myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Hypersonic - Fin Recommendations
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Arrgh

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 8:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And here it is: http://2003.star-board.com/products/hyper125_info.asp

image.gif
 Description:
 Filesize:  33.17 KB
 Viewed:  14756 Time(s)

image.gif

techno900

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 10:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I stand corrected, there is a 125, I just hadn't seen one. Nevertheless, my previous comments should still apply.

I would add that the smaller 34cm fin should be ample for your 7.5. The board is designed for sails up to 9.9m, which is where the larger fin would apply. But something no larger than 40 cm should be OK. The larger the fin, the more the board will want to head upwind.
mamero

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 12:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for the feedback.

I actually own two 2003 Hypersonics. 105 and 125. The 125 was my wife’s first small board. She took to it so quickly and liked it so much that when a 105 Hypersonic magically showed up on Craigslist I bought it to be her high wind board. We both are progressing and are at the water starting stage. She adapted to the 105 very quickly so now the 125 is available and I am trying to get the feel of it. Both the 105 and 125 only came with the smaller fin. I’ve only sailed the 125 two sessions myself. The first time was a little more windy and I was on a 5.8. I liked it a lot. Fast and quick to plain although twitchy. The next session wind was light and I needed the 7.5. This time I did NOT like it at all. I switched to my 2004 Carve 121 and controllabillity improved. The Carve is narrower and longer than the Hypersonic. It also has a slightly bigger fin with a different shape.

I talked to a local windsurfer and he loved his Hypersonic. He used to own one and regrets selling it. I guess they were a pretty radical concept and maybe ahead of their time? Only available for 2003 and 2004.

The specified sail range for the Hypersonics are pretty amazing. They can support huge sails compared to other boards of similar size. I’m curious at what size and conditions it would be wise to switch from the smaller to larger fin.

Would a freeride fin like the one used on the Carve be a better choice for the Hypersonic?

Side note. I just bought a Starboard 2014 Kode FSW Carbon 94L for my first high wind, sub 100 board. Looking forward to giving this a go but waiting for weather to cooperate. Should be "interesting" to sail this the first time.
mamero

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="techno900"The larger the fin, the more the board will want to head upwind.[/quote]

Really? Good to know. I'm just begging to delve into the world of fins. Much to learn.

So if that's the case then perhaps I shouldn't need the larger fin with my 7.5 at all? Like I said, the board just kept wanting to point upwind. I sailing across the water at an angle with the fin leeward. It was driving me nuts! I though perhaps it was my stance and maybe too much pressure on the rear foot. However, no matter how I tried to compensate it didn't want to cooperate. Maybe it comes down to more practice on this board.

Last edited by mamero on Wed Jul 13, 2016 1:01 pm; edited 1 time in total
swchandler

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mamero, you might want to focus on sail/mast positioning in getting the Hypersonic to bear off. Also, I would recommend experimenting a bit with your boom height and harness line positioning. If your boom is too low, and your harness lines are placed too far forward, you're going to find it hard to bear off.
mamero

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

swchandler wrote:
mamero, you might want to focus on sail/mast positioning in getting the Hypersonic to bear off. Also, I would recommend experimenting a bit with your boom height and harness line positioning. If your boom is too low, and your harness lines are placed too far forward, you're going to find it hard to bear off.

Thanks for the tips.

Usually I sail with the boom at shoulder height. When rigging I set the boom to fit snug in my arm pit when standing beside the mast. Once the sail is on the board, attached to the u-joint and base plate, it is usually at the right height, about shoulder height. I then adjust 1-2 cm up or down from there if needed.

Harness lines seemed to be ok but I could be wrong. They are always moving with the wind conditions. When I switched boards over to the 121 Carve the 7.5 sail felt more balanced. It was certainly easier to take one hand off the boom when sailing the Carve 121 than the Hypersonic 125.

Maybe the base plate was in the wrong spot?
techno900

PostPosted: Wed Jul 13, 2016 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might try "hanging in the harness", which is necessary for Formula. This keeps the downward force on the mast foot, which helps keep the forces on the board balanced and will help drive the board off the wind. Too much weight on your feet will cause the board to head up.
cgoudie1

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 11:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To the OP, listen to what Techno is telling you here. I owned one of the
large hypersonics though my recollection is it was a 133 ltr, and my
experience was much like yours, I just could not get the thing to
go downwind, until I realized it was an awfully lot like a formula board,
and needed serious MFP to bear off. that works pretty well.
I never liked the feel of a formula board, so I sold the thing,
(in Hood River), and it sold really quickly. For a certain type of rider,
I think these boards were magic. Mine would carry an 8.5 no problem
despite how short it was.

-Craig

techno900 wrote:
You might try "hanging in the harness", which is necessary for Formula. This keeps the downward force on the mast foot, which helps keep the forces on the board balanced and will help drive the board off the wind. Too much weight on your feet will cause the board to head up.
Arrgh

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did I miss something? Have you not tried the Carve's fin in the Hypersonic? Certainly nothing to lose and perhaps some insight to gain. (You will need longer screws.)
NOVAAN

PostPosted: Thu Jul 14, 2016 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why ride the hyper when you can have way more fun on the Carve?????
Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to: