myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
I want to get in to windsurfing but am feeling overwhelmed
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zedoomeloo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alright, this is all very good to know. Thanks!
gvogelsang

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

U2U2U2 wrote:
Nicotine wrote:
https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/ram/spo/5645108388.html

The board would do, sails are much too large.

The OP has some windsurfing experience from when he was a teenager. It would depend upon his athletic ability, but at 6'1" and 210 lbs, I see no reason why a 7.5 meter sail would not be fine on such a wide board, in 5 - 10 mph wind. And with any amount of athleticism, the larger sail might be fine after learning.

It really comes down to his determination. Some of us were determined to learn on original windsurfers with baggy sails and teak booms.

I vote for the package!
zedoomeloo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

gvogelsang wrote:
U2U2U2 wrote:
Nicotine wrote:
https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/ram/spo/5645108388.html

The board would do, sails are much too large.

And with any amount of athleticism, the larger sail might be fine after learning.

I vote for the package!

I have any amount of athleticism! I am in pretty average shape (for 27 with a desk job) and have decent balance (my opinions). I expect to become fatigued the first few times before I build a little stamina and I don't mind struggling as long as my work pays off.
d0uglass

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

zedoomeloo wrote:
Ok, it is nice to know that board is what I'm looking for. Will I be able to plane with a board like that in 10 mph winds at 210 lbs?

What do you think of this board? https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/wsh/spo/5642117600.html

Is it too narrow?

Thanks!

The price is right on that package, and it will work well in a lake. Yes, it will be tippy because it's narrow, but it will float well, glide well, and go upwind well with the daggerboard. The deck will be slippery so you will have to wear booties.

No it won't plane for you in 10 mph, but it will glide pretty fast. Basically it's impossible to plane in 10 mph unless you have years of experience and expensive oversized gear. For now, focus on gliding.

It's a good lake board.

zedoomeloo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So the Starboard Rio sold before I would have even had the 4 hours time to drive and look at it, but I feel like I'm starting to get a better idea of what I'll be needing.

Last edited by zedoomeloo on Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
zedoomeloo

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 12:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

d0uglass wrote:
zedoomeloo wrote:
Ok, it is nice to know that board is what I'm looking for. Will I be able to plane with a board like that in 10 mph winds at 210 lbs?

What do you think of this board? https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/wsh/spo/5642117600.html

Is it too narrow?

Thanks!

The price is right on that package, and it will work well in a lake. Yes, it will be tippy because it's narrow, but it will float well, glide well, and go upwind well with the daggerboard. The deck will be slippery so you will have to wear booties.

No it won't plane for you in 10 mph, but it will glide pretty fast. Basically it's impossible to plane in 10 mph unless you have years of experience and expensive oversized gear. For now, focus on gliding.

It's a good lake board.

Okay, so to be clear, you were talking about the price being right on the Starboard Rio package? And the rest of your post was about the Tiga board?
acalhounguy

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

where do you windsurf? I have been through this with myself and friends here in Minnesota. Your best bet, as others have said, is to get a longboard. Kona one would be great, or a WindSup - I have the Exocet. Used is fine.

Then get something in the 7.5M range for a sail and you will be set for most days in Minnesota.

A used longboard is fine but ideally something with enough width.

We had two awesome sailing days Sunday and Monday. We had 5.5 - 6.5 weather on Sunday with gusts to 30+ so it isn't all low-wind.

Get started with a longboard and then when you have gotten planing and harness and footstraps down you can get a short board for windy days.

I weigh about 180 and I am out on a 120L Gecko on any day with decent wind - usually 1-2 days a week this time of year. On lighter days I go out with a 147L Ultrasonic and 9.5 to 12.0 M sail.
gvogelsang

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

zedoomeloo wrote:
So the Starboard Rio sold before I would have even had the 4 hours time to drive and look at it, but I feel like I'm starting to get a better idea of what I'll be needing.

That is a shame, because the 7.5 sail and the Rio would have been a nice package.

I wouldn't go near the Tiga. It would be narrow and tippy; parts would be difficult to find to replace broken ones. You could do a lot better.
gvogelsang

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

acalhounguy wrote:
where do you windsurf? I have been through this with myself and friends here in Minnesota. Your best bet, as others have said, is to get a longboard. Kona one would be great, or a WindSup - I have the Exocet. Used is fine.

Then get something in the 7.5M range for a sail and you will be set for most days in Minnesota.

We had two awesome sailing days Sunday and Monday. We had 5.5 - 6.5 weather on Sunday with gusts to 30+ so it isn't all low-wind.

Get started with a longboard and then when you have gotten planing and harness and footstraps down you can get a short board for windy days.

I weigh about 180 and I am out on a 120L Gecko on any day with decent wind - usually 1-2 days a week this time of year. On lighter days I go out with a 147L Ultrasonic and 9.5 to 12.0 M sail.

I weigh 205, and that pretty much characterizes the two boards that I used last year - and old Formula board (85 cm wide) which would work much like your Ultrasonic, and a Firemove 122. I used sails from an 8.5 Pryde V8, to Ezzy Lion 7.5 or Zephyr, to Cheetah 6.5. I used a Cheetah 5.5 once. I sail Lake Erie. Others sail with smaller equipment.

I am actually considering a Kona or Kona Carbone to increase my time on the water.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Wed Jun 22, 2016 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

acalhounguy wrote:

Curious you joined in 2003... And have ONE POST...?

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: