myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Hypersonic - Fin Recommendations
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mamero

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 1:49 pm    Post subject: Hypersonic - Fin Recommendations Reply with quote

I recently bought a 2003 Starboard Hypersonic 125L. This board originally shipped with two fins. A Drake Race 34 and Drake Race 44. Mine only came with the smaller Drake Race 34.

Could someone kindly recommend an adequate replacement for the original Drake Race 44? Even better, does anyone have a Drake Race 44 they no longer need?

My last session I sailed the board for the first time with a 7.5 in light wind. This is a big sail for me (I'm 140lbs) and I struggled to keep the Hypersonic in a straight line. No matter how I adjust my stance or adjusted the mast foot the board kept wanting to turn upwind. I think the larger fin would have helped.

Thanks for the feedback

This is the original fin I am referring to:

http://www.iwindsurf.com/forums/files/drake440_115.jpg
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Drake racing , Tuttle ,it's from a Starboard Formula.
It's 54cm however.

The Hypersonic , was made ..I think only a few years, I had a 105.

It may have been ahead of its time, it's more than a little odd.

I'm in Colorado, pm if interested.

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
dllee

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Might be a 122, like we have in Puerto Rico.
All around sailing, track back, 42 fin, 5.9 sail seems balanced and easy.
We tried lots of smaller fins, down to 32, because of the deep double concaves, but a bigger fins keeps it straight, doesn't spin out when pushing upwind or underpowered, and doesn't hurt speed too much.
It's a dog slow board, like I said in 2004 on Starboard Forums, but can keep up with beginner shortboarder's on modern freeride kit.
wynsurfer

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 5:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would not get too hung up on finding an original Drake fin. There are lots of other fins that will work as well if not better than the original fins. I hated the Drake fins that came with my Starboard Combat. Replaced all with True Ames and was happy.
pete1111

PostPosted: Mon Jul 11, 2016 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Hypersonic - Fin Recommendations Reply with quote

I have 2 42cm slalom fins for sale. Let me know if you are interested.

mamero wrote:
I recently bought a 2003 Starboard Hypersonic 125L. This board originally shipped with two fins. A Drake Race 34 and Drake Race 44. Mine only came with the smaller Drake Race 34.

Could someone kindly recommend an adequate replacement for the original Drake Race 44? Even better, does anyone have a Drake Race 44 they no longer need?

My last session I sailed the board for the first time with a 7.5 in light wind. This is a big sail for me (I'm 140lbs) and I struggled to keep the Hypersonic in a straight line. No matter how I adjust my stance or adjusted the mast foot the board kept wanting to turn upwind. I think the larger fin would have helped.

Thanks for the feedback

This is the original fin I am referring to:

http://www.iwindsurf.com/forums/files/drake440_115.jpg
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had that board and most that Starboard made. Don't waste any of your hard earned cash on a Drake fin. I think they are junk. I stopped even trying to make them work. As soon as I got a new board, I replaced the stock fin with a MFC fin. As mentioned the Hypersonic is a strange board. I could never get it to sail comfortably. It wants to stick to the water and head up wind no matter what I did. It just wouldn't ride free. At the time I had it, I had over 20 years of windsurfing skills. I felt like I knew what worked and what didn't. This board never worked for me or my friends that had one. I hope you can find the key to this board. We never could
wynsurfer

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Agree with NOVAAN 100% about the fins and the board. The hypersonics were dogs.
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Tue Jul 12, 2016 5:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

At your size and a 7.5 sail you should never need a board like that. I'm sure you don't want to hear this but a newer freeride board like the 115 Tabou Rocket or even as big as the 125 will smoke that board and be much easier to sail and have fun on. A lot of people will tell you to try the new super size wide boards. I had the Stardboard Atom IQ 110. It was way better than the Hypersonic in every way. The fin still sucked. But a smaller person with a bit of windsurfing skills does not need to go that wide. As the wind picks up the wide boards become difficult to control compared to a standard freeride board of the same volume. Big guys can hold then down longer. They do get going a bit quicker but at your size that should not be an issue...
techno900

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They made a 105 and 133. I once sailed the 105 with a 9.2 sail and it was strange and felt like I stepped on to an ice rink. I had no issues keeping in on a steady beam reach.

A good friend has been through two 133's and uses a 7.5 - 11.0 on that board. He gets more planing time on one board than anyone on the lake, but he is a big guy about 190 lbs.

A bigger fin on the 105 will make it want to point more upwind. While I agree that Drake fins can be bad news, on the Hypersonic, I am not so sure with the radical bottom design.

Those boards carry BIG sails. I am not sure what the recommended range for the 105, but I would guess 6.5 to 9.0.

The first time I got on a Formula board, it only wanted to go upwind. It just takes practice to get used to the feeling and learn how to steer it where you want it to go.
joethewindsufa

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

seems people LOVE or HATE these boards
however, those that do LOVE it seem to agree that it is NOT fin specific
ie NO need to get the Drake - whether they be good or not ...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: