myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
I want to get in to windsurfing but am feeling overwhelmed
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
beaglebuddy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey folks, 5 to 10 MPH! Nobody will ever plane on anything in 5 to 10 MPH. Maybe If a person weighed 100 lbs and was an expert with specialized gear perhaps they might get going momentarily during a 10 MPH gust. This is strictly no planing windsurfing, a long skinny board to cut thru the water instead of plane, a sail with the fewest number of battens or preferably none. Those wide beginner boards will plow thru the water and be absurdly slow.
beaglebuddy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Find an old sail like this for 5 to 10 MPH, http://www.hotsailsmaui.com/blog/2012/09/summerfreak-a-classic-re-invented/
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When purchasing used, used any thing it's best to have a option or several in mind.
If you look just for a 180liter starter board, it restricts the options.
New gear purchase is a different chapter.

Aside from what said opinions are a 7.4m sail is too large to learn.

OP

Make a few phone calls to dealers and ask what they suggest for size...
At this point, it's a mute point, since this was sold.
But when you go to purchase , IMO , IT MAKES MORE SENSE to learn on a RX 5.5( which you can keep as a higher wind sail) then go larger as needed.

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
DelCarpenter

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think a Kona One is the best answer. I believe Fleet-8 is still giving lessons on Lake Calhoun in Minneapolis on Kona One boards (fleet-8@juno.com). They might have used sets for sale. The Kona One is 28 inches wide, 11 ft 8 inches long, has a volume of 220 liters, & was designed as an all-around board suitable for all adult beginners as well as intermediate performers and is raced internationally. I have two. (Fleet-8 has a Kona race scheduled for late September on Lake Mille Lacs, Garrison MN. Two or three of the top five places will be won by racers weighing over 200 if this year is like several previous years. Some will be planing with 9.0 sails in wiinds near 20 mph.)

New ones can be purchased through Wind Power Windsurfing in Fond du Lac WI (http://www.windpowerwindsurfing.com). They provide lessons for a fee. They also rent equipment. They are located on Lake Winnebago. They always have both new and used boards for sale, sometimes including Konas.

Beginning with shorter, wider, beginner boards is also good. The larger sails required for planing are easier to handle with wide boards. When/if you move on to narrower boards, you'll want to keep the beginner board for planing on those spring and fall days when the upper midwest gets its best wind and you want to stay dry because the water is cold.

Watch out for old rubber universal joints that look good but are old enough the rubber will tear apart right away. Two of the used windsurfing packages I bought last year included both good and bad rubber universal joints.

Look around the country for used stuff, just the looking and comparing what is offered could help you when you do find stuff that is close enough.
acalhounguy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been on here as rangerider but can't figure out how to log in under that name, it's been awhile since I logged in so I used a new name associated with my current email. rangerider might be linked to my wife's email account. I wanted to comment to help the OP with the board purchase.

I learned with a 4.5 sail but I weighed 175 at that time. At 210 I'd want at least a 6.0 to start personally but I can't argue with the logic of using a smaller sail. At least a 5.5 will still be of some value on a particularly high-wind day by local standards.

My modern sails are 6.4, 7.5, 8.1 (older and not used much), 9.5, and 12.0M (not recommended). I need a 5.7 and then I should be good for conditions here that I'd actually want to be out in - and a 105-110L FSW board.

My buddy (around 200lbs) bought a Kona One and basically taught himself to windsurf up to the point of harness and footstraps, then jumped to an RRD firemove 130 which covers a huge range in conditions here.

My 150lb son is learning with a longboard and a 6.4 but a 5.5 would be better - I don't own one.
DelCarpenter

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

People who live in Fargo but travel to Minneapolis/St. Paul or vice versa could provide a shipping solution especially for sails, booms, & two piece masts. Teachers working on master's degrees in summer school & regular college students are two possibilities.
zedoomeloo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

acalhounguy wrote:
where do you windsurf? I have been through this with myself and friends here in Minnesota. Your best bet, as others have said, is to get a longboard. Kona one would be great, or a WindSup - I have the Exocet. Used is fine.

Then get something in the 7.5M range for a sail and you will be set for most days in Minnesota.

A used longboard is fine but ideally something with enough width.

We had two awesome sailing days Sunday and Monday. We had 5.5 - 6.5 weather on Sunday with gusts to 30+ so it isn't all low-wind.

Get started with a longboard and then when you have gotten planing and harness and footstraps down you can get a short board for windy days.

I weigh about 180 and I am out on a 120L Gecko on any day with decent wind - usually 1-2 days a week this time of year. On lighter days I go out with a 147L Ultrasonic and 9.5 to 12.0 M sail.

I live in Fargo but my mom just sold her place and bought a lake lot near Brandon. I also have a friend out on a lake in Underwood.
zedoomeloo

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

acalhounguy wrote:

My buddy (around 200lbs) bought a Kona One and basically taught himself to windsurf up to the point of harness and footstraps, then jumped to an RRD firemove 130 which covers a huge range in conditions here.

Any chance your buddy might be looking to sell his Kona One?
d0uglass

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was talking about the Tiga with my "price is right" comment, and being a good board to cruise around a lake on.

I agree with others that Kona ONE is a near-perfect all-around board that you can learn on and use in all conditions.

acalhounguy

PostPosted: Thu Jun 23, 2016 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My buddy may be interested in selling his Kona One - he's in Minneapolis- PM me your contact info. Thanks.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: