myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Looking to spice things up
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rgomez

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 6:09 am    Post subject: Looking to spice things up Reply with quote

I've been feeling a bit bored Ws lately. Sure I've been practicing my carve gybes and perfecting my water start but things have gotten a bit mundane and cumbersome.

I've been wondering if I should try learning Kitesurfing or stand-up paddleboarding to spice things up but neither are suitable for my home spot but will help while traveling. I've also been trying to get my hands on a 100l board to vary it up a bit.

Any suggestions?
SupSURFmachines3716

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 8:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Start flying on a windfoil
rgomez

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 10:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's not a bad idea...can also look to start windsurfing at a few choppier spots...flat water riding up and down can add to the boredom
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Windsurfing is a adventure. Take the ride. Sounds like your in a lite wind location on big gear. Take a vacation to a windsurfing destination. Go during the windy season. So many places to go and see. Learn to ride the waves. How about some freestyle? Even at your home spot you can learn new things. Everything you learn in lite wind windsurfing applies to high wind windsurfing. I did a bit of kite boarding. To me it got boring pretty fast.
The sup thing is a nice alternative for no wind days. It gets old pretty quick unless you have waves to ride. If you really want a thrill a challenge and a life time adventure story, take a trip with Solo Sports at San Carlos. You can windsurf at a world class wave spot, surf and SUP before the wind comes up and if you must, even kite...Its money well spent... I like most here have been doing this for a very long time. I never get bored windsurfing. If there is a breeze I go out and enjoy what the wind God's offer for that day. Windsurfing is a gift in all its forms.....
DelCarpenter

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 5:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Possibilities for rgomez that I personally use:
Do more sightseeing by staying close to shore watching people or wildlife.
Time yourself with a watch, using landmarks to race against your past session.
Use different launch points.
Land sail on a mountain board or skateboard on parking lots.
Count fishermen or sailboats or bird varieties.
Use a different board, sail, fin, boom, mast combination; think about the result.
dllee

PostPosted: Wed Jul 06, 2016 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Be the fastest on the water.
Jump the highest of anyone on the water.
You can plane from 13 mph on up.
Windsurf like Dale Cook, you won't get bored.
rswabsin

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think one of the best and simplest things you can do to add variety is try a few new windsurfing spots as you already suggested that can add some more challenge and maybe new scenery. Consider a road trip to one of the better sailing locations (Hatteras, Gorge, South Padre Island) and often times you'll repeat that trip in the coming years making it somewhat of a tradition that you look forward to each season.

Rob
isobars

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 7:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Push your envelope. Life is never boring when you're near and occasionally beyond your skill and/or confidence limits.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For sale the worlds best 100 liter...blessed by the Queen. Lol

I 2yo got a SUP, I never intended to paddle, have done once and it hurt my shoulder. I intended to WindSup and installed a mast track . It's small for most 9'6". What has occurred is I use it when the wind is too light that it's painful to slog on a 135l Tabou Rocket.

My conclusion is it gets me on the water, for recreation when otherwise I would be on the beach. The platform is stable enough to practice things, if not quite like lite wind sailing on the Rocket, it's way easier. I use sails from 6.0 to a 4.2
It doesn't really plane so size sail is minimal.

Mentally it's nice in that respect, no pressure to try and plane or go fast.

Their are more than 1 way to make a cake...
I actually do have a 96liter Naish for sell, Hybrid Wave.
$175.. Ship to most of US 100.

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
scargo

PostPosted: Thu Jul 07, 2016 9:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wondering why SUP is not suitable for your home spot, but windsurfing is.

I've gotten to where I quite enjoy SUPing. You have to get yourself into a different mindset, because there's nothing thrilling about it, at least on flatwater. But if you take some time to learn the proper techniques (there are some good videos on youtube), and then really push yourself over several miles, it's a great workout that activates both slow- and fast-twitch muscles throughout most of the body.

Whenever people ask me whether it's a good workout, I ask: "Is biking a good workout?" Obviously, there's a huge difference between cruising at 5MPH on a boardwalk vs. getting after it on a mountain. With SUP, most people passively tool around, which is indeed relaxing, but if you really push yourself (preferably on a displacement-type SUP0, it becomes a different sport entirely.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: