myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
The 12 Step Jibe by Dasher
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mamero

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 1:33 pm    Post subject: The 12 Step Jibe by Dasher Reply with quote

Does anyone have or know where I can find a digital version of "The 12 Step Jibe by Dasher"? There used to be a digital version available years ago but I've looked everywhere and can't find it. Thanks.
coachg

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.sideoff.com/videos/inst_wsurf/12_step_jibe.html

Don't know about the digital version but should be easy to make one from this

Coachg
dllee

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wierd.....
I can jibe 100 %, and easy 70% planing out, since 1985.
I watched that vid 4 year's ago, Aruba, and I couldn't figure out how to jibe whatsoever, if I needed to think thru all the complicated steps.
Totally confusing, but lots of good stuff, maybe for me, at the wrong moments.
Was something g/f wanted to watch, new to shortboarding then.
So, like AndyBrandt's advice, I totally disregarded it and sail as well now as I did then.
I can't tell anyone how to jibe well, but everyone who's seen me sail will say I can jibe as well as anyone anywhere.
boardsurfr

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 11:08 am    Post subject: Re: The 12 Step Jibe by Dasher Reply with quote

mamero wrote:
Does anyone have or know where I can find a digital version of "The 12 Step Jibe by Dasher"?

I don't know about a digital version, but if you can find the DVD, it's straightforward to create a digital version of it. You can probably get the DVD from several windsurf shops through mail order.

zirtaeb wrote:
Wierd.....
I can jibe 100 %, and easy 70% planing out, since 1985.
I watched that vid 4 year's ago, Aruba, and I couldn't figure out how to jibe whatsoever, if I needed to think thru all the complicated steps.
Totally confusing, but lots of good stuff, maybe for me, at the wrong moments.
Was something g/f wanted to watch, new to shortboarding then.
So, like AndyBrandt's advice, I totally disregarded it and sail as well now as I did then.

There are many, many ways to jibe, even without going into trick jibes. The way most professional instructors teach the jibe has changed a lot since the mid-80s. Back then, the sail-first jibe was preferred; now, the step jibe is usually taught. One reason is that the equipment has changed quite a lot since then. Experienced teachers have come to the conclusion that the step jibe is the fastest way to success for most (but not necessarily all) learners.
That does not necessarily make it the best jibe for everyone. The guy who planes out of his jibes most consistently at out home spot does a sail-first jibe. That's based not just on what I see on the water, but also on GPS tracks. A bit unusual is that he is on large slalom gear, where most high level windsurfers prefer step jibes. But it works for him (or you), so why change it?
PeconicPuffin

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: The 12 Step Jibe by Dasher Reply with quote

mamero wrote:
Does anyone have or know where I can find a digital version of "The 12 Step Jibe by Dasher"? There used to be a digital version available years ago but I've looked everywhere and can't find it. Thanks.

If you can't find it digitally pick up the DVD and either rip it or play it in a machine. It's an excellent video, well worth watching many times.

I'm biased, having been taught to jibe by Dasher, so I know the technique works.

scargo

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right. I bought the DVD, and it was the best $30 I ever spent. It's one of those videos you need to watch 100 times, then forget you watched it.

To elaborate: the knock on the video is that it's overly technical, and that by breaking the jibe up into so many steps, it only confuses people and causes them to overthink things. But I'd counter that it lays the proper analytical framework, so that you can figure out exactly where you're having problems.
windward1

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some addicts have trouble getting through the 12 step program. Some just go for the Throw-Throw-Grab&Go! method.

That is:

* Throw away the alcohol.
* Throw away the pills.
* Grab on to life!
* Go do it!
marc5

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can find the Dasher jibing videos on youtube, but they are dubbed in Greek! I thought the last time I watched them there were English subtitles, but maybe I imagined it. Even if you don't speak Greek, you can learn a lot just by watching.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WhA0xG724i8&index=3&list=PLoFvmRTfCHkbW4fgCHl1AlbavVxk_vPT3

It's all Greek to me Very Happy
mamero

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

coachg wrote:
http://www.sideoff.com/videos/inst_wsurf/12_step_jibe.html

Don't know about the digital version but should be easy to make one from this

Coachg

Thanks for the link. I came across that sight too but was hoping to find the digital version. It used to be available for download through a site that eventually got bought out by Amazon. Now it's no longer available on Amazon in any format that I can see.

I don't need the DVD. It's just going to end up on my iPad. I was hoping to save some money, time, and conversion work if the digital version was still floating around somewhere.
mamero

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 12:51 pm    Post subject: Re: The 12 Step Jibe by Dasher Reply with quote

PeconicPuffin wrote:

I'm biased, having been taught to jibe by Dasher, so I know the technique works.

A good endorsement!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: