myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Ocean Side IBSP Question........AND Safety*
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scargo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends on the conditions. Lots of people de-rig in the water if the launch is rocky, and there's a protected, shallow area. I think the idea would be to de-rig in a place like that to give the sailor some sense of what kinds of complications to anticipate, because the skills would be at least semi-transferable to the disaster scenario.
Derikthin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've rigged up in the water before. I was at our lake and threw my board in, because our neighbor had his boat parked at our dock. Then jumped in and rigged up.

I'd rather find out the consequences in a controlled environment now I suppose then learn about it during a crisis.

However, as my wife has ingrained in me over 10 years of marriage, when I think I'm right I'm usually wrong.
bred2shred

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want to do it, that's your choice. I'm just letting you know that it may not be the best idea. If you're assembling/disassembling your rig in the water on a windy (and wavy?) day, especially if you're sailing out any considerable distance from shore first, there is a good chance you could - break battens, break your mast, separate from your board, lose pretty much any piece of equipment, etc.

If I were going to do it (which I wouldn't), It would be on a calm, flat day.

sm
scargo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I guess we're going back and forth, but the those possible consequences you identify militate, at least to me, in favor of doing the drill.

For example, when I had to de-rig in VERY rough seas, I had to think through how I was going to keep the rig from separating from me, and me from separating from the board. I think I used the downhaul line to tie the rig to the board, while I swam out to the head of the sail to roll it up. And I had dozens of other smaller issues to work through, many of which, I suspect, could have been at least flagged in advance during a controlled exercise. That's why first responders, kayakers, mountaineers, etc. etc. do drills, while assuming an acceptable risk that stuff will break.

As far as breaking battens, I don't know how that would happen absent breaking waves or shore pound, as the sail normally just floats along the top of the surface.

Anyway, I'm certainly not advocating that someone risk life or limb. I'm talking about trying this stuff in warm water, letting someone else know your intentions, etc.
Derikthin

PostPosted: Thu Jun 16, 2016 5:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I smelled what you were stepping in Scargo.
tm00

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 5:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think Andy and company teach the "how to do" self-rescue at the ABK camps.

It would be great if you did get to one of these camps. It will shorten your learning curve.
rswabsin

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is some good on-line instruction for self rescue with pictures on Dave Calema's website. If nothing else, he shows you how to go through the exercise of self rescue on land.

http://www.calema.com/forums/

Under the forums tab, scroll down to "Online Instruction" and click on "Advanced Self Rescue"

Rob
scargo

PostPosted: Fri Jun 17, 2016 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This thread, which has obviously wandered from the original subject, is a reminder of some things I should be doing more of. For example, sometime when it's blowing 10-13, instead of rolling the dice by rigging my 8.5 or 9.5 with fat board, I should go out with a 4.7 and sinker. Practice uphauling, light-wind waterstarts, slogging, sail handling, etc. That would undoubtedly do more for my skill set.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Eastern and Central USA & Canada All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: