myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Bruised shins and mast storage questions
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sacandagalady

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 8:05 pm    Post subject: Bruised shins and mast storage questions Reply with quote

Hello all,

I recently moved from a Starboard Go Tufskin-covered board to a Mistral Explosion. With the Go, my lower legs never got skinned on the board due to the covering. Is there anything I can apply easily to the Mistral like Tufskin covering? I know the answer is waterstarting, and that is something I do inconsistently at this point.

Secondly, some of the mast black plastic storage tubes are splitting at the ends. I am referring to the tubes that hold the two mast pieces in a bag for storage. I would like to replace the plastic tubes with similar. What would I be looking for or asking for at a hardware or other retail store.

Thank you in advance and happy sailing

Adena
LUCARO

PostPosted: Tue Jun 07, 2016 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re shins

You could were a wet suit or cover the deck of the mistral with some of this stuff

http://www.northshoreinc.com/store/pc/viewCategories.asp?idCategory=141

It would probably stick better without the existing nonskid paint on the mistral (which I would not remove) but I think it would probably hold pretty good until you have learned to water start. I would suggest laying down strips of 6 inches with a quarter inch in between each in the area where you climb up onto the board.

They offer double thickness which is nice and cushy and they can add a peel and stick glue to the deck pad so all you need to do is peel off the paper and lay it down.

I would not bother about changing the mast plastic holding tubes. Unless you are really slamming the end of the mast during transport and storage but a photo would be good.

Last edited by LUCARO on Wed Jun 08, 2016 10:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
coachg

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 8:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.sportsunlimitedinc.com/storelli-bodyshield-goalkeeping-legguard.html?CID=GoogleShopping&country=US&Color-Size=Black-L&gclid=Cj0KEQjwhN-6BRCJsePgxru9iIwBEiQAI8rq8_vcPePaxZLc-6VB60OHMe3KS5GCGsFra111_tLc5MIaAhcO8P8HAQ

Coachg
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 9:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing comes to mind about the covering on the board, THAT makes sense.

A wetsuit would help.

The plastic tubes are used on initial shipment, to make things pretty and increase the sensation of all the money you just spend. Some masts for storage slip inside the other end.

There are lots who don't even use the mast bags for transport.

Bottom line use the mast bag and OR both till the plastic is worn.

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
bred2shred

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 11:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some board manufacturers use very aggressive/sharp non-skid on the deck surface. You can knock off some of the sharpness by lightly abrading the surface with sandpaper. Don't go too crazy or you'll take off all the non-skid, but a couple quick passes with sand paper and you should still have enough surface texture to hold your feet in position without scraping your legs. If you wear water shoes/booties when you sail, you can be a little more aggressive with this since the booties will give you better traction than bare feet.

Anyway, that's where I would start. Next step would be to apply a foam pad (hydro turf) over the deck.

You could wear a wetsuit, but you'll just end up tearing up the suit rather than your legs. Plus that may not be an option in warmer climates.

sm
rgomez

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This happened to me when I shifted from the eva comfort of JP funster to a Tabou Rocket. I didnt have to do anything, I just got used to it after 5-10 sessions...I'm pretty sure the grit didn't wear out because my friends still get hurt using my board.
Ugly_Bird

PostPosted: Wed Jun 08, 2016 9:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Bruised shins and mast storage questions Reply with quote

Adena wrote:
Hello all,

I recently moved from a Starboard Go Tufskin-covered board to a Mistral Explosion.

Adena

I'm using Explosion since 2006 and initially had the same problem. If recalling correctly, I asked the same question here on the forum back than. Smile The answer was fine sand paper. It worked really well to dull the roughness.

Andrei.
Arrgh

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In warm weather you can use a farmer john/jane instead of a shorty. I like the ones like the Neosport that have the Velcro closure on the shoulder. Available from online dive shops.
boardsurfr

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or use long thin mm neoprene pants on hot days. NRS has them, and they are also sold as SUP pants in many stores that sell watersports gear. I use them all summer long, and never have to worry about abrasions anymore. They are also nice to have when there are jellyfish.
Sacandagalady

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to all of you who took the time to respond to me to answer questions. Yes, water starting will be a real big goal this year. I just can't seem to enjoy wearing a wet suit once the weather heats up, but maybe a thin suit can work and help on out.

I really like the idea of applying stick on material to help with the abrasions, although I will first try the sanding trick.

I am truly glad to know that I wasn't alone with this one and that others have had the same issue in the past.

Today I didn't need to worry about any of it, as I had a wet suit on due to high winds and the cooler water temps.

Damn..just hate wearing one.....
Thanks again all,

Adena
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: