominem attack on Hillary and me, eh? You've threatened to quit--which is maybe the most constructive of all your posts.
mrgybe

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Texass...........a mistake? Raygun.......a typo? Jaysus........a momentary lapse? I think not. All intended (unsuccessfully) to demean.
KGB-NP

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't know everyone was so sensitive here. Do you guys want to hug it out? 😀
mac

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, if I wanted to disparage Texas I could do it by providing a link or two to show how the slow down in oil prices has hurt the economy, or how they are afraid of regulating methane as a greenhouse gas: https://www.texastribune.org/tribpedia/environmental-problems-and-policies/

or how the oil industry gets its way in the legislature, no matter what. I could post pictures of exploding chemical manufacturing plants, or leaking pipelines that aren't maintained. Or I could post a link showing that the State budget relies on Federal money for nearly 1/3 of its revenue: https://ballotpedia.org/Texas_state_budget_and_finances

or the fact that their schools rank 31st in the country--sadly still ahead of California's: https://wallethub.com/edu/states-with-the-best-schools/5335/

or the sad fact that Texas rate of teen pregnancy remains highest in the country. What, you mean preaching abstinence and restricting access to birth control isn't working?

Quote:
Last Wednesday brought a dose of positive news for anyone concerned about Texas' sky-high teen birth rate, which given that it costs the state an estimated $1.1 billion per year and puts Texas in the company of such bastions of progressive public-health policy as Mississippi, Arkansas and Oklahoma, should be everyone. According to The Dallas Morning News, the state-run Healthy Texas Women program will provide low-income teenagers with access to free birth control. In another hopeful sign, the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services awarded a $4.9 million grant to a coalition of local nonprofits, researchers and healthcare providers to combat teen pregnancy in five Dallas ZIP codes that have stubbornly defied the national decline in teen pregnancy, where as many as one in nine girls aged 15-19 has given birth.

Expanding access to contraception and improving education, as these new initiatives do, are hardly groundbreaking techniques in the fight against unintended pregnancy. Then again, Texas doesn't have to break any new ground in order to lower its embarrassingly high teen pregnancy rate. There are plenty of tried-and-true methods that Texas can pull off the shelf if and when it decides to. It could, for instance, simply follow the lead of California, which used to be neck-and-neck with Texas on teen pregnancy. But California has reduced its pregnancy rate by two-thirds, about twice as fast as Texas, and is now right at the national average. If Texas is serious about doing the same, experts say, it needs to improve in the following areas:

Or posted information about the slight of hand used by Bush and Perry to give the illusion of progress,

But I actually posted a factual article about the Houston area having record floods two years in a row, one of the phenomena predicted by climate change models. And no, contrary to the claims of mrgybe, it has little to do with developing the marshes, it has mostly to do with very intense rainfall. I'm happy that you all contributed to the thoughtful discussion you pretend to favor.
mrgybe

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This from the article he posted, which he characterized as "thoughtful" but now believes to be untrue.......

The Bayou Land Conservancy, in fact, says that filling the wetlands has “directly” resulted in an increase of flooding
When wetlands are allowed to function, they’re the kidneys of the area’s watershed. Their special soil types are surrounded by particular wetland plants that help hold water in shallow depressions. They clean the water as they allow some of it to filter slowly into the ground, the rest to drain slowly into our bayous. That process is the foundation of our region’s ecology. The rampant destruction of our forested and prairie wetlands is upsetting this balance, drastically reducing the land’s ability to absorb water.
mac

PostPosted: Fri Jun 03, 2016 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"Little to do" escaped you, eh. You didn't post your source, I found it--among others. But the overwhelming problem was high intensity rainfall, largely in the upper watershed. It is pretty amusing to see amateurs dabble in hydrology.

On Ronnie Raygun, that slang term has been around forever. The reason that Reagan is abhorred by the left is primarily that he sold guns to Contra death squads.

Quote:
We go to Managua, Nicaragua to speak with Fr. Miguel D’Escoto, a Catholic priest who was Nicaragua’s Foreign Minister under the Sandinista government in the 1980s. [Includes transcript]

The 8 years Reagan was in office represented one of the most bloody eras in the history of the Western hemisphere, as Washington funneled money, weapons and other supplies to right wing death squads. And the death toll was staggering–more than 70,000 political killings in El Salvador, more than 100,000 in Guatemala, 30,000 killed in the contra war in Nicaragua. In Washington, the forces carrying out the violence were called "freedom fighters." This is how Ronald Reagan described the Contras in Nicaragua: "They are our brothers, these freedom fighters and we owe them our help. They are the moral equal of our founding fathers."

Fr. Miguel D’Escoto, a Catholic priest based in Managua, Nicaragua. He was Nicaragua’s Foreign Minister under the Sandinista government in the 1980s.

We know now that the Soviet Union was weak (not because of Star Wars, but that didn't help), and that making union with anti-communists (or jihadists), no matter how abhorrent they are, is bad public policy.

Reagan also ignored the developing AIDs epidemic, pandered to the racist right with bogus claims about "welfare queens", vetoed legisiation to impose sanctions on South Africa (overridden, with even McConnell voting to override), and crafted the current immigration legislation to allow migrant agricultural workers--and undermine unionization of agriculture. To top it off, he was the first divorced President, and at least for a time, estranged from his children. Family values at work in the land of factless beliefs. Matty's hero.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Politics, Off-Topic, Opinions All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: