myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Good launch in Marblehead?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Awalkspoiled

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 3:31 pm    Post subject: Good launch in Marblehead? Reply with quote

Visiting family on monday 6/13 but may have a few hours in the afternoon to ride. Haven’t been there in many years. Any specially good (or unexpectedly bad) places to launch a longboard? Looks like NW winds. They’re on Gas House Lane which looks like it is near a little harbor area but is probably in a big shadow in northwesterlies. Thanks!
flaherty

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 3:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Others may have a better answer,as I haven't sailed on the North Shore in a few years. But, I would go to Nahant beach, look on Google. NW would be slightly off shore , but pretty flat , and easy for a longboard. Go all the way to the end of the beach, and you can launch there.
shreddbob

PostPosted: Fri Jun 10, 2016 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen people launching at Chandler Hovey Park, at the tip of Marblehead Neck. This was many years ago though. At that time parking was free for everyone, even non residents, and on weekends the lot filled up early but most people don't stay too long and spots would open up.

Ideal would be a light to moderate NW wind. NE works too. Don't try in NNE (too onshore to the launching). There are rocks in the water near shore, but I think the cove location I've marked below has a relatively rock free zone to launch from. There is a steep scramble to get down to the cove with your gear, but it has been done. (Myles, you listening?) Could be dicey launching at high tide, with some small breaking action of any swell? Once you accomplish the tricky launching there is nice scenic sailing to be had to your right. Be sure to stay clear of boats coming and going from the harbor to your left.

I've always intended to sail there myself, but never have.

Hope this is helpful. No guarantee on the present parking situation, or on how many rocks you might hit with your skeg Cool Good luck!

Bob

Chandler Hovey Park Marblehead.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  287.41 KB
 Viewed:  11016 Time(s)

Chandler Hovey Park Marblehead.jpg

Launch Spot.jpg
 Description:
 Filesize:  594.08 KB
 Viewed:  11016 Time(s)

Launch Spot.jpg

Awalkspoiled

PostPosted: Sat Jun 11, 2016 8:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for your thoughts, guys - Nahant is probably the wisest choice and I’ve sailed actually there, back in the ‘80s. One of the few places to get real side-off surf because you sometimes got waves wrapping in and breaking on the little sandbars a hunder yards out. I’ll see how the afternoon shapes up. Big front coming through sunday and Monday should still be pretty strong but gusty by the time I get free.
mat-ty

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 6:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Definitly Nahant. Easy access, clean offshore with glass conditions, and most likely some nice waves to play with. That launch in Marblehead would be sketcky imo. lots of boat traffic, very choppy conditions.
shreddbob

PostPosted: Sun Jun 12, 2016 4:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mat-ty wrote:
Definitly Nahant. Easy access, clean offshore with glass conditions, and most likely some nice waves to play with. That launch in Marblehead would be sketcky imo. lots of boat traffic, very choppy conditions.

Depends what you're after. If it's a beautiful day and there is great scenery to be had (Marblehead), once you get past the launching the experience might be well worth it. Case in point, I once launched my Mistral Equipe longboard from a very rocky treacherous spot in Bar Harbor Maine (at the little known park behind the clock that is in the center of town). Very dicey. I was well aware of the tides, deciding when to launch. I waded into the water several times to plot my launching. I carried the board out onto a large rock that was dry on top in chest deep water. Got my sail, and hooked it up on top of the rock. Threw everything in the water between swells...then had the time of my life cruising the whole of Frenchman's Bay that gorgeous day, planing with my 8.5 Very Happy Fantastic experience! Coming back in 1-1/2 hours later was even more dicey. The tide had come up and my rock was not quite as dry, but I and the gear made it in safely with much care.

Something to be done once and treasured forever.
Awalkspoiled

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nahant was flat so I just launched from the little inlet where my cousins were staying. Once past the headland conditions were just about perfect - all lit up on an 8.5/Carbone and gorgeous views everywhere. Some pretty fluky currents but with that much wind the currents didn’t really matter. Fantastic day. My little cousins (5&3) got to flatwater “surf” on the unrigged board which was memorable too.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: