myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
I <3 Windsurfing... Tales from a complete Newb...
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Derikthin

PostPosted: Mon Jun 13, 2016 8:42 pm    Post subject: I <3 Windsurfing... Tales from a complete Newb... Reply with quote

Long time no talk! =).

The wind gods shined down upon me and a sweetheart of a chap bequeathed me some amazing equipment, to which I'll be forever grateful.

Furthermore I just wanted to share how over the moon excited I am about this sport. I love it, and you'd be hard pressed to find someone worse at it then me.

I went out last Friday to Sandy Hook and met a really nice guy named Min who, after seeing that I obviously needed some direction, gave me some pointers on how to beach start. After he showed me I basically floundered in the water for a good hour and a half without much luck, but with a little more knowledge then I had before.

The wind was super hard I think upper 20's (MPH) and there were lots of waves. They were awesome conditions for a man of Min's caliber but they basically Bitch slapped me the whole morning. I got to experience being ripped out of the water and flipped over the sail, not once but twice. It was actually pretty exciting and since I was not injured I was able to find humor in it. Made me glad that I purchased a helmet because I can see how easily you can get injured doing this now.

So even though I didn't actually get up and planing or moving that day I walked away with a lot of knowledge. I got a better feeling for the way that the sail interacted with the wind. I learned the importance of mast base pressure and I also learned that sequence of steps needed to accomplish the beach start. So I learned.

Flash forward to today.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kVp3ANYR2fY

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YFuf9Bok7zg

Those are a couple videos of me attempting to beach start, and then actually beach starting. Also lots of falling down and wading in the water. Sorry for not cutting that stuff out =(.

So Min's tips did NOT go to waste! I actually did it today and got that son of a B planing (not sure that was captured). It felt soon awesome! I had ZERO confidence in my ability to turn around and come back so I kept beach starting, going fast and then just stopping and walking it back. Must have done that like 20-30 times.

I eventually gave it a go to turn downwind and try to come back but it was all for not and I'd fall back in. I uphauled and came back a couple times which gave me the confidence to go faster for longer off shore but then I started having trouble with up hauling and found more stuff I'll have to work on.

I learned even MORE this time out and have been through the moon this afternoon at my mediocrity. I can't imagine whats going to happen when I get halfway decent at this, people are going to think I'm on drugs or something.

Thank you all for your tips, your help and support.
Can't wait to meet more people out in the water and on the beach.

Derik A.
scargo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I commend you for posting vids.

One small suggestion. The faster you can break the habit of placing your front hand close to the mast, the better. That goes not only for water starting, but for pretty much everything else you'll do in windsurfing.

This promises to be a memorable summer for you. The stoke you're feeling now will likely never go away.
Derikthin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll try and get better at cutting out the boring bit's next time I post a video, it's pretty long and boring right now.

Thank you for the tip on the hand placement! I'll try that out next Tuesday when I go with the family. I'm still thinking about getting a life vest with a patch on the back that say's

"I'm terrible at this, please do not hesitate to give me guidance!"

The guy Min that gave me pointers seemed hesitant at first to approach me. I could not have been happier for the help.

So for anyone else who see's a 6'4 dark haired noob falling down constantly feel free to critique as softly or as harshly as possible =). What I lack in weight I make up for in thick skin and the desire to get better.

I have NEVER enjoyed the prospect of the summer or the beach this much in my 32 years.
Derikthin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just went back to look at the video and If I was any further up that boom I'd be dry humping the mast.

What's the advantage to hanging further back on the boom? More power? Or the fact that I wouldn't have to lean so far forward to turn the board?
scargo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That particular bad habit causes dozens of problems, two of which you mention. But it really comes down to forming an illegitimate relationship with your source of power. Unchecked, it will make almost everything harder, including keeping the board from pinching, waterstarting, getting on a plane, getting in the harness, getting in the footstraps, sailing overpowered, sailing fast, etc. It also leads to the related problem of running your harness lines too far forward.
Derikthin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm excited to go out next and adjust my hand placement.

One thing I'm enjoying each time I go out are the subtle little things with regards to where the boom is placed and the relation of the mast/sail reaction to the mast foot and the board.

I also rigged the sail to high, it should have been lower towards the mast foot but I was in a rush for no reason and figured "Meh, it'll be ok". I have a bad habit of trying to be in a rush and Just need to take my time and do things right.

And to be honest of all the things I messed around with the other day I never once moved my hands further down that boom =(.
scargo

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two more suggestions.

First, when beach starting in shallow water like that, you shouldn't be climbing on the back of the board, especially since you're so tall. Instead, try to fly the sail while you're standing right next to where the front footstraps are. (Your arms will be angled up quite a bit, but you can feather the sail to keep control). Then simply lift one leg and step on. Similar to how you'd step onto a desk--get you hip next to it, and then lift your leg high. That will keep you from "plunging" onto the board.

Second, when uphauling, after you've winched the sail in using the uphaul rope, grasp with your FRONT hand first. You were consistently doing it the other way, which prevents you from getting the feeling of pulling the sail across the body before sheeting in. That's why you were getting thrown off. By reaching with your back hand, you started powering the sail before it was balanced across the board. So uphaul . . . grasp with front hand . . . pull sail (still in neutral position) across body . . . then sheet in with the back hand.
Derikthin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

More gold =). Thank you!

I'll post updates to try and prove that I value and will adopt your input and that your efforts are not wasted =).

Cant wait for Sandy Hook next week.
wynsurfer

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What board is that you are on? I can see it is a Bic, looks very old, narrow and maybe short? Something newer / wider would make life much easier and the learning curve quicker.

The hand placement,moving the mast hand further back is spot on!
Derikthin

PostPosted: Tue Jun 14, 2016 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's an older bic Rock. I've been told it's 120 liters. I was actually given a newer Bic Techno that I thought was less liters (of course its clearly written on the GD board that its 125. So maybe next time. I don't mind the challenge.

I keep telling myself I'm starting off playing the atari and eventually when I work up to the PS4 I'll really truly appreciate it. It's not at all frustrating for me at this point, I can't blame the machine only the operator. Plus maybe it'll give me some kind of advantage in the long run. Maybe I'll have better balance or awareness or something (probably not, but let me tell myself these lies).

I truly appreciate the valuable input. =)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: