myiW Current Conditions and Forecasts Community Forums Buy and Sell Services

Hi guest · myAccount · Log in
 SearchSearch   ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   RegisterRegister 
Black glass fiber?
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
boardsurfr

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 9:39 am    Post subject: Black glass fiber? Reply with quote

Maybe someone can provide insight into something that's been puzzling me ever since I repaired the nose on my Fanatic Skate 110 from 2010. The board is the "standard", not the Team Edition. According to the 2010 Fanatic brochure, the standard Skates were bias glass; only the Team Edition was carbon. But the stuff I found under the paint was black, and looked like carbon to me, not like glass. Or is there something like black glass fiber?

When the Skate from 2010 started dying of old age and lots of use, I bought another Skate 110, this one the BGS construction from 2015. The shape looks (almost?) the same, but the 2015 board does not jump up on a plane quite as quickly, and does not feel as direct in chop. In direct comparison, the 2010 version feels much more like a slalom board.

What's going on here? Did Fanatic sell carbon boards as BGS boards in 2010? Based on the color scheme (white-orange) and the footstrap inserts (inboard and outboard options), my old Skate is definitely the standard (the TE was white-purple, and had only inboard footstrap plugs).

Skate 110 2010 - glass or carbon.jpg
 Description:
Black glass fiber or carbon?
 Filesize:  99.65 KB
 Viewed:  16114 Time(s)

Skate 110 2010 - glass or carbon.jpg

dllee

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 12:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks more like black primer or sealer to me, rather than actual carbon fibers.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The area you repaired ..is that the rust color mostly square ?
What is the small gold area.. Was it like that?

When I first looked at the black stuff, I did not think it was carbon, I looked at a board I completed in April that has carbon exposed, it's similar.
There are different weaves of carbon.
How it got there, which if I understand you, it's not supposed to be..?

A. Someone made a mistake, lucky you.
B. They add carbon to the nose always, lucky you.

I think it's carbon.
C. Ask the Fanatic forum experts.
D. Could be the sealer mentioned above ..and sanded to revel the glass under.

http://www.k4fins.com/fins.html
http://4boards.co.uk/
wsurfn1426

PostPosted: Sat Jul 16, 2016 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Looks like just a carbon reinforcement patch for the nose of the board to me.
boardsurfr

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

U2U2U2 wrote:
The area you repaired ..is that the rust color mostly square ?
What is the small gold area.. Was it like that?

The rust colored area is my repair. The small gold area is from another nose repair that someone else did.

U2U2U2 wrote:
How it got there, which if I understand you, it's not supposed to be..?

A. Someone made a mistake, lucky you.
B. They add carbon to the nose always, lucky you.

The brochure describes the construction in quite some detail, but mentions only BGS, not carbon. If they had a special reinforcement for the nose, I'd think they'd mention it, too. Not sure how much sense a carbon reinforcement of the nose would make. Carbon is lighter and has much better stiffness, but the impact resistance is not better than for glass, and possibly worse.

U2U2U2 wrote:
D. Could be the sealer mentioned above ..and sanded to revel the glass under.

Could be sealer, but it sanded as a pretty uniform grey dust. The fibers were dark, I never saw anything white. With black sealer, I would have expected to see something that looks like glass fiber when sanding it down. If it's something in this direction, I think they would have had to add the dye to the epoxy. Maybe they did so that the design would be similar to the Pro model, with gray/black shining through under the paint at spots. It's also dark under the top paint over the entire length of the board, at least at all the spots where the paint has been scraped off over time. On the new Skate, it's typical glass/epoxy color at such spots.

I weighed the boards, and they are very similar in weight, around 16-17 lb with straps and foam nose protector. The older board weight in 1/2-1 lb lighter, but the scale is not very accurate, and the new board had slightly damp foot straps. I'll switch to using the older board again to see if it still seems stiffer than the new one.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 12:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's carbon, how it got there..?
Thx for the answers, the gold I was particularly curious about.

FWIW , I was repainting a board, and removed a lot of paint.
The board had what was I believe a factory repair across the bottom, maybe just a crease or bad handling .. It was very odd, I asked a few knowledgeable people and all felt it was done under initial construction.
Brand shall remain unnamed.

U2U2U2

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 2:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the nose of my last project board, the black is carbon.

DW

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Cobra factory is using black pigment to make boards look like carbon. I had a brand owner tell me this.

I also found the same doing a ding repair on a Naish. It was black pigmented micro balloons I found when sanding.
boardsurfr

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

supSURFmachines wrote:
The Cobra factory is using black pigment to make boards look like carbon. I had a brand owner tell me this.

I also found the same doing a ding repair on a Naish. It was black pigmented micro balloons I found when sanding.

Black pigmented micro balloons ... interesting. But for laminating the glass to the PVS, you would not usually add micro balloons to the epoxy, right? And if the black micro balloons are added only to the sealer, would you not see whitish glass fibers when you sand down for a repair? But I guess they might just add another black dye to the epoxy for laminating.
U2U2U2

PostPosted: Sun Jul 17, 2016 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Micro balloons is a epoxy additive, one could add black pigment to the mix of epoxy/ micro balloons mix to create a black look.

Why would...... in this case would you cover it with white paint? If it was supposed to be carbon..you would want the world
If it was sanded to create a carbon look, it would make sense

I use 3 different additives to my epoxy, you can't tell lookin at them any difference, unless it has a different color. I can also if I like use ALL three with the epoxy.

Occcams razor theory : the simplest explanation is usually the correct one.

I acknowledge that I could be wrong. Carbon will sand off different to tinted epoxy, but could be similar to glass, it will have strands of fiber

Who the hell knows what they use at Cobra?
FWIW.. 2,0f the additives / epoxy enhancements are white, like baby powder
The other is low density fairing filler is red,or rust. These being the one from West Systems that I use.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    iWindsurf Community Forum Index -> Windsurfing Discussion All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: