myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Are NeilPryde sails becoming extinct in the US?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Wind_Boarder

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 6:53 pm    Post subject: Are NeilPryde sails becoming extinct in the US? Reply with quote

Hi Guys,

I've been using NeilPryde sails/masts exclusively for the past 10 years. Now I am finding it harder and harder to find places that sell these sails! I can't find new NeilPryde sail lineups in any US store right now. Thankfully there are still a couple of stores in Canada that carry them.

What is going on? I've invested a lot in this brand and the sails work really well. Is it time to give up on NeilPryde sails?

Alak
beallmd

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It used to be called Neil Pryde Maui, but now Action Sports Maui. They sell and rent all Neil Pryde sails, exclusively. They have close out and used stuff, you can call there if you need something in particular. (808) 877-7443
beallmd

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BTW, Ive switched to Pryde wetsuits; absolutely terrific but so are the O'Neills Ive used all my life dating back to the 60's as an old surfer (shark bate).
carl

PostPosted: Thu Jun 09, 2016 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try a local store in San Mateo, they have sold NP for a long time:
helm-sports dot com
ericwelty

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 11:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There may be a good reason for not many out in the surf. They did not hold up for me, I managed to destroy four of those sails in one season at Waddell. One time I was hit by a wave from behind and witnessed the sail shredded right in front of me while still standing upright ( unbelievable ) I have not bought another Neil Pryde since . Perhaps they have become tougher though.
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 12:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adventure Sports Miami sells them. The Combat HD is as durable as any sail sold. Some of the others, no so durable.
jp5

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MalibuGuru wrote:
Adventure Sports Miami sells them. The Combat HD is as durable as any sail sold. Some of the others, no so durable.

Which model is the one you just blew out?
eghoffman

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I put a knee through one that I was demoing in Los Barilles a couple of years ago. Low speed, just kind of fell against the sail. It was one of the crossver / bump & jump models. I don't want to extrapolate one bad experience to the whole line, but that never would have happened with one of my Hot Sails.
MalibuGuru

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 1:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jpbassman wrote:
MalibuGuru wrote:

Which model is the one you just blew out?

NP Atlas, but that blew out because it was a very big wave and I was right over the outside rock. Logo high. The Atlas is very fragile, but best sail IMO.
dllee

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Atlas is the most stressed, like the old Onshore Wave idea, Duke, and most company's lighter wind wave sails. Perimeter tension and seam shaping the highest, just more tension for bigger stronger rider's who still want handling.
As said, Combat is the most durable, and possibly the best for lighter winds for a given size.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Southwest USA, Hawaii, Mexico All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: