myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Waist Harness - How do you keep yours at belly button?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
manuel

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 3:30 pm    Post subject: Waist Harness - How do you keep yours at belly button? Reply with quote

I'm quite skinny at 150lbs and 30-31" waist. I have been using the Dakine ThermoForm in Medium and their T3 in Large. I always liked the Large for the extra back support and more comfort.

However I cannot get either one to stay at belly button level. They always creep up just right above it as opposed to stay below the ribs. And these couple of inches or so above belly button makes me use my back more than my lower waist/higher hips. I lose drive and overall performance.

I tried riding them loose, tight (both straps and bar), crossing the belts over, etc. Riding them loose, like way loose and low, kinda worked but I lacked connection and reactivity with my rig, also it takes longer to unhook and the height was hard to fine tune.

My harness doesn't ride up when I'm sailing, it rides up when I'm in the water moving around because the waist thinnest point is a couple of inches above belly button.

In this picture (not me), you can see the hook is spot on at belly button level, there's near zero slack in the hook. This is where I'd like my harness to stay. Wearing a rash guard or wetsuit under it doesn't hurt but doesn't help either.

isobars

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've never understood the fascination with waist harnesses, largely because of your question. Seat/butt harnesses keep the hook right where I want it, and are comfortable all day. I MIGHT take mine off if I fix and eat an elaborate meal sometime between breakfast and dusk or the wind takes a major break ... maybe even just for the hell of it now that I can no longer sail all day (because I'm getting OLD). It doesn't need to be tight, in fact feels more comfortable if slightly slack. I don't even use velcro Power Belt harnesses because they interfere with deep belly breathing, so when I'm hooked in, there's ZERO pressure on my belly.

We have only two means of keeping a harness down while in the water: crotch straps or an interference fit with our torso. I NEVER notice the former because the straps pull only on my legs if fitted properly, and ALWAYS notice the latter because it impairs deep breathing.

That's how *I* keep *my* hook at my belly button.

Under sail hooked in, we have to add a third means of keeping the harness down: trying to keep the pull in the plane of our waist rather than upwards. Well I don't always wannna hafta do that, especially throughout a day of sailing.
manuel

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really don't want to go into a seat/waist war deal. I rode a seat for years and I feel like it locks the pelvis too much restricting stance adjustment range. When riding my waist harness low I reached a point where it was too low (similar to a seat), I felt a loss in adjustment range for both the sail and the board trim making me not as effective.

I'm more interested to hear from people of my same size who have tried different models. It looks like the Mystic or ION models may work better?

I really like the sliding bar, I can go for deeper angles without as much risk to get catapulted downwind and maintain better planing while going upwind. In our spot, it matters a lot. However, I could manage to rotate the harness a little around my waist to mimic this behavior if it's possible.

Xxwindsurfer

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On a similar note, I have no problem with the harness itself riding up but am endlessly frustrated with the spreader bar getting stuck above the elastic Velcro waist band when the bar is pulled tight but if the spreader bar is loose it flops down and becomes difficult to unhook in a hurry.I can find myself pulled into and landing on the sail. I am afraid I could damage the sail.
How is this managed?
swchandler

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 6:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

manual, it's a bit interesting that you picked a photo of a slalom racer in outboard straps with a sizable race sail. It's my thought that you're more the wave sailor these days. Still though, the racer in the photo looks totally dialed in holding down a lot of sail power.

Regarding your dilemma, many folks can be the victim of the standard body type. In fashion and sports, sometimes it's hard finding clothes and equipment that will always fit and feel the way they want.

I know that I might be pushing the envelope a bit, but have you ever thought about a custom modification taking the waist harness you like best and adding simple strap arrangement like a seat harness so that you can control how high the harness can ride up?
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 7:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My hook is held up by a loop in my torso armor designed for that purpose and down by my crotch straps. i.e., it stays put. That's REALLY nice when I am hooking in and out on the spur of the moment.

What's that you say? You don't wear torso armor? Shocked

Neither did Rusty, but he may start ... next year. This season is probably over for him since his waist harness dug into his ribcage and tore some cartilage in a foot-first water entry.

Many of my pieces of armor, whether for snowmobiling, WSing, or dirt biking, were added AFTER an injury. I just wasn't smart enough to add them before hurting myself, and some of those foreseeable injuries cost me TOW and even TIH ... time in hospital.

As for sliding hooks ... they are as personal as most other gear, styles, and techniques. Some love 'em, others hate 'em. Even after 36 years, I'm still tweaking my harness line length and swing in search of optimal performance ... for me.
dllee

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simple.
When hooked in, the harness lines come off your body at 90 degrees, so it stays in place. Adjust to make it so.
In your case, probably longer lines are needed so your body is out away from your sail, giving you the 90 degree angle, like your picture shows.
Obviously, lower booms would do the same, or straighten your legs to get taller when hooked in.
isobars

PostPosted: Sat Jun 25, 2016 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He said, "My harness doesn't ride up when I'm sailing, it rides up when I'm in the water moving around".
jingebritsen

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 2:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

solution to this is a narrower spreader bar, or a seat. I use a seat in waves and have ZERO problem with movement
http://www.epicgearusa.com/
manuel

PostPosted: Sun Jun 26, 2016 3:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xxwindsurfer wrote:
On a similar note, I have no problem with the harness itself riding up but am endlessly frustrated with the spreader bar getting stuck above the elastic Velcro waist band when the bar is pulled tight but if the spreader bar is loose it flops down and becomes difficult to unhook in a hurry.I can find myself pulled into and landing on the sail. I am afraid I could damage the sail.
How is this managed?

If I read you right, I did have the same issue when the bar wasn't tight enough. The bar's strap shouldn't stretch out to make it possible to pull over the elastic belts. On some models there's a stitched piece of strap on the power belt making it possible to slide the bar's strap inside. This works at keeping the bar in front but shouldn't be needed.

swchandler wrote:
manual, it's a bit interesting that you picked a photo of a slalom racer in outboard straps with a sizable race sail.

Nice that you commented on that, reason is, was to show that this is relevant to other domains as well. Wave sailors are known for doing this (riding low waists, especially Maui Boys) but with increasing waists in slalom it's even more important for them.

swchandler wrote:
I know that I might be pushing the envelope a bit, but have you ever thought about a custom modification taking the waist harness you like best and adding simple strap arrangement like a seat harness so that you can control how high the harness can ride up?

I did but it wouldn't work. If I sit down, do a backside hit, swim around, the tension makes it settle up, maybe even Medium is too large?

isobars wrote:
Even after 36 years, I'm still tweaking my harness line length and swing in search of optimal performance ... for me.

Ever evolving sport, love it!

Additional note I'm 5'8" use 32" lines and boom just about below shoulder height.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: